PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Beta House

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Beta House

Postby JesuitPony » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:39 pm

Does anyone know the university's plans for the Beta house now that the chapter has been kicked off campus?
JesuitPony
All-American

Postby SMUltimedia » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:41 pm

Rumor was they wanted to make it some kind of IFC house for all those officers to live in. Not an icecube's chance in hell any IFC board members would live there though...
SMUltimedia
Junior Varsity

Postby JesuitPony » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:42 pm

Was it run down or would the IFC folks refuse to live there because of the stigma of living in another fraternity's house?
JesuitPony
All-American

Postby smu diamond m » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:41 am

I also heard the IFC was moving in.
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUtrojanFAN » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:56 pm

The house itself is in pretty bad shape. Before anyone moves in there, it will have to be worked on. I don't think IFC guys would refuse to live there because it's another fraternity's house; but because it's a sh*-hole and most of those guys would rather live with their own friends in apartments off campus.
IFC still might use it as a meeting place or something, but Beta will be recolonized in the next five years or so anyway.
GO MUSTANGS!

FIGHT ON!
SMUtrojanFAN
All-American

Postby JesuitPony » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:51 pm

That's too bad and not at all surprising. I think that house was only 15 or so years old.
JesuitPony
All-American

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:51 pm

I drove by there today, and there were some workers out there putting a fresh coat of paint on the front door...
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby smu diamond m » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:37 pm

Yeah, they restripe the parking and do that stuff around this time.
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Big10Ponyfan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:23 am

Forgive my ignorance, which Beta house are we talking about?
Big10Ponyfan

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:59 am

SMUtrojanFAN wrote:IFC still might use it as a meeting place or something, but Beta will be recolonized in the next five years or so anyway.

I seriously doubt the Beta's come back. Aren't we past due for the ATO's to come back? That was 1997, I think.

When was the last time a new fraternity tried to get started at SMU? I mean a real fraternity. I think it was Phi Psi and (a) that was the 80's; and (b) they are gone.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Phi Delt » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:33 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:
SMUtrojanFAN wrote:IFC still might use it as a meeting place or something, but Beta will be recolonized in the next five years or so anyway.

I seriously doubt the Beta's come back. Aren't we past due for the ATO's to come back? That was 1997, I think.

When was the last time a new fraternity tried to get started at SMU? I mean a real fraternity. I think it was Phi Psi and (a) that was the 80's; and (b) they are gone.

I think Sig Ep came back on campus a few years ago after having their charter revoked for declining membership or sometihng...it's difficult to do, especialliy if you don't remain active during your time off campus. From what I could tell, Betas weren't ever very active during their time on campus anyways, so it would be pretty difficult for them to recolonize.
Phi Delt
Recruit

Postby Phi Delt » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:34 pm

Big10Ponyfan wrote:Forgive my ignorance, which Beta house are we talking about?

In between the Fiji and Sig Ep houses
Phi Delt
Recruit

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:50 pm

Phi Delt wrote:
SMU Football Blog wrote:

I think Sig Ep came back on campus a few years ago after having their charter revoked for declining membership or sometihng...it's difficult to do, especialliy if you don't remain active during your time off campus. From what I could tell, Betas weren't ever very active during their time on campus anyways, so it would be pretty difficult for them to recolonize.

Beta is already confirmed to be restarted. From day one, they had an agreement with SMU that they would restart the chapter.

http://www.smudailycampus.com/vnews/dis ... _archive=1

Sig Ep didn't fully shut down, the chapter was just restarted. Former members were removed, and I believe the next semester, new members were recruited by nationals. There was never an extended lapse in having members in the chapter like there will be for Beta
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby Big10Ponyfan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:55 am

I used to be a Sig Ep, although briefly, were they about to be shut down again in recent years. I was in the smaller house when all hell broke loose in the spring of 1989. Is that chapter in trouble again?
Big10Ponyfan

Postby smu diamond m » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:03 am

Big10Ponyfan wrote:I used to be a Sig Ep, although briefly, were they about to be shut down again in recent years. I was in the smaller house when all hell broke loose in the spring of 1989. Is that chapter in trouble again?

No.
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop