PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Love Field/Wright Amendment

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Love Field/Wright Amendment

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:19 pm

Here is a link to the "proposal" being offered by Laura Miller:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... e2002.html

Disclaimer: I can't stand the woman. But this proposal is stupid, or as the SWA spokesman said, "Mind-boggling." This woman couldn't negotiate her way out of a paper bag.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:30 pm

Not only that, here is another article in the DMN with no mention of SMU. Will the carnage ever end?
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jtstang » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:45 pm

This thing never should have been givein to the cities in the first place. Clearly the feds will have to do something, as much as I cannot stand the thought of it. If the law is not abolished outright immediately, the ring of routes exempt from the law will need to include Denver and Las Vegas immediately, there will need to be through ticketing immediately, and there needs to be a maximum five year phase-out of the rest of the restrictions. That's the jtstang plan.
jtstang

Postby RE Tycoon » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:12 pm

Add San Diego
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:58 pm

I need LA for work. Not that I would fly Southwest to LA, but I need the American fair to come down.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RE Tycoon » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:16 pm

I feel the same way Blog. I've never flown Southwest and would like to keep it that way. I just like the pressure they would put on American to lower their fares. I also wouldn't mind flying American out of Love, but that's a pipe dream.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby McClown27 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:29 am

mrydel wrote:Not only that, here is another article in the DMN with no mention of SMU. Will the carnage ever end?

:lol:
Willis to slot receiver!
McClown27
Heisman

Postby PonySoprano » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:16 am

Love Field is a joke of an airport. The city should shut it down and use that land for park space and development. Move SWA out to DFW and they could go head-to-head with AA and fares would come down.

You can talk all you want about poor little Southwest Airlines and Big Bad American Airlines. However, all Southwest is trying to do with this Wright Amendment is preserve their monopoly at Love (and American is trying to do the same thing at DFW).

Hopefully they will get this issue resolved soon so that the DMN can get back to covering SMU on a daily basis, because we all know SMU deserves and warrants that type of coverage!!
PonySoprano
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:27 am

PonySoprano wrote:Love Field is a joke of an airport. The city should shut it down and use that land for park space and development. Move SWA out to DFW and they could go head-to-head with AA and fares would come down.

You can talk all you want about poor little Southwest Airlines and Big Bad American Airlines. However, all Southwest is trying to do with this Wright Amendment is preserve their monopoly at Love (and American is trying to do the same thing at DFW).

Hopefully they will get this issue resolved soon so that the DMN can get back to covering SMU on a daily basis, because we all know SMU deserves and warrants that type of coverage!!

For we that puddle jump into Dallas and around Texas (and direct to Las Vegas from Little Rock), we appreciate Love and Southwest. I can leave my home about 2 hours prior to game time and be in the stands at Ford for kickoff. I come earlier for the Boulevard, however. Could not do that with the hassel of DFW. I see the point of you high rolling travelers, but leave a scrap for we po' boys.
mrydel

Postby McClown27 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:44 am

mrydel wrote:
PonySoprano wrote:Love Field is a joke of an airport. The city should shut it down and use that land for park space and development. Move SWA out to DFW and they could go head-to-head with AA and fares would come down.

For we that puddle jump into Dallas and around Texas (and direct to Las Vegas from Little Rock), we appreciate Love and Southwest. I can leave my home about 2 hours prior to game time and be in the stands at Ford for kickoff. I come earlier for the Boulevard, however. Could not do that with the hassel of DFW. I see the point of you high rolling travelers, but leave a scrap for we po' boys.

I am with Mrydel. Southwest has saved me countless car trips to West Texas. In that sense, I support the monopoly I benefit from.
Willis to slot receiver!
McClown27
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:09 am

Phoenix is going to love having the Southwest Airlines hub in their city. Dallas - "The Can't Do City"
LA_Mustang

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:10 am

Man, you don't travel much, do you? Even flown in to Burbank? You still have to walk down the rolling staircase onto the tarmack to go in the terminal. And that is Burbank, ten minutes from Beverly Hills. You start including smaller towns, and the airports really go downhill. Ever fly out of Savanah?
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:11 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Phoenix is going to love having the Southwest Airlines hub in their city. Dallas - "The Can't Do City"

Noone ever said that before the current regime took over the mayor's office.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:18 am

Burbank is a bad example. Five airports serve the LA area: LAX, Burbank, Long Beach, John Wayne (Orange County) and Ontario. Of course they are going to be smaller and less impressive. Midway would be a better comparison.
LA_Mustang

Postby McClown27 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:27 am

SMU Football Blog wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:Phoenix is going to love having the Southwest Airlines hub in their city. Dallas - "The Can't Do City"

Noone ever said that before the current regime took over the mayor's office.

Anyone who had consistenly dealt with Baron & Budd before her political career had an inkling.
Willis to slot receiver!
McClown27
Heisman

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop