PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

D-FW area ranks No. 2 in job growth

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

D-FW area ranks No. 2 in job growth

Postby Cheesesteak » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:00 am

D-FW area ranks No. 2 in job growth, study says

Dallas Business Journal - Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Dallas-Fort Worth ranks second only to the Phoenix area in job growth in 2005, according to a study released Tuesday.

The Dallas-Fort Worth area added 79,400 jobs from December 2004 to December 2005, bringing total employment to 2,827,100. The area was second only to the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale region of Arizona, which added 106,100 new jobs last year. Houston-Baytown-Sugar Land ranked third on the list with 75,100 new jobs, according to a compilation of Bureau of Labor Statistics Data by the North Texas Commission.

"It is no surprise that the Metroplex has seen a dramatic increase in job growth in 2005," says Dan S. Petty, president and CEO of the commission, a nonprofit regional advocacy group that promotes economic vitality and quality of life in North Texas.

"The 79,400 new jobs, a sharp increase over 2004's turnaround gain of 30,000 new jobs, is evidence that increased facilities and corporate expansions spawn new job creation and growth."

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics data, the professional/business services segment added the most jobs with 22,200. The natural resources/mining/construction sector had the highest percentage increase in jobs, with an 8.2 percent rise in jobs.

"This is great news for our region, and it confirms what we have suspected," said Wendy A. Lopez, CEO of LopezGarcia Group, a Dallas-based engineering firm. "The greatest challenge we are currently facing is finding good people to fill these jobs. As a medium-sized engineering design and environmental planning firm of 175 people, we are currently looking to fill 20 open positions."
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:01 am

Its amazing what Dallas can accomplish when a Hurricane hits Louisiana.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby me@smu » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Are you kidding me? Stallion, you can be a serious dipsh*t sometimes.
Prior to the hurricane, perhaps you didn't realize that the metroplex has passed all but NYC for having corporate 500 headquarters? Perhaps you don't realize that because our housing market is approximately 10 to 15% undervalued, it will draw both people and businesses to this area? Or perhaps you are just in a permanent state of despair about life and can't understand that there are such things as positives.
me@smu
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:44 pm

Hey Erik Johnson-calm down!-I'm a Sixth Generation Dallas-site not just Texan and trace my roots in Dallas to December 1845 before Dallas was even a City-it was a Joke-but those statistics were obviously skewed due to the enormous migration of refugees from Louisiana. So Oh My Gawd get over it.
Stallion

Postby RE Tycoon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:57 pm

Last article I read citing Fortune 500 companies had Houston behind NYC. I did a rough count and got 43 for Houston and 31 for Dallas. I counted each city and it's immediate suburbs, but not Ft. Worth. If you add Ft. Worth and Southlake that would add 5 or 6 and if you do the same for Houston 2 or 3. I love Dallas, but you should always have your facts straight.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/ ... tes/T.html
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:03 pm

I live outside of DC our housing prices are so inflated its unbelievable and we're still growing. I don't get it, but I'll keep watching that equity keep on coming.
EastStang

Return to Around the Hilltop