PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Not SMU related so please do not read....

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Not SMU related so please do not read....

Postby mrydel » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:30 pm

I feel obligated to mention that here in Arkansas we lost a real icon a couple of evenings ago. Paul Eels, the "voice" of Arkansas Razorbacks sports for the past 28 years was killed in a head on collision Monday evening. Love or hate the Razorbacks or not care at all, if you ever heard or met Paul Eels, you met a very fine man. Tributes have been being played on all radio and TV stations almost continually. He was the antithesis of Dale Hanson. Eels is described by all as having no ego and treating everyone the same from the highest position to the lowest. As an example of his ability to transcend all, not only is he beloved to Frank Broyles and all of the UA administration, but he is also one of Nolan Richardson's best friends. He was the sports announcer at Vanderbilt 28 years ago and tv personalities in Nashville are breaking up on air talking about their memories of Paul. If you ever listened to a UA broadcast, you anticipated the "Touchdown Arkansas.......Oh My!!!!!!!!".

Just to let anyone who has chosen to read this know how much of a fixture he was to me, I played Jr. High and High School ball in Arkansas and was an avid Razorback fan growing up. The first thing I thought of after hearing of his death was how I grew up listening to Paul and then realized he did not even come to Arkansas until I was 3 years out of SMU. He is the only voice I can recall at UA and local news.

The accident was a head on collision in which Eels crossed the median and killed a 40 year old wife and mother of 3. Do not yet know the cause what made Paul go across the median, but it was probable a heart attack or stroke.

Prayers please to the Eels family and the family of the other victim.

Thank you for allowing me to share this. It is meant for any of you that may have had any past experience with UA and/or Paul Eels.
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jtstang » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:07 pm

You're a class act, mrydel.
jtstang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:52 pm

mrydel: please accept my condolences on this sad event. It's always tough when we lose one of our idols and someone we look up to.
MrMustang1965

Postby ponyplayer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:01 am

know a lot of Ark alumns, tragic.
ponyplayer
All-American

Postby DiamondM » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:31 pm

While I personally have no great love for the Razorbacks, my uncle-in-law is the publisher of Hogs Illustrated, and my grandfather in law was Orville Henry, the great Arkansas sports writer (Nolan Richardson eulogized him at his funeral several years ago). I haven't had a chance to talk them, but I'm sure my husband's family is very sad about this loss to the Razorback family.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:14 pm

Orville Henry was another great one and was during my time there. And I assume your Uncle in Law is Clay. He does a good job.
mrydel

Postby DiamondM » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:18 pm

Yup. My uncle Clay Henry. Some of my Razorback friends are such devotees of the mag and his newsletters that sometimes they know more about what's going on with the family than I do. When they ask me questions about how Clay's kids are doing, I start thinking "stalker."
DiamondM
Heisman

Return to Around the Hilltop