PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Places to eat, Things to do, etc.

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:37 pm

Bergermeister wrote:Drive up NW HWY to Preston Center and eat at Flying Fish. It's a fun place to eat on a Friday or Saturday night and it has a good selection of seafood. You can't go wrong here.
Yes, it's VERY kid friendly! They'll get a kick out of seeing the photos of people with their 'large fish' and the Wall of Honor of Talking Bass! The food is a mix of fried and Cajun style. Very casual dining atmosphere.

I have to agree with all of the suggestions posted above. Great places to eat. And if you're looking for a good breakfast on either Saturday or Sunday morning, you can't go wrong with The Original Pancake House at the intersection of Midway and & Northwest Highway (Loop 12). Long waits on those mornings so get there EARLY!

If you're headed east on Northwest Highway (Loop 12) to Preston Center (where Flying Fish is located and other good dining spots like California Pizza Kitchen, La Madeliene, Carraba's, Pei Wei & Corner Bakery) you might as well keep driving another couple of miles to Northpark Shopping Center. When originally built in 1964, it was the first air conditioned mall in the U.S. Plenty of good restaurants there, too.

Suggestion for lodging the next time you're in Dallas: stay at the Radisson Hotel on Central Expressway at Mockingbird Lane in the shadow of S.M.U.!!!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby couch 'em » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:57 am

MrMustang1965 wrote:. And if you're looking for a good breakfast on either Saturday or Sunday morning, you can't go wrong with The Original Pancake House at the intersection of Midway and & Northwest Highway (Loop 12). Long waits on those mornings so get there EARLY!

This cannot be stressed enough!!!! Real orange juice, bacon thick as plywood, and the fabulous DUTCH BABY!
couch 'em

Postby mrydel » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:53 am

couch 'em wrote:
MrMustang1965 wrote:. And if you're looking for a good breakfast on either Saturday or Sunday morning, you can't go wrong with The Original Pancake House at the intersection of Midway and & Northwest Highway (Loop 12). Long waits on those mornings so get there EARLY!

This cannot be stressed enough!!!! Real orange juice, bacon thick as plywood, and the fabulous DUTCH BABY!

MMMMMMMM!!!! Early morning cannibalism. Can't beat it!!
mrydel

Postby Paladin » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:15 pm

Hard to believe no-one yet has mentioned Campisis's "Egyptian" Restaurant...
Paladin
All-American

Postby PK » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:57 pm

Paladin wrote:Hard to believe no-one yet has mentioned Campisis's "Egyptian" Restaurant...
The Egyptian is great, but they were asking for some place close to where they were staying and the Egyptian is on Mockingbird three blocks east of the SMU campus. If they are willing to venture farther east from their hotel...Campisi's is a great choice.
PK

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:46 pm

couch 'em wrote:

I agree.
RGV Pony

Postby BUTitan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:04 pm

What's that Burger joint by the bookstore. It was really good. I got to watch Michigan beat Northern Illinois, then top it off with Baylor beating SMU.
BUTitan
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:48 pm

BUTitan wrote:What's that Burger joint by the bookstore. It was really good. I got to watch Michigan beat Northern Illinois, then top it off with Baylor beating SMU.
Goff's...formerly located on Lovers Lane.
MrMustang1965

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:26 am

I'd like to thank everyone for the suggestions!

I just got back in town. I had a great time.

SoCal - tried to go to Sonny Bryan's - too busy. The line was out the door. Must be really good!

We went to the Preston Center on Saturday. Most of the places were hour waits or longer, and we were hungry. We ended up at Snuffer's. Their cheese fries are for real! And their hamburger wasn't bad either. They had a good atmosphere, with the World Cup game on, and plenty of people watching the game over in the bar so it was loud and fun.

Someone recommended Goff's to us in Dallas. We ran out of time to try it. Hopefully next time!

The hotel was in a weird place - between Lemmon and Midway, or, between the more monied area and an immigrant-village-type place. You could almost ignore the bad area if you just went east all the time, which is what we did. In case anyone else is considering the hotel, I would not recommend it, because it is in a weird place as well as the lack of amenities (you shouldn't pay those types of rates for a room with two 20 year old TVs that are all messed up as far as picture). They do have a decent breakfast (pancakes and omelets for free, along with more continental-breakfast-style items) but in the end, it wasn't worth it.

You should be proud of your school! The students that I met were all very polite and intelligent. The professors seem to genuinely care about their students. The admissions office put on a great presentation.

I got to go into Ford for the first time today. It's even better than I thought it would be. Absolutely beautiful. And the guy who was practicing punts wasn't half bad either. I don't know his name - some bald headed guy. Anyway, the admissions office took all the prospective students into Ford, sat them down in the air-conditioned area, and played a short video on the Jumbotron to close the program. Great job by admissions. I'm sure that will pull a lot more top students into applying for SMU - if the academic info doesn't get you interested, the stadium will!

One more thing - all of the students I talked to agreed on one thing. BOWL GAME NEXT YEAR!
CalallenStang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:33 am

Calallen: next time you're in Dallas, make hotel reservations at The Radisson Hotel on Central Expressway, just north of Mockingbird Lane. Or the Doubletree on Central Expressway at Caruth Haven Lane.

Glad you had a great time in Dallas and while visiting SMU!

Once you visit The Hilltop, you'll return again and again and again and again, etc.

GO MUSTANGS!!!!!!
MrMustang1965

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:09 am

I'll check out the Radisson and Doubletree next time. My experience at the Embassy Suites may have been ruined because it was under renovation, but I didn't see any signs of that other than the occasional posting to "Pardon our dust" and the almost deserted nature of the hotel.

Again, I had a wonderful time. I'll be back - I can feel it!
CalallenStang

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:57 pm

Give "us" a heads-up ahead of time before your next visit. Snuffer's at Preston Center is lower tier compared to some truly outstanding burger establishments in the city. Luckily, you didn't get in to Sonny Bryan's. It's limping along on it's former glory. Sonny and Red are dead and their Bar-B-Que legacy is in the hands of Bryan family member David. The Bryan family has no connection to Sonny Bryan's, hence, the food is practically as bad as the service. Don't see how they stay in business. If you wanna eat in the SMU area try Bubba's, Kuby's, Cisco Grill, Campisi's Egyptian, Kirby's, Gloria's on Greenville. Goff's is fixin' to lock the door. And understandably so.
Bergermeister

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop