PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If anyone needs to add any weight:

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

If anyone needs to add any weight:

Postby Corso » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:57 am

Anyone else find this as disgusting and unappetizing as I do?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Illinois team counts on calories to draw attention
ESPN.com news services

Homer Simpson would love the newest taste sensation in minor league baseball: the donut burger.

We kid you not. The Gateway Grizzlies of the Frontier League promised to create "Baseball's Best Burger" in time for the team's opener in late May. And they appear to have succeeded.

The ballpark sandwich will include a hamburger topped with sharp cheddar cheese and two slices of bacon -- all between a "bun" of Krispy Kreme Original Glazed donuts.

If you can find a (loop)hole in your cardiologist's advice, calorie counters predict the monster will set you back about 1,100 calories and 60 grams of fat.

"We have had the opportunity to bring in a new concession item for the past two seasons and each of them have been very successful. We look forward to Baseball's Best Burger and the excitement it will bring to the ballpark," said Grizzlies general manager Tony Funderburg.

It could be the hottest sandwich to hit the sports world since the Roethlisburger. That sandwich, invented in 2004 to honor Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, is available at a place called Peppi's and includes ground beef, sausage, scrambled eggs, grilled onions and American cheese.

The Grizzlies are no strangers to self-promotion through caloric innovation. Two years ago they introduced what they called "Baseball's Best Hotdog," a dog topped with two strips of bacon, sauteed onions, sauerkraut and cheddar cheese sauce. They upped the ante last year with the "Swiss Brat," a bratwurst with a slice of Swiss cheese in the middle of it, topped with sauerkraut.

The independent team, headquartered near St. Louis in Sauget, Ill., is in its sixth year of operation.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby abezontar » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:15 am

We need to be doing this kind of thing, maybe we can get some of the vendors from the State Fair to bring in their fired twinkies, snickers bars, etc. in addition to creating our own unique items to market and get people to games.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:39 am

Sounds like what Bamba Fall needs to be eating this coming year!!! I think we ought to really look at our food service folks to come up with some attractive stadium food that is unique and tasty. My last hot dog was cold and gray. And what's weird is that SMU cafeteria food was by and large very good during my days there. (Trust me, I've seen some really bad cafeterias over the years). If the food is good at games that helps attendence.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:53 am

We also need some more unique attractions within Ford during game day to make it a tourist attraction, beyond the idea that it is the only place to see D-1A ball live in Dallas. I don't know what, but maybe some tradition we could start that we do that nobody else does that has to be seen to be believed, something that people would want to come in and of itself to see us do.....I'm thinking we take out the grass on the hill, keep it wet and have a 3 hour long coed mud wrestling tournament.....seriously though, anybody got any unique ideas?

abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:25 pm

Hey, I thought the fireworks with the lingering grass fire was very entertaining.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby abezontar » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:45 pm

ok, then lets do it every game, so that people will want to come out to see the cool fires

abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:11 pm

Its the only place in Dallas where you can see a live shetland pony run across a football field. Peruna always hangs out on the boulevard and kids pet him. I mean where else can you get that kind of family entertainment for the $$$. Or bring out a ram to stand next to Peruna and see if he repeats the 1935 slaughter of the Fordham ram. PETA might not go for that. Speaking of PETA did you know that here in Virginia they are suing the Ringling Brothers Circus for spying on them. (I am not making this up). And the Circus is countersuing them for spying on the circus. Damn, I knew I should have gone into one of those courtrooms yesterday.
EastStang

Postby couch 'em » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:02 pm

abezontar wrote:seriously though, anybody got any unique ideas?

I always thought it would be nice to host events in the stadium right after games, but you have to go to the game before halftime to get in. Smallish events that draw decently, but not too big. Maybe amature boxing or cagefighting/MMA events, local band performance (no, not marching band, rock band) or some other such thing that people will want to see. We get more people, they get a FREE venue for their event.
couch 'em

Postby The XtC » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:55 pm

Amateur MMA/cagefights would probably not happen. Last September the TDLR (Dept. of License and Registration) raised the bond, insurance and license fees for amateur shows, so now they're the same as professional shows. Since then, there hasnt been an amateur show in Texas, all the promoters would rather do a pro show and make more money, since the initial costs are the same.

On the other hand, the lower level pro shows have been doing very well, one filled the Dr. Pepper Star center 2 weeks ago, and another sold out the Verizon Wireless theater so fast they're moving their next show to the Toyota Center.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:25 pm

I didn't know you were a fan. I recently started getting into watching MMA over the last 9 months or so after I bought some PrideFC DVDs. Is there any sport you don't know about?
couch 'em

Postby The XtC » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:55 pm

I did martial arts when I was a kid, and I've been a fan of the UFC since it started in 1993. A little over a year ago I wanted to get back into shape, so I started working out at Lions Den. I go to most of the local MMA shows, particularly when someone I know is fighting. The next professional show in Dallas is April 29th. The next season of TUF starts April 6th.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:54 pm

I've been doing bjj for a few months..... no MMA aspirations though, haha.
couch 'em

Postby SMUPhil » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:12 pm

I'm looking forward to getting into MMA, the Marines actually have a whole program that you move up in, and the belt you wear with your uniform represents the level you're up to.

I did some very basic BJJ while at SMU, nothing serious, and thoroughly got my butt kicked.

Sounds like we've got our first promotion lined up:

Couch 'em vs XTC, 50 yard line after the UAB game!!! Bring your kids, neighbors, pet birds, this will be a fight to remember!
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby The XtC » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:07 am

Perhaps not such a great idea, considering that couch and I are probably in drastically different weight divisions.

couch, where do you train? Are you going to do any of the local tournaments this summer?
The XtC
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:18 am

Well if the last month is any indication I'll be in your weight range soon, I'm sure, haha. I train at DFW Jiu Jitsu, at the Dallas Gun Club on Mockingbird, under two Carlos Machado black belts James Brown and Robert DiFranco. I'll probably try to hit up a tourney or two this summer, I haven't been to one before and I'm told its a great learning experiance. Right now I'm exclusively training Gi until I get a good base of skills.
couch 'em

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop