PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A good Pony as the next mayor of Dallas??

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A good Pony as the next mayor of Dallas??

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:13 pm

In Anchía, many see the next Ron Kirk

They say state rep has clout to be first Hispanic mayor

11:59 PM CDT on Friday, July 28, 2006

By GROMER JEFFERS JR. / The Dallas Morning News

In 1995, a collection of influential civic and business leaders rallied behind a relatively unknown politician who would go on to make history as Dallas' first black mayor.

Those same forces are now aligning behind a potential new candidate who also has a chance to make history – this time as the city's first Hispanic mayor.

State Rep. Rafael Anchía's star is rising, and his boosters include former Dallas Mayor Ron Kirk, who says an Anchía campaign would parallel his own historic race.

"It is eerily familiar to me, the demographics and the circumstances of when Mayor [Steve] Bartlett announced that he wasn't running and when I got in the race, as it is now," he said. "The similarities are uncanny."

Just three weeks after Mayor Laura Miller announced she would not seek re-election, many of the city's business elite and political brokers, led by Mr. Kirk, are pushing Mr. Anchía to run.

"I'm shamelessly committed to him and have been encouraging him to run for some time," Mr. Kirk said. "He has the right temperament, and he represents the future of Dallas."

Mr. Anchía, 37, who said he would strongly consider a run for mayor, is not letting the attention swell his head. He said the impact of such a campaign on his family was his primary concern.

"I've received some very generous and flattering calls," Mr. Anchía said. "But I've got to tell you they take a back seat to my family. But clearly there's going to be a diligence period when I look at the opportunity and gauge the level of support out there."

Building bridges
For most of his political career, Mr. Anchía has been the fresh face in the room.

In 2001, the Dallas lawyer ran for the school board seat vacated by Jose Plata, even though most Hispanic leaders tossed their support to better-known candidates.

He prevailed and was re-elected to a two-year term the following year.

Mr. Anchía's ability to be an advocate for Spanish-speaking residents while effectively working with whites and blacks gave him a reputation as a bridge-builder.

Almost overnight, with Hispanic voters growing in numbers and influence, Mr. Anchía was anointed the future of Texas politics.

In 2004, Mr. Anchía, a Democrat, was elected to the state House in District 103, replacing longtime state Rep. Steve Wolens, who is married to Ms. Miller.

Supporters describe Mr. Anchía as an effective leader. In his first term, he crafted legislation that helped Dallas close down numerous sex shops that fronted as massage parlors. With additional political experience under his belt, he seems poised for another breakthrough.

Mr. Kirk was a largely unknown former Texas secretary of state before he became mayor. He won his campaign against Dallas lawyer Darrell Jordan and former state Rep. Domingo Garcia, D-Dallas, by putting together a coalition of business leaders, blacks, women and North Dallas progressives.

Mr. Anchía would have many of those same backers – but he also faces different challenges.

He could be crippled by his strong call for a national immigration policy that would give illegal immigrants a path to citizenship. Such a stance might not play well with conservative voters in North Dallas and black voters in the South.

And while Mr. Anchía would be attractive to Hispanic voters, they represent the smallest voting bloc in Dallas. (Hispanics make up roughly 10 percent of the city's registered voters, and their normal turnout for city elections usually tops out at 5,000.)

Like every other potential contender, Mr. Anchía would have to find votes outside of his natural base.

"There is a strong push by a lot of people who are trying to advance his name," said lawyer Michael Boone, former chairman of the Dallas Citizens Council. "The question is, how does he sell in North Dallas? How does he sell in South Dallas? Is he ready for prime time?"

State Rep. Roberto Alonzo, D-Dallas, said Mr. Anchía can win using "the Ron Kirk example."

"He can't win it with the Hispanic vote alone," he said. "He has to build coalitions, and he's done that in the past."

A racial divide
Unlike Mr. Kirk, it would be harder for Mr. Anchía to attract black voters, particularly since there has never been a strong alliance between African-Americans and Hispanics in Dallas.

Mr. Kirk was the only black candidate in the 1995 race and benefited from a solid, unified turnout.

For the May 2007 contest, several black contenders are exploring candidacies, including Mayor Pro Tem Don Hill, businessman Albert Black and former Dallas Cowboys player Pettis Norman.

"He [Mr. Anchía] would do horrible in the African-American community because of the immigration issue," said political analyst Rufus Shaw Jr. "If he says he's for amnesty, he's going to lose half the African-American community. When he compares it to the civil rights issue, he'll lose the rest of it."

But Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price said Mr. Anchía could win and get support from black voters. He has consulted Mr. Anchía on his possible mayoral bid.

"He's the new face of Dallas. He's not only a good-looking face, but he's got brains and he builds coalitions," Mr. Price said. "And just like Ron Kirk, he's the American dream. Kirk got Hispanic votes, and Anchía can get black votes."

Wanted: a unifying force
Contenders for mayor agree that the city could use a healer, particularly after the bruising and divisive years of Ms. Miller's administration.

Mr. Anchía has said he has the credentials to bring the city together.

"The racial divide in Dallas was more pronounced and strident at the time Ron ran," businessman David Biegler said. "The real parallel is that Rafael, like Ron, will be seen as a breath of fresh and new leadership. This city wants leadership, and the race is going to go to the candidate that the community feels is ready to provide leadership."

Lawyer Adelfa Callejo says Mr. Anchía is the rare local politician with the ability to expand his ethnic boundaries.

"There are very few people with the crossover appeal needed to bring the city together and help heal some of the wounds," she said. "He would have the support needed to eliminate some of the racial tension, especially since he served on the school board."

Before he makes his next move, Mr. Anchía is expected to consult with former San Antonio mayor and Clinton Cabinet appointee Henry Cisneros. Mr. Cisneros was San Antonio's first Hispanic mayor.

Mr. Anchía could face some stiff competition from the likes of Mr. Jordan or council member Gary Griffith, both of whom have strong support from business leaders.

But Mr. Kirk, now a member of the Citizens Council, says that if Mr. Anchía gets in the race, "he immediately goes to the head of the pack."

"I still think it's a wide open race. But if he chooses to run, he becomes a front-runner," he said.

RAFAEL ANCHÍA

Born: Sept. 26, 1968, in Miami

Education: bachelor's degree, Southern Methodist University, 1990; law degree, Tulane School of Law, 1993

Political career: elected to the DISD school board in 2001 and 2002; elected to the Texas House, District 103, in 2004

Family: married to Marissa Ramirez; two children

Other facts: In May 2005, he survived a car crash that killed Rep. Joe Moreno as they drove from Houston to Austin after a Mavericks playoff game. He says he has run with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain.

SOURCE: Dallas Morning News research
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: A good Pony as the next mayor of Dallas??

Postby jtstang » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:37 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:He says he has run with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain.

That experience will come in handy when it comes to dealing with the city council.
jtstang

Postby Peruna2001 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:14 pm

I wonder if he'll encourage the renovation of the Cotton Bowl.
Peruna2001
All-American

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:08 pm

I met Rafael years ago when he was at Patton Boggs through some Bar leadership thing. Great guy. Smart. Dedicated. Really driven. He could win. Like him a lot.

Not sure I will vote for him.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:29 pm

Peruna2001 wrote:I wonder if he'll encourage the renovation of the Cotton Bowl.
Yeah, for bull fighting.
Bergermeister

Postby Peruna2001 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:50 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
Peruna2001 wrote:I wonder if he'll encourage the renovation of the Cotton Bowl.
Yeah, for bull fighting.

There have been a good number of longhorn slaughterings there.
Peruna2001
All-American

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:54 pm

I can easily see Dallas becoming the most liberal city in Texas (behind Austin) in the coming years much like Los Angeles is today with all its illegal immigration, racial, crime & education problems.

Too bad. It was once a great city.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PonySoprano » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:20 pm

This thread is as good as deleted now.
PonySoprano
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:59 pm

i knew Anchia at SMU. Good dude. He was a baby kisser even then, but I think he is smart as hell and a good man. I'm not sure I would vote for him either based on his political positions, but even so I think he would be a hell of an improvement over Miller.
Hoop Fan

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:19 pm

Obviously, we need a Dallas person to be mayor of Dallas. She's nothing but a carpetbagger and we're paying the price.
Bergermeister

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:20 pm

Good point. Frankly, that's about all you'll get, too - an improvement over Miller.

I can't see a good future for Dallas over the long haul as the suburbs go further & further north.

Geee!!! Just this last election Dallas county barely elected George Bush while Harris county elected him by a big margin.

In many ways, Dallas is becoming a small LA so DON'T FOLLOW OUR MODEL - WE'VE BEEN BROKEN FOR A LONG TIME & IT AIN'T GETTING ANY BETTER!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Around the Hilltop