PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Pledge Forced to Drink Gallons of H20 Gets Day in Court

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Pledge Forced to Drink Gallons of H20 Gets Day in Court

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:25 pm

DALLAS -- The case of a Southern Methodist University fraternity pledge forced to drink gallons of water is scheduled to go to trial Tuesday.

Raymond Lee III faces felony aggravated assault charges.

Lee is accused of forching Braylan Curry to drink several gallons of water at an Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity party in 2003.

Curry nearly died as a result of drinking so much water, officials said.

A grand jury indicted a total of eight students in connection with the incident and SMU expelled the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity.

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/9396864/detail.html
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby couch 'em » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:31 pm

Unless they held him down and poured it down his throat, the drinker is the only one responsible.

Can I sue SMU because I was "forced" to attend band practice instead of studying, and thus got lower grades than I might otherwise, and thus got a lesser job than I might otherwise?
couch 'em

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:56 pm

couch 'em wrote:Can I sue SMU because I was "forced" to attend band practice instead of studying, and thus got lower grades than I might otherwise, and thus got a lesser job than I might otherwise?
People sue for just about anything nowadays. If the guy who owns the condos at University Gardens can sue it looks like just about anyone can.
MrMustang1965

Postby Kappas Are Yummy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:11 pm

Sorry guys, no matter what you all think, hazing is illegal. Period.

I was given a pamphlet detailing the law along with every other pledge when I rushed.

This is a real black eye for the univerisity and Greek system.
Just my two cents.
Kappas Are Yummy
Junior Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:50 pm

Yes, it is illegal, but that doesn't make it right. These kind of laws that make people not responsible for their own actions is a major contributer to the pussification of America, the epidemic of idiotic lawsuits, and the continued rise of communism.
couch 'em

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:52 pm

Kappas Are Yummy wrote:Sorry guys, no matter what you all think, hazing is illegal. Period.

I was given a pamphlet detailing the law along with every other pledge when I rushed.

This is a real black eye for the univerisity and Greek system.

I agree this is terrible, but being in Austin and near UT that unfortunately is tame.
smupony94

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:33 am

couch 'em wrote:Yes, it is illegal, but that doesn't make it right. These kind of laws that make people not responsible for their own actions is a major contributer to the pussification of America, the epidemic of idiotic lawsuits, and the continued rise of communism.
Communism is dead. Haven't you heard? (uh, oh...a political post...I've probably gotten this thread deleted!)
MrMustang1965

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:13 am

This isn't a lawsuit, its a criminal trial against someone who allegedly "forced" this young man to drink gallons of water virtually killing him. The accused is innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If it is shown that he in some way coerced the young man through intimidation or violence, then he would be guilty. If he instead told the young man if you don't drink the water, you won't get into APA, then you have some issue of choice. "Stupid is as Stupid does". The issue will be whether he voluntarily drank the water or was "forced" to drink the water.
EastStang

Postby jtstang » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:35 am

EastStang wrote:This isn't a lawsuit, its a criminal trial against someone who allegedly "forced" this young man to drink gallons of water virtually killing him.

Thank you. The posts above about "lawsuits" were embarassing.
jtstang

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:24 am

This isn't a black eye on the greek system, it is a black eye on political correctness. Fact is IFC has no control over the predominantly black fraternities and never has. Instead, they are under pan-helenic, where they are basically allowed to police themselves. This didn't work fifteen years ago and it clearly is not working now. Yet nobody tries to do anything about it for fear of appearing "insensitive." Now, some kid almost died. Way to go.

Sorry for my "political" rant.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangIcon » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:30 am

Exactly, I don't even consider these guys part of SMU's Greek system to be honest.

Blog, 20 days and counting. What gives?
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:34 am

MustangIcon wrote:Blog, 20 days and counting. What gives?

Mavericks. Work. Kids. Sleepy.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangIcon » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:51 am

SMU Football Blog wrote:
MustangIcon wrote:Blog, 20 days and counting. What gives?

Mavericks. Work. Kids. Sleepy.

All good reasons. I will continue to look forward to the next update.

Maybe you could do a special Mavs Championship Parade edition. Oops. Sorry Mavs fans. :lol:
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby KnuckleStang » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:09 pm

I seem to remember that I, too, was "forced" to drink gallons of water when I was a pledge. Fortunately for me, I vomited. It was quite unpleasant. But to this day I would never dream of blaming the guy who "forced" me to do it. It was my own dumb @ss. Nobody put a gun to my head. Jeez.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:16 pm

if in fact Pledges were forced to drink gallons and gallons of water against their will, then isn't this an indictment of our American educational institutions. And if our American educational institutions are to blame for these actions, isn't that an indictment of our entire American society? Gentlemen I'm not going to sit here and listen to you cut down the United States of America. Fraternity members exit Courtroom and rest their case.
Stallion

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop