PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tool at McFarlin

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tool at McFarlin

Postby couch 'em » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:24 pm

I don't suppose someone has tickets for Tool at McFarlin???
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smu diamond m » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:52 pm

i heard they were going for $300

which means no.
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:03 pm

Dang. I thought this was going to be an interesting anecdote about some a-hole you met at the auditorium.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:10 pm

KnuckleStang wrote:Dang. I thought this was going to be an interesting anecdote about some a-hole you met at the auditorium.

Might be
mrydel

Postby LonghornFan68 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:19 am

I thought this was a thread about the new basketball coach.

I kid, I kid.
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby Kappas Are Yummy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:09 am

I saw George Clinton at McFarlin my freshman year. It was the second time I went in there after sitting there after "the walk" through Dallas Hall.

Anyone else see that show?

Or maybe a better question is anyone remember the show? :D
Just my two cents.
Kappas Are Yummy
Junior Varsity

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:52 am

Kappas Are Yummy wrote:I saw George Clinton at McFarlin my freshman year. It was the second time I went in there after sitting there after "the walk" through Dallas Hall.

Not sure when you caught him but I can remember the smell of weed coming down all the way from McFarlin down to the then Freshman quad. I think it actually overpowered the smell of the Mrs. Baird's bread for a day.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:01 am

Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex wrote:
Kappas Are Yummy wrote:I saw George Clinton at McFarlin my freshman year. It was the second time I went in there after sitting there after "the walk" through Dallas Hall.

Not sure when you caught him but I can remember the smell of weed coming down all the way from McFarlin down to the then Freshman quad. I think it actually overpowered the smell of the Mrs. Baird's bread for a day.

Was that George or Bill?
mrydel

Postby The Stampede » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:14 am

Kappas Are Yummy - I was there (my sophomore year), but I don't really remember it either! I had too much fun that night.
"Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise."
The Stampede
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed May 10, 2006 5:31 pm

Here's a 'review' (albeit a late one!) of the Tool concert from the Star-Telegram:

DALLAS - As Tool shows go, the one at McFarlin Auditorium at Southern Methodist University was pretty standard -- which is to say, extraordinary.

This arty metal-rock band from Los Angeles handily surpasses most of its peers at live performance. Dramatic presence, musical chops, artistic vision, sophistication, coordination of visuals with music, breathtaking collaboration, sense of purpose and just-plain overall good taste: This band has it all, and all of that was evident Monday night.

But there was more to this event than showmanship. The tour, a short run of warm-up dates preceding a trip to Europe, made stops only at theaters and other smallish venues with 2,000 seats or less.

It came right on the heels of Tool's latest CD, 10,000 Days, which was released last week.

The net effect was a frenzy for entry to the show, with furious scalping action, especially on eBay, where single tickets reached $500. (The official price was $66.66 - how characteristically droll of Tool.)

Shelly Walker, 23, of Coppell bought a pair of tickets on eBay, for which she paid $535.

"I had to - it was the only way I could get tickets," she said. "Tool is my boyfriend's favorite band."

McFarlin's 1,200 seats were, of course, sold out, which gave the auditorium an air of hysteria, with fans torn between celebrating Tool's return after a five-year hiatus, and a kind of pinch-me jubilation at being able to score one of the sought-after seats.

A small-stage performance by a band ordinarily plays arenas is like an exercise in compression; they've become versed in the broader gestures required to reach tens of thousands of people. Tool's tribal rhythms and mighty waves of guitar are already potent.

So this really was a larger-than-life experience, as affecting on older cuts such as Forty Six & 2 as material from the new CD such as the climactic Jambi.

The quartet's ability to start and stop on a dime reached virtuoso heights; set against a backdrop of four panels throbbing with jewel-toned colors and abstract organic shapes, it had a multimedia effect that seemed certain to linger long after the night was over.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/entertainment/14544114.htm
MrMustang1965

Postby jtstang » Wed May 10, 2006 5:37 pm

Dang, too bad nobody wants to see SMU play basketball this bad.
jtstang

Postby couch 'em » Wed May 10, 2006 6:37 pm

I'm waiting for the "maybe the band should play Tool" comments.....
couch 'em

Postby MustangStealth » Thu May 11, 2006 11:40 am

They could do Tool in the style of Herb Alpert. It would be a classic.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Thu May 11, 2006 3:04 pm

I know this is a joke, but it might actually work. Think "Richard Cheese" and how popular his stuff is.
couch 'em

Return to Around the Hilltop