PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

"American Sportsman" Host Gowdy Dead at 86

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

"American Sportsman" Host Gowdy Dead at 86

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:26 pm

FORT MYERS, Fla. - Curt Gowdy, one of the signature voices of sports for a generation and the longtime broadcaster for the Boston Red Sox, died Monday at 86.

He died in Palm Beach after a long battle with leukemia, Red Sox spokeswoman Pam Ganley said.

Gowdy made his broadcasting debut in 1944 and went on to call 13 World Series and 16 All-Star games.

In 1951 Gowdy became main play-by-play voice on the Red Sox broadcast team. He left the Red Sox in 1966 for a 10-year stint as "Game of the Week" announcer for NBC. He was also the longtime host of the "American Sportsman" series.

"He's certainly the greatest play-by-play person up to this point that NBC sports has ever had," NBC Universal Sports chairman [deleted] Ebersol said Monday. "He literally carried the sports division at NBC for so many year on his back. ... He was a remarkable talent and he was an even more remarkable human being."
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:59 pm

Speaking of [deleted] Cheny...., wasn't Gowdy the one that Bobby Knight shot accidentally on a hunt? I may have this confused with another incident but it seems to be in my old man recall

I enjoyed Gowdy in the old days. He had some terrible assignments in some god-awful places.
mrydel

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:09 pm

A great play by play man in his prime, and then got to have fun fishing and hunting on American Sportsman during the off season.
EastStang

Return to Around the Hilltop