PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Trent Redden on the NFL draft

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Trent Redden on the NFL draft

Postby Lefty » Tue May 02, 2006 10:29 pm

Really nice column in the Daily Campus (online) by Trent Redden. Two things jumped out at me:

He opens with a comment about watching the Draft over the weekend "between answering e-mails about his spelling in Friday's edition" of the Daily Campus.... and then spells Anquan Boldin's last name BOLDEN. Oops. :wink:

More importantly, though, he refers to Tulsa's Garrett Mills as "the best pass-catching tight end in the draft." Nice player, but please -- check out the tape of a Maryland game. Next to Mills, Vernon Davis is like Kellen Winslow (senior, not Keneivel).
Lefty
All-American

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:54 am

poor trent thinks he knows it all, oh well, it's obvious that he was the only tight end he's actually seen play, and yes, I think Mr. Vernon Davis might have a thing or two to say about that
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby Danny Noonan » Wed May 03, 2006 9:51 am

"Best pass catching TE in the draft" is a matter of opinion. Considering that Mills had more catches and yards (by a wide margin), I'd say Trent has a vaild opinion.

Davis - 51 catches for 871 yards
Mills - 87 catches for 1235 yards

Sounds like Trent did his research and you two are the ones that just looked at draft order.
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."
Danny Noonan
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Wed May 03, 2006 10:57 am

Perhaps, but Mills was Option A in the Tulsa offense, and Davis led the ACC in receptions while playing in a much more diverse offense. Everyone knew Davis would go earlier in the draft, because he's bigger and stronger and faster, but even as a pure pass-catcher, I'd go with Davis. I saw three (I think) Maryland games on TV, and I can't remember a receiver (TE or WR) who can go up and snatch a pass in multiple coverage like Davis can. He's a freak, and he's going to be a star.

With Daniel Graham and Ben Watson on the New England roster, and with David Thomas (Texas) also getting drafted, does Mills even make the team?
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Wed May 03, 2006 12:35 pm

PonyPride wrote:Perhaps, but Mills was Option A in the Tulsa offense, and Davis led the ACC in receptions while playing in a much more diverse offense. Everyone knew Davis would go earlier in the draft, because he's bigger and stronger and faster, but even as a pure pass-catcher, I'd go with Davis. I saw three (I think) Maryland games on TV, and I can't remember a receiver (TE or WR) who can go up and snatch a pass in multiple coverage like Davis can. He's a freak, and he's going to be a star.

With Daniel Graham and Ben Watson on the New England roster, and with David Thomas (Texas) also getting drafted, does Mills even make the team?

New England can never have enough tight ends. :lol:
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Return to Around the Hilltop