PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lower Greenville Fire

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Lower Greenville Fire

Postby jtstang » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:03 pm

It was tragic, watching that whole historic block go up like that. Thank you, though, my house is several blocks away.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:11 pm

thanks jtstang, but sort of like the "gameday threads", how 'bout a little meat to your story?
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby jtstang » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:16 pm

My regrets to the Memphis contingent. I sometimes lose sight of the fact that folks are not always privy to the local story. Without apologies to mr. pony and McClown, I give you the DMN version of the story, sans any analysis of the effect this might have on SMU recruiting:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 8ae58.html
jtstang

Postby couch 'em » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:03 pm

Do they normally rebuild historic landmarks like this? Or should we expect some soulless modern replacement?
couch 'em

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:09 pm

couch 'em wrote:Do they normally rebuild historic landmarks like this? Or should we expect some soulless modern replacement?
No and yes.

A friend of our family, Betty Groendyke, was the owner of the Arcadia in the early to mid-1960s. I spent many Saturdays at the theatre watching matinees and Warner Bros. cartoons. Another great memory up in smoke.

I'm thankful no one was hurt and grateful to the members of the Dallas Fire Department and the Dallas Police Department, as well as the Salvation Army, for their efforts during this multi-alarm fire.
MrMustang1965

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:14 pm

...what a drag. Is Snuffers next door? Let's hope some creative re-devolpment kicks in....
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby PK » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:49 pm

HixsontoLeVias wrote:...what a drag. Is Snuffers next door? Let's hope some creative re-devolpment kicks in....
No, Snuffer's is next door to the Granada theater. The Arcadia was farther south...about two block south of Belmont Ave.
PK

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:51 am

Although that area has been marred by shootings over past few months, it is one of the few parts of Dallas with character. Unfortunately, like John’s Café (soon to be a new bank) a little to the north, this block will likely become a generic strip mall. Dallas has already lost Deep Ellum, I fear Lower Greenville is next.
LA_Mustang

Postby jtstang » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:56 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Although that area has been marred by shootings over past few months, it is one of the few parts of Dallas with character. Unfortunately, like John’s Café (soon to be a new bank) a little to the north, this block will likely become a generic strip mall. Dallas has already lost Deep Ellum, I fear Lower Greenville is next.

Losing John's was a shame, that whole building's been razed now. But Cafe Brazil opened next door to Stan's, so that's good news for my neighborhood.

As for the area where the Arcadia was, I would not be surprised to see a developer come in and try to by a couple blocks back and do a kind of West Village deal down there.

Of course the real blow to the character of the neighborhood has been the loss of some great old houses and the inundation of McMansions. It's just a damn shame.
jtstang

Postby Stallion » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:35 am

speaking of fires and Stan's that place hasn't burned down in years-what's up with that. I've already lived through 2 fires at Stan's. When I heard about a fire on Greenville it was like deja vue all over again. I used to be a contender at that place.
Stallion

Postby jtstang » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:48 am

Stallion wrote:speaking of fires and Stan's that place hasn't burned down in years-what's up with that. I've already lived through 2 fires at Stan's. When I heard about a fire on Greenville it was like deja vue all over again. I used to be a contender at that place.

I remember the one in the late 80s that burned on the old side of Stans before they expanded. When was the other one?
jtstang

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:07 pm

The ORIGINAL Stan's, home of Dorothy and R.B., was the hang out place for the ATO's and Phi Delts when I was at SMU in the late 70's / early 80's....pickled eggs, "jars" of Bud / Coors, great jukebox, small pool table, and of course, the highlight, playing shuffle board with the great Jimmy Johnson....the good old days.....long live R.B.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby jtstang » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:17 pm

HixsontoLeVias wrote:The ORIGINAL Stan's, home of Dorothy and R.B., was the hang out place for the ATO's and Phi Delts when I was at SMU in the late 70's / early 80's....pickled eggs, "jars" of Bud / Coors, great jukebox, small pool table, and of course, the highlight, playing shuffle board with the great Jimmy Johnson....the good old days.....long live R.B.

I think that's the same Stan's we were talking about. The original was about 1/4 the size of the expanded version, but in the same location on Greenville between Vanderbilt and Goodwin.
jtstang

Postby EastStang » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:48 pm

In my days, lower Greenville is where hookers and cowboys came to play and a few SMU students who went to get a late bite to eat and couldn't face Jack in the Box.
EastStang

Postby jtstang » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:50 pm

EastStang wrote:In my days, lower Greenville is where hookers and cowboys came to play and a few SMU students who went to get a late bite to eat and couldn't face Jack in the Box.

Which one were you, hooker or cowboy?
jtstang

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop