PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

It is not an earthquake

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

It is not an earthquake

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:33 pm

Hello to the California Mustangs. I am going to be spending a few days in San Diego (Tues -Fri). Just wanted to give you a heads up when I get there my weight may shift the earth a little but it will all be ok. Never been to California before much less San Diego. Going to take in the zoo. Any other suggestions? I wil be staying at La Jolla Hilton Torrey Pines. No golf this time however.
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponygrad90 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:46 pm

I would do the wild animal park over the zoo, if your going to the beach my favorite is in Lajolla shores.

Sea world is cool, there is so much to do if your not a golfer what are your interests????

Take in a baseball game at the new stadium?
ponygrad90
Varsity

Postby FordtoTolbert » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:24 pm

..@ Torrey Pines and NO golf???? I would stay inside my hotel room for fear of being shamed.....
FordtoTolbert
All-American

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:03 pm

I have the wife with me and not enough time to justify golf. Going to the Wild Animal Park too. Maybe the Midway. Or maybe I wil shame myself and just stay in the room.
mrydel

Postby smupony94 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:52 pm

At least it is in the low 80's - went this time last year and it was miserable due to the heat - at the zoo I mean
smupony94

Postby OC Mustang » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:56 pm

mrydel,

Used to live in OC, about an hour north of San Diego.

General:
Zoo is great. Gaslamp district has good food. Legoland is god-awful overpriced, but fun for the little ones (if that is relevant). Seaworld is kinda cool, especially the shark pool. The Hotel Coronado and the US Grant are nice hotels. Go down to Coronado. Is really, really nice.
The peninsula is nice too. There is a lighthouse at the end of it, and the top of the hill it is on overlooks the naval base.
You have to drive by the Mormon temple in LaJolla just for kicks. Looks...well, you gotta just see it. I can't describe it adequately.

Shopping:
Go up a little further north than LaJolla, and Carlsbad has an outlet mall with a Ralph Lauren outlet, among other things. LaJolla has all of the high end stuff you can get anywhere. It is what it is.

Eats: In Del Mar, Il Fornaio is really good. Normal above-average to high end price tag. Mille Fleur is awesome, but pricey ($100/person at the minimum) (and don't ask me where it is...I was not sober coming or going...all I know is that my wallet was MUCH lighter going out than in).

If you have ever read The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren's church is in Lake Forest in Orange County...about an hour...maybe hour and a half north...is worth going to just for a visit, and they make it oh so easy for people to come. They are not over the top, and it is a great way to see a world-class worship service without feeling greasy when you leave.

Whatever you do, renting a little convertible and driving up Pacific Coast Highway until Newport Beach or even up into Palos Verdes is completely worth the trip. If the weather has gone back to normal, the coast is magnificent (part of the trip is the 5 freeway...Camp Pendleton and the USMC have little use for PCH).

I will end this missive by saying this...no place I have ever lived compares to SoCal.
"Moderation in all things, and especially in Absoluts [vodka]." The Benediction, Doc Breeden, circa 1992
OC Mustang
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:04 am

Thanks, I am off to the airport.
mrydel

Return to Around the Hilltop