PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Gets a 'Green' Donation

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Gets a 'Green' Donation

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:20 pm

from the DMN:

The J. Lindsay Embrey Engineering Building under construction at Southern Methodist University has attracted an $850,000 conditional commitment from the Kresge Foundation of Troy, Mich.

A $600,000 segment of the pledge is a challenge grant that requires SMU to raise an additional $1.9 million by Jan. 1 to complete the $15.9 million Embrey Building.

The building is scheduled to open this fall.

The Embrey building will also get an unrestricted bonus grant of up to $250,000 if it receives Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification by the U.S. Green Building Council.

The council has established national standards for designing and building energy-managed and environmentally sustainable buildings.

"The Kresge Foundation is one of the most respected foundations in the country, and its support is an affirmation of the importance of this project," said SMU president R. Gerald Turner.

The grant "will enable us to complete funding for a greatly needed new building and, at the same time, broaden the base of future support for the SMU School of Engineering."

The Embrey Engineering Building will house the Department of Environmental and Civil Engineering and Department of Mechanical Engineering.

It will be part of SMU's East Quadrangle, a new entrance to the campus from North Central Expressway. The building is named in honor of the late Lindsay Embrey and his wife, Bobbie, who provided the lead gift for the building.

As a "green" building, it will maximize energy efficiency, water savings and indoor environmental quality.

"While LEED-certified buildings are a fast-growing national trend, they are new to North Texas," said Geoffrey Orsak, dean of the School of Engineering.

"Therefore, constructing the Embrey Building to LEED guidelines will raise awareness of environmental issues for other construction in the area."

The Kresge Foundation, an independent, private foundation established in 1924, provides grants to institutions in the fields of higher education, health and long-term care, arts and humanities, human services, science and the environment, and public affairs.

Grants are made on a challenge basis, requiring the recipients to raise the remaining funds needed to complete projects. In 2005, the Kresge Foundation awarded more than 200 grants for a total of $131.8 million to recipients in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, South Africa and Mexico.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LonghornFan68 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:12 pm

This seems odd. LEED accreditation is difficult to get and the attempt to get a building certified usually needs to be handled as early as project conception. If I read the article correctly, it seems like the contractors and others involved are trying to get LEED accreditation somewhat late in the process. It's difficult to get if the building wasn't planned and designed according to LEED criteria. I wish them the best, though. It's a very prestigious honor to say that your building is LEED accredited.
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby jtstang » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:35 pm

It's been LEED from the beginning.
jtstang

Postby LonghornFan68 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:35 pm

jtstang wrote:It's been LEED from the beginning.

Then I misread the article. I tend to skim sometimes. Heh.
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby jtstang » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:43 pm

I did not read the article, I've just noticed the signs at the construction site.
jtstang

Postby LonghornFan68 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:26 pm

jtstang wrote:I did not read the article, I've just noticed the signs at the construction site.

Well, like I said, I hope they achieve their goal because that is a very prestigious recognition.
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Return to Around the Hilltop