PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

And you think we're bad

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

And you think we're bad

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:27 am

Apparently UVA's admissions office refused to accept 8 of 24 football players who signed letters of intent last February. That's 33.3% - a pretty bad ratio. Coach Al Groh said it was not unexpected and part of the "plan". Some of these players will go to Military school (non-qualifiers) and some will go to other schools (partial qualifiers). Perhaps we should look into signing players who will never be accepted to create some buzz about recruiting and then not admit them. Ooops that would violate our recruiting policy.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:50 am

I still can't figure out why the 6-5 (regular season, including wins over Temple and Duke) Virginia's staff was so coveted that their OC and DC both got IA coaching jobs.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:19 am

Firstly, I'm a UVA fan. Secondly, their admissions restrictions are bad for athletes. However, they can still find ways to have players not graduate. We had a 100% graduation rate last year.

And Al Groh better turn that program around or he will be run out of Charlottesville, alum or not. Bring back George Welch!
CalallenStang

Postby McClown27 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:26 am

After Groh lost Golden (Temple) & Prince (KSU) this offseason, I think this will be his last year. Those two raided Jersey for all of UVA's talent. They seem to be on the decline.
Willis to slot receiver!
McClown27
Heisman

Postby McClown27 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:28 am

SMU Football Blog wrote:I still can't figure out why the 6-5 (regular season, including wins over Temple and Duke) Virginia's staff was so coveted that their OC and DC both got IA coaching jobs.

Golden--Temple
Signed
D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Long Island)
Ahmad Brooks (Jersey, I can't remember for sure)
Wali Lundy

Prince signed that QB who graduated. These were all huge surprises. In years past, Penn State would have gotten all of these players. That was the major shock out here.
Willis to slot receiver!
McClown27
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:33 am

McClown27 wrote:
SMU Football Blog wrote:I still can't figure out why the 6-5 (regular season, including wins over Temple and Duke) Virginia's staff was so coveted that their OC and DC both got IA coaching jobs.

Golden--Temple
Signed
D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Long Island)
Ahmad Brooks (Jersey, I can't remember for sure)
Wali Lundy

Prince signed that QB who graduated. These were all huge surprises. In years past, Penn State would have gotten all of these players. That was the major shock out here.

The QB was Marques Hagans.

Groh's offense requires a pocket QB (see Matt Schaub) and that's why Hagans didn't have as much success as he could have. Christian Olsen will be their QB (think Matt Schaub) this year, he will be successful if he gets some good blocking. Next year's QB will be Vic Hall who is more like Marques Hagans. Groh can't figure out what type of player works best in his system...

Groh can still recruit in Hampton as well as getting talent out of the DC area and DeMatha. He will be hurt by the loss of Jersey talent though.

BRING BACK GEORGE WELCH!
CalallenStang

Postby McClown27 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:38 am

Where is Portland? You must have that college football package.
Willis to slot receiver!
McClown27
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:43 am

McClown27 wrote:Where is Portland? You must have that college football package.

Corpus area, and no, I don't actually. I do follow UVA pretty closely though (almost as closely as I do SMU).

My favorite UVA quote...Marquis Weeks, after returning a punt or interception or something for a touchdown...

"It was all instinct, kindof like running from the cops."

How did he not end up at Miami? :lol:
CalallenStang

Postby McClown27 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:18 pm

Did your parents go to UVA?
Willis to slot receiver!
McClown27
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:26 pm

McClown27 wrote:Did your parents go to UVA?

No but lots of family history there. My parents went to what most Texans think is Harvard-on-the-Colorado.
CalallenStang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:48 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
McClown27 wrote:Did your parents go to UVA?

No but lots of family history there. My parents went to what most Texans think is Harvard-on-the-Colorado.
*LOL* I love it. SMU will soon be getting $$$ from Longhorns when you begin attending school here!

"Harvard-on-the-Colorado"? :roll: Now that's funny!
MrMustang1965

Return to Around the Hilltop