PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Maybe Ponyswoggled but not Hornswoggled

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby jtstang » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:55 am

friarwolf wrote:No kidding???????

He may not be everone's cup of tea but through his wife, he kinda belongs to us so if he wants to "stain" some of SMU's dirt with a Presidential Library, I say, "come on, bring it on." By the way, I think Clinton was a polarizing kind of dude but if he had suddenly decided to put his library on the SMU campus, I would have said, "welcome" to him as well..............

I'm not suggesting the bookmobile shouldn't come to the Hilltop. I mean, it's been a long time since SMU's been the subject of a terrorist attack...

Seriously, if nothing else, it'd be a financial boon for SMU, so bring it on.

And I think the writer's point was that the dirt was stained by the acts of SMU, not by Dubya this time, surprisingly...
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby couch 'em » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:19 pm

jtstang wrote:Bottom line--what happened happened, and whether it was for the library or something else, people were forced out of their homes who did not want to leave. I think whether they got paid market value or not is beside the point of the guy's article, which was to call a spade a spade.

The problem is that he is not 'calling a spade a spade', he's making outlandish and exaggerated descriptions of said spade. Lets get serious - the people living in those condos were given the value of their condo and a long time to take care of relocating. The article makes it seem like we went door to door kicking people out to the street.
couch 'em

Postby jtstang » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:52 pm

As I read it, the article says only that SMU forced people into selling who did not want to. Which is entirely accurate. Now that fact that the writer has a problem with that is something he does not try to hide, but then again, the ethics of the play SMU made might be legitimately viewed as questionable.

And again, whether they got fair market value and plenty of time to move is not his point.
jtstang

Postby friarwolf » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:43 pm

This thing goes well beyond a building. It would be buildings and a new school of public policy. I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 500MM invested.

Like the guy or not, he presided over one of the most turbulent and history changing chapters in our country. Scholars will flock to this library to do research on he and his presidency as well as America's reaction to the attack. His library will be very different in the way it is used from the typical presidential library.
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby abezontar » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:45 pm

Out of curiosity, would the school of public policy incorporate the polictical science department?
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop