PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Carlton Cooper for AD!

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Carlton Cooper for AD!

Postby RodeoDC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:37 pm

Leave it to the DMN to make the right call. Carlton Cooper is a fantastic choice for AD. I've known Carlton since my days on the Hilltop. The guy is top notch and a former D1 Athlete (Univ. of Texas Longhorn hoopster) himself. He knows the business as an athlete and b/c of his current position in the AD's office. He should be at the top of the list.

Turner, are you listening...this guy has paid his dues, he's respected by players and officials alike. A damn good choice.

Carlton, if you're reading this, you remember who Rodeo is. You and I go way back, 7 or 8 years. You're the real deal, man. I last saw you in October of 05', and I wish you the best of luck with this.
RodeoDC

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:42 pm

DMN made what call? WTF are you talking about?
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RodeoDC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:42 pm

DMN - Dallas Morning News.

Saw it in the online edition...a blurb about Carlton Cooper and another guy being considered for the position.
RodeoDC

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Yeah, like on Wednesday. So this is all about adulation? You are weird.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RodeoDC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:50 pm

Cooper is a good guy, little buddy. I think he should be considered for the spot. God knows he's paid his dues. He was there during my tenure on the Hilltop and he's still knocking around the upper echelons of the Athletic Department. As good a candidate as any other, it would seem.

Supporting a friend is "adulation?" Hmm...sounds like you're overreacting, little man.

I'm here in the DC/NoVa. area. I don't get the freakin' DMN delivered to my crib...you understand - 1300 miles between here and there? I read it online every couple of days. So, forgive me for being so late to the game.
RodeoDC

Postby SMUltimedia » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:17 pm

At risk of interrupting this [deleted] match....

I think Cooper would be a solid choice as well. He has a good rapport with the the athletes and seems to be well respected w/in the administration.

And some contacts in Longhorn nation couldn't hurt either.
SMUltimedia
Junior Varsity

Postby Kappas Are Yummy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:20 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:Yeah, like on Wednesday. So this is all about adulation? You are weird.

A guy who spends all his free time either creating a blog devoted to SMU football or trolling Ponyfans is calling someone else weird? :roll:
Just my two cents.
Kappas Are Yummy
Junior Varsity

Postby McClown27 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:55 am

If one was going to go internally, Secules would be a better pick. It looks like they are not going that direction, so allow RodeoDC to sing his ballad about his relationship with Cooper in the name of toleration. It is better than that one post, where he told that weirdo story about TCU. I read that post once, and then that guy kept posting it in other sections demanding that people read it.
Willis to slot receiver!
McClown27
Heisman

Postby WorldStang » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:23 am

I think they could both be good choices.. but they SHOULD NOT be chosen. SMU needs some fresh blood, new ideas and someone with no link to Copeland.
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby DiamondM75 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:41 pm

WorldStang wrote:I think they could both be good choices.. but they SHOULD NOT be chosen. SMU needs some fresh blood, new ideas and someone with no link to Copeland.

I don't understand why everyone keeps saying we should not promote from within. Yes, some of the candidates (Secules and Cooper) worked for and under Copeland, but that does not mean they are Copeland clones. They just might have their own ideas and programs that Copeland nixed.

One plus that candidates within the department have, is a working knowledge of the university and administration. That said, they need to voice their ideas and how they might work to change the administrations views. They already have a knowledge of how to work SMU politics to accomplish their goals. This is something that an outsider will have to learn and might further delay accomplishments of their goals.

There are two sides to every position of hire from within and hire from outside, but we should not rule out candidates that are currently working within the athletic department just becasue they are currently working within the athletic department.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:50 pm

probably because we don't want anybody that can work within the confines of the current administration-we want someone that has a long list of things that need to be changed in order to become competitive. See Todd Graham article posted the other day. He came out firing at some of the scared cows of Rice athetics-said that Rice athletics needed to change and change immediately- not 20 years from now. This has been arguably the LEAST SUCCESSFUL Division 1A program in the entire country over the last 16 years judged on Championships, Bowl Games, NCAA Tourney appearances. We don't want anyone who finds that acceptance and is not drawing wholesale, major changes to address the problem.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM75 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:13 pm

Stallion wrote:probably because we don't want anybody that can work within the confines of the current administration-we want someone that has a long list of things that need to be changed in order to become competitive. ....

That is what I was saying. Just because they worked for Jim doesn't mean they necessarily agree with everything Jim and the administration does. They already have a working knowledge of the administration and would know how to shake things up from the beginning.

If during the interview process any candidate wants to "stay the course", then scratch their name immediately, but current athletic staff members do have a shorter learning curve and could get things moving quicker.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:24 pm

Stallion wrote:probably because we don't want anybody that can work within the confines of the current administration-we want someone that has a long list of things that need to be changed in order to become competitive. See Todd Graham article posted the other day. He came out firing at some of the scared cows of Rice athetics-said that Rice athletics needed to change and change immediately- not 20 years from now. This has been arguably the LEAST SUCCESSFUL Division 1A program in the entire country over the last 16 years judged on Championships, Bowl Games, NCAA Tourney appearances. We don't want anyone who finds that acceptance and is not drawing wholesale, major changes to address the problem.

I agree with this except the statement about the scared cows. I do not think the cows are scared. Maybe a little antsy or edgy but not scared. :lol:
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:34 pm

you must not have seen how ugly some of Rice's Scared Cows can be!
Stallion

Return to Around the Hilltop