PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If you hadn't heard...

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

If you hadn't heard...

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:53 pm

•Rick Halperin, a history instructor at Southern Methodist University, was elected to his third term as chairman of Amnesty International USA, the U.S. section of Amnesty International. He previously served as chair in 2005-06 and served his first term in 1992-93. Mr. Halperin is a human rights educator and longtime activist who has lobbied with abolitionist organizations against the death penalty in Texas and other parts of the world.

•Ellen Pryor, Southern Methodist University's associate provost for honors and international programs and the Homer R. Mitchell professor of law, has received the Robert B. McKay Law Professor Award from the American Bar Association's Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section. This annual award recognizes commitment to the advancement of justice, scholarship and the legal profession through outstanding contributions to the fields of tort and insurance law.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: If you hadn't heard...

Postby couch 'em » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:35 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:•Rick Halperin, a history instructor at Southern Methodist University, was elected to his third term as chairman of Amnesty International USA, the U.S. section of Amnesty International. He previously served as chair in 2005-06 and served his first term in 1992-93. Mr. Halperin is a human rights educator and longtime activist who has lobbied with abolitionist organizations against the death penalty in Texas and other parts of the world.

He must be responsible for the annoying "girl in a cage" protest they had every year by the flag pole for Amnesty International. Sitting in a cage for a day is not that impressive when someone brings you food and you get to leave to go to the bathroom.
couch 'em

Postby that's great raplh » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:00 pm

couch 'em wrote:
MrMustang1965 wrote:•Rick Halperin, a history instructor at Southern Methodist University, was elected to his third term as chairman of Amnesty International USA, the U.S. section of Amnesty International. He previously served as chair in 2005-06 and served his first term in 1992-93. Mr. Halperin is a human rights educator and longtime activist who has lobbied with abolitionist organizations against the death penalty in Texas and other parts of the world.

He must be responsible for the annoying "girl in a cage" protest they had every year by the flag pole for Amnesty International. Sitting in a cage for a day is not that impressive when someone brings you food and you get to leave to go to the bathroom.

it is for a pi phi

muffie benson perella

169 black horseshoes - Green Party Activist - I am the Greetest!

Now selling Hope at a price slightly higher than free...
that's great raplh

Postby Kappas Are Yummy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:01 pm

couch 'em wrote:

You graduated from Cox? :wink:
Just my two cents.
Kappas Are Yummy
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUguy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:36 pm

Easy there, couch -- Halperin is a great teacher and an even better guy. If this is what floats his boat, congratulate him. Regardless of what you think of his politics, he's a significant asset to the university.

While we're at it, congratulations to Ellen Pryor, too.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:01 pm

Without Rick I would not have a diploma. Very cool guy and knew how to motivate me
smupony94

Postby Phi Delt » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:12 am

that's great raplh wrote:
couch 'em wrote:

it is for a pi phi

Ha...I seriously doubt there's ever been a Pi Phi in there...maybe a few Meadows students....
Phi Delt
Recruit

Postby smu diamond m » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:53 am

Phi Delt wrote:
that's great raplh wrote:
couch 'em wrote:

it is for a pi phi

Ha...I seriously doubt there's ever been a Pi Phi in there...maybe a few Meadows students....

Could we stop using sarcasm? It confuses people.
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LawSchoolPony » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:16 pm

Ellen Pryor is a phenomenal law professor...congrats to her!
LawSchoolPony
Junior Varsity

Postby OR-See-Nee » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:43 pm

Prof. Pryor is absolutely the best. The ultimate combination of a great teacher and a great academic. She deserves every award that she receives. Students are a priority for her--something that cannot be said about several members of the law faculty. SMU is very fortunate to have her.
OR-See-Nee
Heisman

Postby dcpony » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:53 pm

Rick Halperin was one of my favorite professors too. The guy's Humans Rights class is always highly rated by students. And all my friends who had him as an adviser loved the guy.

SMU is very lucky this guy is still teaching at the university. The administration was foolishly going to fire him because he couldn't read the print from the new peoplesoft system on his computer screen. SMU implemented peoplesoft for class registration and financial aid. Btw, that would have been a violation of the ADA. The reason he has trouble with his vision is because he was hit in the eye with a tear gas cannister while protesting the Vietnam war as an undergrad at GW.

He's one of the good guys. His class really changed my life.
dcpony
All-American

Postby jtstang » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:50 pm

LawSchoolPony wrote:Ellen Pryor is a phenomenal law professor...congrats to her!

She was my fave in law school along with a contracts prof named Tim Davis, who has gone elsewhere now I think.
jtstang

Postby Eddie P » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:13 pm

Was it not because he couldnt read the print, but because he couldnt differentiate the different colors used by Peoplesoft? Just curious.

I also took Halperins class on human rights. Learned a lot of things I did not know beforehand, although that is a daily occurence in my life.

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:17 pm

jtstang wrote:
LawSchoolPony wrote:Ellen Pryor is a phenomenal law professor...congrats to her!

She was my fave in law school along with a contracts prof named Tim Davis, who has gone elsewhere now I think.

Prof Davis is now at Wake Forest, btw.
jtstang

Postby dcpony » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:50 pm

Eddie P wrote:Was it not because he couldnt read the print, but because he couldnt differentiate the different colors used by Peoplesoft? Just curious.

I also took Halperins class on human rights. Learned a lot of things I did not know beforehand, although that is a daily occurence in my life.

You might be right. I think it was the different colors used by Peoplesoft.
dcpony
All-American

Return to Around the Hilltop