PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lower Greenville Fire

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:33 pm

Can't believe no one has yet mentioned The Athen's Strip... :shock:
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:25 pm

jtstang it burned down sometime around 1982 or so too. Before that Stan's was even smaller with no air conditioning and in a slightly different location on the same block. There were no bras on the walls and just about Spartan accomodations. Hell it gets better ever time it burns down.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:35 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Although that area has been marred by shootings over past few months, it is one of the few parts of Dallas with character. Unfortunately, like John’s Café (soon to be a new bank).

I'm not convinced that a bank will be there. I've noticed that there's a sign on the property indicating that it's up for sale and the key word on the sign is Residential. Seeing as how new homes are popping up on that block on both sides, it wouldn't surprise me. I guess the people that owned that land thought they could get more for it than what John was giving them for rent. He was slated to have moved into the first floor over at the cityville building next to the Taco Cabana but there was such a brouhaha about him occupying that building by the local resident association that he said it wasn't worth the trouble and moved out to Lake Highlands. It's a shame because he's such a nice man and really ran a great restaurant, not to mention he was a neighborhood icon.
BTW, has anyone else been out to the new location out in Lake Highlands? Nice place but just too inconvenient to get to for me. I'd been going to the old location since I was just a kid and it really bummed me out when they had to move.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop