PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Responds to Lawsuit

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Responds to Lawsuit

Postby Water Pony » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:46 pm

FYI:

February 27, 2006

SMU University Gardens Statement

To clarify information being reported in the media regarding a lawsuit involving SMU’s purchase of the University Gardens condominium complex, we share the following:

SMU policy for the last decade has been to acquire property adjacent to campus for expansion and to prevent incompatible commercial development. University Gardens has been one of several properties of interest in our geographic area.

The lawsuit filed against SMU by attorney Gary Vodicka is a dispute over title to land that was legally acquired by SMU in accordance with homeowner association regulations and Texas law. Mr. Vodicka was an investor-owner who is now seeking an unreasonably and unrealistically high payment from SMU, even though SMU paid above-market prices to him and other owners and investors at University Gardens. SMU has provided the title company with payment for the units he owned, which remains unclaimed at the title company.

Mr. Vodicka is occupying a unit he does not legally own – since SMU now owns the entire complex. Further, he rented three units to unsuspecting tenants who did not know the complex is owned by SMU, had been declared obsolete because of physical problems, and is scheduled for demolition. He is using heightened media interest in SMU to advance his personal claims.
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 93Mustang » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:22 pm

I like that press release. There was an article in this week's Texas Lawyer (a weekly paper for lawyers that is seldom read outside of the legal community) which again made the Plaintiff sound like an opportunistic hack. I'm looking forward to seeing the demolition crews start bulldozing this property to make way for something better - hopefully the Bush Library.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:24 pm

Wait, the A-hole leased the property to unsuspecting tenants? The guy is a crook. Plain and simple.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:28 pm

didn't something like this happen in Revenge of the Nerds. Let the renters move into Dedman until they can join a fraternity or find other housing. :P
Stallion

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:46 pm

What a loser. This guy is a chump. Why create so much a problem over this? ~ oh yea, he's a lawyer...that's what they do.
Pony_Fan

Postby jtstang » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:48 pm

Actually most of us try to solve problems, not create them. You're just jealous because you know the truth--nothing ever happens where the lawyers don't make money.
jtstang

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:59 pm

jtstang wrote:Actually most of us try to solve problems, not create them. You're just jealous because you know the truth--nothing ever happens where the lawyers don't make money.

And he still won't spring for good seats!!! :lol:
mrydel

Postby abezontar » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:35 pm

how is springing for good seats when he doesn't have to going to make him money? I do it too, only now I use my student ID and sit in the shade of the pressbox with some friends. No reason to get myself fried by the sun.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:18 pm

jtstang wrote:Actually most of us try to solve problems, not create them. You're just jealous because you know the truth--nothing ever happens where the lawyers don't make money.

I was trying to explain the finer points of bankruptcy priorities to somebody over the weekend. I gave up and simply stated, "Look, bankruptcy is law. The government is full of lawyers. No law gets passed unless it ensures that first, the lawyers gets their money, and second, the government get its money. If there is anything left over, you might see something ... in a year or two."
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby friarwolf » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:54 pm

jtstang wrote:
Actually most of us try to solve problems, not create them. You're just jealous because you know the truth--nothing ever happens where the lawyers don't make money.

Just like being a bookie...............
:lol:
friarwolf
Heisman

Return to Around the Hilltop