PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chances of getting in

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Chances of getting in

Postby BUTitan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:00 pm

What would you say are my chances of getting in to my college choices? I have a 3.4 GPA, am in NHS, and my parents both went to BU. I have a parent that works at BU and try to go to the Premiere's and such as much as possible. My plan is to make a 27-30 on my ACT, which thats not a hope but more of a guess. Oh i'm in the High School class of 2007 and live in Texas.

I plan on Applying to : Baylor, SMU, TCU, Texas State, & Alabama
BUTitan
Varsity

Postby SMUPhil » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:11 pm

What school and district are you in?

You say you have a 3.4, but what kind of classes are you taking? Any AP/honors classes?

Do you do anything else in high school besides NHS? Sports, band, student council?

Also, just curious, but I thought you had to have a 3.5 to be in NHS.

So far, I'd say you have a great shot at BU, TSU, and Bama, TCU and SMU may want to see a little more in terms of the questions I asked above.
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby friarwolf » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:36 pm

Alabama and Texas State are no brainers. SEC schools other than Georgia are a piece of cake to get into. TCU is fairly easiy especially if you apply for early admission. Baylor too, but they are getting tougher - early admission application is a must.

SMU is going to be tough. They want a minimum of a 3.5 and a SAT of 1220 or higher. If you don't have that, you better find someone who can pull strings and even that isn't a guarantee anymore. Schedule a visit to the campus on Mustang Mondays, send a letter to the admissions officer who is in charge of your school (your school counselor should know who that is ) after you visit and apply for early enrollment. I know of several kids this year who had 1230's and 3.5 gpa's but didn't come for a visit and got turned down. Good luck to you!
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby BUTitan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:39 pm

I'm in Band and play Basketball. I go to Robinson High School in Robinson, Texas and I'm graduating distinguished, which means i'll have about 12 college credits. Robinson NHS is a 3.2 GPA.
BUTitan
Varsity

Postby BUTitan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:42 pm

Thanks for all the help,btw.

Here right now is my order of colleges: Baylor,SMU,Alabama,TCU,Texas State

I feel like i'm on Rivals or something. :lol:
BUTitan
Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:10 pm

friarwolf wrote: I know of several kids this year who had 1230's and 3.5 gpa's but didn't come for a visit and got turned down. Good luck to you!

Wow, things have changed. Circa 2001, you did not brag that you were accept to SMU, you bragged about how much scholarship money they were going to give you.

Then you listened to 20 minutes of "why would you want to go to school with snobby rich kids?!?!"
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:37 am

BUTitan wrote:Thanks for all the help,btw.

Here right now is my order of colleges: Baylor,SMU,Alabama,TCU,Texas State

I feel like i'm on Rivals or something. :lol:
Just wondering: what are you choosing as a major?
MrMustang1965

Postby DiamondM75 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:52 am

BUTitan wrote:I'm in Band and play Basketball. I go to Robinson High School in Robinson, Texas and I'm graduating distinguished, which means i'll have about 12 college credits. Robinson NHS is a 3.2 GPA.

What instrument do you play?

The Mustang Band is always looking for good players and might be able to help with admission to SMU. Sometimes a student on the bubble gets put on a wait list and it takes a little nudging from someone in the university to say "hey, we need this kid" and that student gets admitted. I suggest you talk to the band directors at SMU.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:58 am

But the truly best way to get in is to run a 4.3 40 and have a rocket launcher arm. Unless of course its SMU then you need all that 1300/ 3.5 stuff too.
mrydel

Postby MustangFan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:16 pm

friarwolf wrote:Alabama and Texas State are no brainers. SEC schools other than Georgia are a piece of cake to get into.
And Vanderbilt, of course.

friarwolf wrote:SMU is going to be tough. They want a minimum of a 3.5 and a SAT of 1220 or higher....
Anyone know the formula for how those balance out? For instance, I went to high school outside of Texas, and my GPA when I graduated was a 2.7 or something. But I got a 1460 on the SAT, and got in to SMU. (And, just to show you that there is absolutely NO logic to all of this, I also got turned out by Tennessee. Perhaps I should have run mrydel's proposed 4.3....)
MustangFan
All-American

Postby BUTitan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:57 pm

DiamondM75 wrote:
BUTitan wrote:I'm in Band and play Basketball. I go to Robinson High School in Robinson, Texas and I'm graduating distinguished, which means i'll have about 12 college credits. Robinson NHS is a 3.2 GPA.

What instrument do you play?

The Mustang Band is always looking for good players and might be able to help with admission to SMU. Sometimes a student on the bubble gets put on a wait list and it takes a little nudging from someone in the university to say "hey, we need this kid" and that student gets admitted. I suggest you talk to the band directors at SMU.

I play Tenor Sax, would I have to be a music major?
BUTitan
Varsity

Postby SMUPhil » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:16 pm

No you definitely do not need to be a music major to 1) join the band or 2) receive scholarship money. The Mustang Band (marching/basketball bands) is not a part of the music school, so they can give out scholarship money to whoever they see fit, regardless of major.

Check out http://www.mustangband.com, fill out the "request more information" thing and send an email to the directors.

Also, feel free to ask any questions you have about the band on here, several posters are band alumni and are still involved. Particularly DiamondM75, and he's a tenor sax guy as well.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:40 pm

SMUPhil wrote:No you definitely do not need to be a music major to 1) join the band or 2) receive scholarship money. The Mustang Band (marching/basketball bands) is not a part of the music school, so they can give out scholarship money to whoever they see fit, regardless of major.

Check out http://www.mustangband.com, fill out the "request more information" thing and send an email to the directors.

Also, feel free to ask any questions you have about the band on here, several posters are band alumni and are still involved. Particularly DiamondM75, and he's a tenor sax guy as well.

And work on that 40 time!
mrydel

Postby SMUPhil » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:41 pm

Indeed!
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby BUTitan » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:48 am

mrydel wrote:
SMUPhil wrote:No you definitely do not need to be a music major to 1) join the band or 2) receive scholarship money. The Mustang Band (marching/basketball bands) is not a part of the music school, so they can give out scholarship money to whoever they see fit, regardless of major.

And work on that 40 time!

I've got it down to a 5.3 but with my 5'7" 145 lbs. frame, I'm a shooo in
BUTitan
Varsity

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop