PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Daily Campus - again

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Daily Campus - again

Postby PonyFan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:40 pm

Not to re-hash the same old subject, but I went by the campus today and grabbed a copy of the DC. On page 6, there's a big ad touting a summer business program at .... TCU? I realize you sell an ad to whoever wants to pay for it (within reasonable limits), but come on .... TCU? Don't we have a great business school at SMU? And I know the DC is a separate entity and not officially tied to the university, but I don't know. Something is just wrong with this.

I just hope the DC soaked Froggy High for a boatload of cash for that ad.

(And I'd forgotten what my signature was -- makes it a little funnier, at least if you're as tired as I am.)
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:00 pm

they paid full price, and its pretty steep
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:06 pm

any of you six-figure ponies want to buy a billboard across from TCU? That would be great rebuttal.
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

It may be time to boycott the DC

Postby RodeoDC » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:35 pm

This whole thing smacks of gross apostasy to me. To promote the TCU business school (or anything from TCU for that matter) in the SMU campus paper???? It's mindboggling.

Every fall, our pigskin warriors do battle with the heathen from the Town of the Cow. They spill their blood, sweat and tears on the gridiron, all for the sake of extolling the virtues of the Hilltop and for possession of the prized Iron Skillet.

And now, to have a few knuckleheads at the Daily Campus advertising desk deliberately undercut the efforts of our football team, our athletic program, and our fine city is an affront to everything we stand for.

Let the Toads promote themselves. Why must we be the dupes for their agenda?! Why must we slap our own nationally regarded business school in the face?! We are their competitors, man!

And save the "their money is green like everyone else's" speech. I've heard it before, and it holds NO water. The DC could've secured ad money from a host of other entities. They already do. There are abundant advertising dollars in the Metroplex that don't flow from the pools of Cowtown.

Surely someone at the DC objected to this??? The Cox School must be up in arms about this, no?
RodeoDC

Postby blkjack34 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:01 am

I do see where you are coming from, but at the same time, do you really think anybody is going to pay attention to it? To be honest, I didn't even see it today and I'm willing to bet a lot of people didn't see it. I tend to ignore the ads. Also, it's not like some SMU student is going to see the ad an be like "[deleted], maybe i should go to TCU...." The majority of the readers are students at SMU and the ad won't be effective. The way I look at it, the DC made money for an ad that will have no pull.
blkjack34
Recruit

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:05 am

Its an advertisement, get over it.
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:46 am

OK Daily Campus, I appreciate the Equestrian article but in mentioning the team placed fourth, it would have been nice to mention how many teams were entered. Did we come in last? If so, good spin.
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RodeoDC » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:02 am

Black Jack, I understand what you're saying, and hell, you're probably right...no one is going to read/see it/act on it.

That being the case, how dumb are the clowns at TCU, paying money to place an ad in a rival student newspaper, an ad that likely won't yield any fruit. Can we now assume the Toads don't have the best business sense? Or perhaps that their business school has so much money they don't know what to do with it? Or, perhaps they just wanted to stick it to us??

Who knows.

And hey, AusFromHous, what high-falutin stuff do you want to talk about?
This is a forum afterall...these are the kinds of things that make the news on forums. Perhaps I can get you a subscription to the Wall Street Journal - would that interest you?

Or how about this question: Who is your pick for the new AD?
RodeoDC

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:05 am

I can honestly say I have no f-in clue who should be the new AD. I don't know enough about the potential candidates or their qualificiations. In general, I would have to say though, I think it should be someone not currently in the athletic department staff. I think its time for some fresh legs, so to speak, so hopefully we'll get someone from a slightly larger school than us who knows where the bar should be set for SMU, or someone whose taken a struggling school and made it better. Either way, we need somebody whose hungry to win.

As to specific names, I got nothing.
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Return to Around the Hilltop