PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A NOTE FROM NEW SMU AD STEVE ORSINI

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PK » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:03 pm

June 6, 2006

Dear Mustang Fans,

I started my position as Director of Athletics last week and it is great to be a part of the Mustang family. I am honored to be working at SMU.

There are several reasons why I wanted to be here. SMU is a world-class institution in a vibrant city that combines outstanding academics with great athletic tradition. The commitment to excellence in athletics is evident from the leadership at SMU. A fine foundation has been put in place for the athletic department and it will be our job to build upon that foundation. My family and I are thrilled to call Dallas our home again.

My goal for the athletic program is simple: to be Top 25 nationally in everything we do. From athletic facilities and budgets to competitive programs and graduation rates, we want to be among the nation's best. We are already there in several areas. Many of our sport programs have had great success and rank among the country's elite, as do our graduation rates. Some of our programs aren't quite there yet but we are moving in that direction and will get there.

My top priority within the athletic department is student-athlete welfare. I wouldn't be where I am today without the experience I had as a football student-athlete at Notre Dame back in the `70s. Our student-athletes should look back on their years at SMU as some of the best times of their life. I'll ask our student-athletes to do three things: 1) graduate from SMU; 2) have success on the playing field; and 3) be a positive role model and represent the University with class.

I had a chance to go to Austin, San Antonio and Houston recently as a part of our Mustang Club Coaches Tour and I met some great people. There is certainly a buzz among Mustangs that great things in athletics are happening on the Hilltop. People are excited about Phil Bennett and the upcoming football season. They are excited about Matt Doherty's arrival as our men's basketball coach.

We need your help. Be a part of that excitement. If you haven't already done so, renew or purchase your season tickets and renew your Mustang Club membership. Help us in our grassroots efforts - recruit a friend to buy season tickets and introduce them to the Mustang Club, and attend as many SMU athletic events as possible.

I look forward to meeting you soon! Go Mustangs!

Steve Orsini

Director of Athletics
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:51 pm

I believe we have winners in both Steve and Matt. Welcome board, gentleman!

Both see an opportunity, while we have often focused on our recent past. Here is their assignment (would you choose to take it?):

- Revitalize FB and BB programs for a major, nationally recognized university in a huge metropolitan area located in sports crazy Texas.
- Build on a rich tradition athletic history in both revenue and non-revenue sports
- Rely on a strong academic environment, which consistently graduates its student athletics
- Enjoy one of the most beautiful, urban campus, which continues to improve and enhance its appearance.
- Be recognized nationally as a major Division 1A Athletic Director and Basketball coach, who quickly guided and built successful and sustainable college sport programs.
- Enjoy the advantages of recruiting based on the above.

Perhaps they have already seen the future and carpe diem? I think so!

8) 8)
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Around the Hilltop