PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I'm sorry

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I'm sorry

Postby mrydel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:19 am

I apologize for participating in a political discussion and promise to never do so again. After I made a post last night I retired for the evening, thus I am not certain if I have made any enemies. If I have I am truly sorry and hope that amends can be made. I guess I will just have to wait and see if Jt shows up in my seat.
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: I'm sorry

Postby jtstang » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:58 am

mrydel wrote:I apologize for participating in a political discussion and promise to never do so again. After I made a post last night I retired for the evening, thus I am not certain if I have made any enemies. If I have I am truly sorry and hope that amends can be made. I guess I will just have to wait and see if Jt shows up in my seat.

I didn't get to see your post, mrydel. Was it in response to mine that said you were better than to have to defend your president by comparing him to the last guy? What did it say? This is not a political discussion, just a discussion about the contents of a post.
jtstang

Postby PK » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:13 am

Just throw in something about the Bush Library in every post then you can justify it as being SMU related. :D
PK

Postby mrydel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:32 am

I was disagreeing with you but in a kind fashion. I really think I will not discuss it anymore because I do enjoy this forum and am tired of being deleted. I respect their decision to delete. I do want to emphasize, however, that even though I disagreed with you, it was in a respectable manner and I did welcome you to continue to steal my seats.

ps: Bush library
mrydel

Postby Kappas Are Yummy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:41 am

I may have had something to do with it as well fellas. I forgot to watch my tounge and slipped in a pretty good Bush burn. I'll try and be more careful in the future.
Just my two cents.
Kappas Are Yummy
Junior Varsity

Postby jtstang » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:50 am

I can appreciate that, but now you've piqued my curiosity about your last post. I'm wondering what in your deleted post (about the president whose library might come to SMU, thus making this "Around the Hilltop" fodder) was disagreeable. I'm working from memory here, but the only things I can recall saying about your post was (1) SoCal never asked our thoughts about Slick Willie; and (2) defending Dubya by saying he's better than the adulterer before him was not much of a defense. I may have said something about Iraq, but I think we both agree, whatever the motivations for the beginning, it's now turned into something it wasn't supposed to. You'll still be the voice of reason on all things SMU sports in my book, no matter what, but just give me the reader's digest version of your disagreeable post, and I'll let it go.

That is until the GWB Presidential Library opens on the campus of SMU and I can go and research these issues for myself.
jtstang

Postby mrydel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:40 am

The gist was that you called me out for mentioning Slick Willie and then compared the Vietnam era Presidents. I then stated how the Vietnam era Presidents were for the most part not derided for the war, after they left office. Obviously they were chided during the time. But Eisenhower is respected, Kennedy is loved, Johnson had all kinds of issues, and Nixon was run out for Watergate, not Vietnam which he did successfully even if not honorably end. My whole issue was that history can not yet judge W. You may hate him or love him but time will be the true barometer of his Presidency. It is my understanding that my post did not end the thread, but I really think we should perhaps limit ourselves to matters more relevant to SMU so we do not put the Web Masters into a tizzy, such as how long should I save my extra seat for you or is it first come first served.

ps Bush library
mrydel

Postby jtstang » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:50 am

Okay, it ws the Vietnam comparison, I should have remembered. I was thinking primarily about Johnson and Nixon, but you are absolutely right that both had other issues that influence their historical view. But I really think Johnson's war legacy is looked upon less favorably than perhaps you do, and we can disagree about that, since it's a matter of personal perspective. I really should defer to you because you were old enough to be aware during those years, whereas I was five or less.

I will also defer to you on seat allotment. I expect there will be plenty to go around in any event.
jtstang

Postby mrydel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:17 am

Last political statement, I promise (that kind of sounds political in itself). Johnson no doubt totally botched the Vietnam situation and that is a major part of his legacy. He just botched so many things that it is hard to single out one.

ps Bush library
mrydel

Postby OC Mustang » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:28 am

Regardless of one's political persuasion and/or peccadillos, the library would be a boon to SMU's political science department, history department, and probably a number of other areas. SMU already has in the Tower Center arguably the most robust undergraduate political science degree available in the state, and it holds its own with two presidential libraries and public policy schools by itself. IMHO, regardless of the foibles or cleverness of the present administration, SMU can put a "1" in the "W" column (pun intended) on this one.

<<edited>>
You gotta have a little more than "Bush Library" to make this Around the Hilltop-acceptable.
"Moderation in all things, and especially in Absoluts [vodka]." The Benediction, Doc Breeden, circa 1992
OC Mustang
Heisman

Postby jtstang » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:41 am

OC Mustang wrote:IMHO, regardless of the foibles or cleverness of the present administration, SMU can put a "1" in the "W" column (pun intended) on this one.

<<edited>>
You gotta have a little more than "Bush Library" to make this Around the Hilltop-acceptable.

That assumes SMU gets the library, which is not a given.

ps Bush library

pps go mustangs
jtstang

Postby FordtoTolbert » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:05 pm

...besides 'Nam, which was pretty durn big, LBJ was a durn good president...go to his library sometime, impressive list of accomplishments, etc., etc...it changed my opinion of him...it was sort of a "I didn't know that..." tour...
FordtoTolbert
All-American

Postby mrydel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:08 pm

FordtoTolbert wrote:...besides 'Nam, which was pretty durn big, LBJ was a durn good president...go to his library sometime, impressive list of accomplishments, etc., etc...it changed my opinion of him...it was sort of a "I didn't know that..." tour...

Ha ha ha that's a good one
mrydel

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:24 pm

So you went to LBJ's library at UT. You think that UT was happy that someone visited their campus? You bet they were. As I said earlier, getting the Bush Library would mean thousands of tourists walking through the grounds of dear old SMU. And some of those tourists might be potential recruits for our sports teams. Can't hurt to have them visit. My other alma mater was William and Mary which is in the heart of Colonial Williamsburg. We had tourists walking into classes and asking is this a class? Or the classic, Are you a student? Can we take your picture? Or can you take our picture? If we get the Library that's what future Mustangs can look forward to.
EastStang

Postby White Helmet » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:28 pm

All I got was tpunge slip and bush burn, is this going the way of the babe of the day thread?
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop