PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Talk about botching PR...

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Talk about botching PR...

Postby RE Tycoon » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:19 pm

You think SMU is bad at PR? In steps the clueless Houston Texans (my favorite team). The only way to appease all the pissed off VY fans is to draft the Michael Jordan of football, Reggie Bush (the matchup problems he presented got my sports willy going). But no, they go and draft Mario Williams, who on the surface look slike a solid pick. But if you follow the team you know that they just signed Anthony Weaver (with a $12 million bonus) to play left end, Mario Williams' same position. So ponyfans [deleted] and moan all you want about SMU 's PR skills but we've got nothing on the people down I-45.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:36 pm

That was a stupid choice, imo. If they needed anything,they needed an Offensive Tackle and Ferguson would have been the best choice. They could have traded down and gotten what they really needed. I won't be surprised if Casserly is gone by the end of the year. He's really done a craptacular job of building that team. Hopefully David Carr will actually get time to throw instead of being on his back all the time.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:26 pm

Texans' GM Charley Casserly had this to say on 610 KILT-AM in Houston tonight...

Casserly says money was not an issue and that they signed the player they wanted...

Casserly says in the last 24 hours, he told Mario that he was the guy and if they reached a deal, it would confirm it...

Said the decision was made in the last 24 hours...

Said Reggie Bush will be an explosive player, but the defensive impact of the Texans needed to be improved saying that it's hard to find defensive end. Said there was a greater need at DE because Texans move to 4-3 from 3-4 defense...

Cassserly said if Bush wasn't in this draft, Williams would be #1 so it came down to offense vs defense, so defense won out, as both players were #1s...

Williams is a "heck of a football player" and the Texans are going to take the best players available, so nothing is certain about the Texans taking a RB in future rounds...

Says Domanick Davis, current Texans RB is ideal for the running game that will be implemented under new coach Gary Kubiak...

Says Williams' attitude is like that of Texans WR Andre Johnson, which is one of the highest compliments he can give...

Casserly reiterated that it's his pick and that the Texans fans should be supportive of the player and take their anger out on him...

Williams compares to Julius Peppers in college says Casserly...

Comparisons being made to 2002 draft when David Carr was rated #1 offensively and Juliuis Peppers was #1 defensively...
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:35 pm

Williams is bigger (a little) than Peppers was coming out of college, but not as polished a pass rusher and not quite as quick (although he certainly can move). I'm not a big fan of Anthony Weaver, either, but Williams will be the Sam Bowie of this draft.

Wasn't Casserly the G.M. in Washington who called Heath Shuler "the player we've wanted"?

This move is a mistake for the Texans. Williams might turn out to be a decent player, but Bush will be unreal in New Orleans (or with whatever team trades up to get him).
PonyPride

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:56 pm

PonyPride wrote:Wasn't Casserly the G.M. in Washington who called Heath Shuler "the player we've wanted"?

Yep, he sure was.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby Dubbya » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:39 am

And to think Paul Tagliabue has got to be furious. He's spent the last month trying to learn how to pronounce "Nnabuife."
Dubbya
Junior Varsity

Postby RE Tycoon » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:51 am

Thing about Casserly is that it's been public kowledge since game 12 of last years NFL season that he would be gone. After the season they said he will be held on until after the draft, and then take some position with the NFL (forced to step down, but gets to exit on his own terms). There is NO way he should have been allowed to participate in this draft. As far as I'm concerend he's only drafted two good players,: Andre Johnson and Dunta Robinson. I'm sick to my stomach and want to cry...way to go Texans
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:54 am

Current STUDent wrote:As far as I'm concerend he's only drafted two good players,: Andre Johnson and Dunta Robinson.

Carr will be a good NFL QB, when they start blocking for him.
CalallenStang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:45 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
Current STUDent wrote:As far as I'm concerend he's only drafted two good players,: Andre Johnson and Dunta Robinson.

Carr will be a good NFL QB, when they start blocking for him.
The same can be said for a certain former SMU QB who is now with the Detroit Lions.
MrMustang1965

Postby EastStang » Mon May 01, 2006 9:53 am

Casserly was assistant GM during the Redskins hey days in the 80's under Bobby Beathard. He was then promoted and did a terrible job in the post Gibbs transition period although he did pick up Davis and Ferrotte was a steal. I remember when he was in his first year as Assistant GM, the Skins started out 0-5, and Beathard was invited to speak at a joint dinner of the Arlington County Medical Society and Bar Association. He passed and sent Casserly instead. Casserly gave a wholly boring talk and toward the end he knew he was losing the audience so he started reeling off the names of the docters and lawyers for the Redskins. As he finished the list, Federal Judge Oren Lewis raised his hand and asked what has to be the greatest question ever asked. "Who is the team gynocologist?"
EastStang

Return to Around the Hilltop