PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Undergrad is 71 in USNEWS

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Kappas Are Yummy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:52 am

LonghornFan68 wrote:
Kappas Are Yummy wrote:PREDICTION: 15 minutes until Longhornfan68 swoops in to defend UT's honor...

What's to defefnd? The numbers speak for themselves. UT is still ranked ahead of SMU despite the fact that it has some really weak programs (ie - Liberal Arts).

Good try at a lame insult, though. :roll:

If you have 520 posts on a SMU board, what's your post count for an actual UT board?
Just my two cents.
Kappas Are Yummy
Junior Varsity

Postby RedRiverPony » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:18 am

You're questioning LonghornFan68? I mean, I root against UT, as a rule (sorry, LF68), but come on, he has more genuine support for SMU than many on this board, and his posts are more thought-out and constructive than those posted by many others. He's one person who can safely be called an asset to this board. What's your hidden agenda with him?
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby LonghornFan68 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:04 am

Kappas Are Yummy wrote:
LonghornFan68 wrote:
Kappas Are Yummy wrote:PREDICTION: 15 minutes until Longhornfan68 swoops in to defend UT's honor...

What's to defefnd? The numbers speak for themselves. UT is still ranked ahead of SMU despite the fact that it has some really weak programs (ie - Liberal Arts).

Good try at a lame insult, though. :roll:

If you have 520 posts on a SMU board, what's your post count for an actual UT board?

Currently, 7999 on hornfans.com. Anything else you'd like to know? Guess I should do something cool for my 8000th.
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:04 pm

Fresh wrote:Are you surprised? Texas high schools rank at or near the bottom of every major ranking (graduation rates, percentage of grads going on to college, standardized test scores, dropout rates, etc.), too. Personally, I think the administrations at Texas colleges - from Rice down to TCU - do a pretty solid job of putting together a curriculum that allows students to get a good education, if they choose to put in the necessary effort.

California has the exact same problems.

Carve out illegals and recent immigrants and you get a much different picture.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby couch 'em » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:32 pm

Too bad our politicans are, for the most part, too cowardly to do just that. Mexico is commiting a form of bio-warfare by intentionally dumping their poverty problem on us.
couch 'em

Postby LonghornFan68 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:33 pm

couch 'em wrote:Too bad our politicans are, for the most part, too cowardly to do just that. Mexico is commiting a form of bio-warfare by intentionally dumping their poverty problem on us.

Interesting take.
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:36 pm

LonghornFan68 wrote:
couch 'em wrote:Too bad our politicans are, for the most part, too cowardly to do just that. Mexico is commiting a form of bio-warfare by intentionally dumping their poverty problem on us.

Interesting take.

It is true. They AGRESSIVELY defend their southern boarder, while encouraging their poor to sneak through ours. That shrinks their poor while ensuring more and more money gets sent back to Mexico from the US. It's a genius plan, really.
couch 'em

Postby abezontar » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:11 pm

Just remember that the next time you eat a fast food burger that without that illegal immigrent labor you would be paying quite a bit more for that burger.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby abezontar » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:12 pm

And if you want to talk about things the government doesn't have the balls to address logically lets talk about the drug war.

abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:13 pm

abezontar wrote:Just remember that the next time you eat a fast food burger that without that illegal immigrent labor you would be paying quite a bit more for that burger.

Actually, illegals only have about 10% of the food preperation market, from what I've seen, because they can't be paid in cash like day laborers are. More jobs for high school kids and others down on their luck. And if we really want them to come work at mcdonalds, we can make it easier for them to come legally. Otherwise I'm fine with a price increase - it might prevent me from eating so many of them :lol:
couch 'em

Postby couch 'em » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:16 pm

abezontar wrote:And if you want to talk about things the government doesn't have the balls to address logically lets talk about the drug war.

Clearly we need full legalization, or at minimum legalization of marijuana. By principle, where does the government draw its right to tell me what I can put in my body? I own my body, not the government.

Plus, marijuana legalization would be no more harmful than alcohol legalization was - its really the same thing.

Plus I'm sick of my taxes going to lock up thousands of dudes who would probably just be sitting at home smoking out right now bothering nobody.
couch 'em

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:21 pm

I hear the time bomb ticking on this thread. Careful guys. :wink:
mrydel

Postby couch 'em » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:38 pm

mrydel wrote:I hear the time bomb ticking on this thread. Careful guys. :wink:

And to sum up, SMU should market soccer to the illegals, and pass out marijuana to keep the subdued enough for the HP locals. . . . . .
couch 'em

Postby abezontar » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:59 pm

I don't really mean in the retail food service, but when you look at who is working in the food processing plants, who is picking the tomatoes and lettuce for those burgers, really any foodstuff that hasn't had an automated harvesting mechanism developed for it is picked mainly by migrant workers who are here illegally, and they are usually making less than minimum wage.

abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby abezontar » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:08 pm

And why shouldn't we be marketing our soccer program to the large hispanic population of Dallas? Especially those that live closer to the city. We are now closer than FC Dallas up in Frisco (why isn't anyone upset that we lost FC Dallas to Frisco?), and if we sold tickets for a dollar we could probably get some people on campus that love soccer, and would be looking for a local team to root for since they can't watch their national team all that often.

abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop