PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Law School Top Tier

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Law School Top Tier

Postby LawSchoolPony » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:17 pm

Just in: our Business Enterprise Law professor just handed out a copy of this year's US News law school rankings, and SMU is back in the top tier at #43!!!

We were #52 last year after the formula for rankings was changed, (we were #47 2 years ago), but after an outcry about the new formula's effect on diversity in law schools, they changed back to the original formula for this year.

Good job SMU, being in the top 50 is a BIG deal for the law school...

P.S.: UT dropped a bit to #16, and Baylor is #51
LawSchoolPony
Junior Varsity

Postby friarwolf » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:55 pm

way to go smu!!!!!!!! maybe one of these days, our football and basketball teams will be ranked, too.
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby LonghornFan68 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:59 pm

Wow, I thought SMU Law was a lot higher than that.
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby abezontar » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:22 pm

Remember you need to take these with a grain of salt because most law schools don't, and a lot of independent sources don't like the way that US News does their rankings for Law Schools. I know if you talk to the Dean he will give you a lot of reasons why SMU should be higher rated, and other ranking systems that are more widely accepted by law schools as better ranking systems that SMU is higher in.

Unfortunately for the lay person US News is the known ranking system for schools so it is the one that gets the most attention.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:39 pm

just what we need - another %$## ambulance-chaser!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:01 pm

Maybe you'll catch up with my law school alma mater someday?
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUPhil » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:29 pm

Plus you have to keep in mind that the spread from top to bottom is going to be a lot closer when looking at graduate programs, compared to undergrad rankings.

It's like the old saying "what do you call the guy that got C's at one of the worst medical schools in the country? A doctor."
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby LawSchoolPony » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:12 pm

I'm pretty sure this is the highest SMU has been ranked...so its definitely progress. The rankings are important - but in reality, SMU Law is a regional-based school w/ most of our grads working in the South and Southwest. The Dallas law community is packed w/ SMU grads obviously, and lucky for us, the Dallas legal market is a big one.

Honestly, as long as we are in the top tier, and ranked higher than Baylor, I'm happy! [/b]
LawSchoolPony
Junior Varsity

Postby SteveCumbie1 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:27 pm

Honestly, as long as we are in the top tier, and ranked higher than Baylor, I'm happy!

Exactly. Me too.
SteveCumbie1

Postby OR-See-Nee » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:05 pm

Remember, that the law school is tied with six other schools at 43. That means we are anywhere from 43 to 49, not necessarily a large step up from 52. And part of the reason for the increase is that US News & World Report changed its methodology. I'm not a law school hater, I'm a big supporter, but I am a realist. There is still a lot of work to be done.
OR-See-Nee
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:28 am

Thought you might enjoy the drama that is going down at the University of Houston. Houston Law Center, once ranked by US News ahead of SMU (back when I graduated from there, of course), has plummeted to 70.

There was a joint meeting of faculty and students last week. It got so bad, the dean "allegedly" burst into tears. Now, the Dean has resigned.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/3800126.html
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jtstang » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:19 am

SMU Football Blog wrote:Thought you might enjoy the drama that is going down at the University of Houston. Houston Law Center, once ranked by US News ahead of SMU (back when I graduated from there, of course), has plummeted to 70.

There was a joint meeting of faculty and students last week. It got so bad, the dean "allegedly" burst into tears. Now, the Dean has resigned.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/3800126.html

This is clearly the result of the blogster's departure. You should return immediately as dean.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:33 am

OH MY GOD!!! LOL

is this what our education system has come to??? LOL

i think i need me a tenured position so i can sit back & be emotional & pass judgement on the world!!!

LOL
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Around the Hilltop