PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OT: Worst announcer?

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who is the worst football announcer/analyst working today?

[deleted] Enberg
18%
Brian Estridge (TCU)
32%
Mel Kiper
7%
Brent Musberger
29%
Dave South (Texas A&M)
14%

Total votes : 28

Postby mrydel » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:44 pm

I am pretty sure that Musberger is responsible for the new rules to shorten college football games. Anything to listen to him less.
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Silk » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:57 pm

peruna88, I don't get it. Rich does a fantastic job. He's enthusiastic without being a cheerleader with a microphone.

Try living over here (FW) and getting stuck listening to a Frog game. Estridge sounds like every 2-yard run is cause for a parade, thinks Gary Patterson could have taught Vince Lombardi a thing or two and gets annoying as hell the way he lowers his voice and leans into the microphone, presumably in an effort to make it sound really emotional and intense. It's nauseating. He does the same thing on the Galloway show during the week. He's absolutely awful.

OK, Musberger's worse. I've never heard anyone EVER say he's good. Surely this opinion has reached the network execs -- how the hell does he still get work?
Silk
Varsity

Postby Roach » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:35 pm

Enberg is the one I can't stand. He always acts like he's completely surprised, even by a two-yard sweep. It's like he's never seen the game.

He should stick to broadcasting tennis, because I don't watch tennis.
Roach
Heisman

Postby that's great raplh » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:19 pm

Peruna88 wrote:Sorry, can't vote until Rich Phillips is added to the list. Pure radio anthrax.

8)

rich, swannie and jimmy rock

of course, wally lynn has a special place in my heart

muffie benson perella

169 black horseshoes - Green Party Activist - I am the Greetest!

Now selling Hope at a price slightly higher than free...
that's great raplh

Postby Peruna88 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:37 pm

that's great raplh wrote:
Peruna88 wrote:Sorry, can't vote until Rich Phillips is added to the list. Pure radio anthrax.

8)

rich, swannie and jimmy rock

of course, wally lynn has a special place in my heart

I have no problem listening to Craig Swann or Mr. Jimmy.

8)
Peruna88
All-American

Postby that's great raplh » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:08 pm

what bothers you so much about rich?

muffie benson perella

that's great raplh

Postby JesuitPony » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:36 pm

After suffering through three quarters of the new Monday Night Football on ESPN, Joe Theisman has to be included in any list of worst announcers.
JesuitPony
All-American

Postby PonyPride » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:50 pm

Swanny is great. I still laugh when I remember him describing how some linebacker (D.D. Lee, I think) "got (the ball carrier) lined up and just run 'slap' over him." Everyone in the radio booth pretty much fell apart after that one. How Rich kept it together to call the next play was/is beyond me.

I'm also a fan of Wally Lynn and Mark Followill, having worked with those guys, too. The worst SMU announcer since football came back -- NO CONTEST -- was Ted Dawson. He was brutal.
PonyPride

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:04 pm

PonyPride wrote:Swanny is great. I still laugh when I remember him describing how some linebacker (D.D. Lee, I think) "got (the ball carrier) lined up and just run 'slap' over him." Everyone in the radio booth pretty much fell apart after that one. How Rich kept it together to call the next play was/is beyond me.

I'm also a fan of Wally Lynn and Mark Followill, having worked with those guys, too. The worst SMU announcer since football came back -- NO CONTEST -- was Ted Dawson. He was brutal.

Swann reminds me of when they would have a third "guest" announcer in the booth for Cowboys preseason games. Randy White comes to mind.

IMO we should have a different poll...in fact, I'd post the thread if I knew how to make it a "poll." Best sideline reporter: Jimmy Christopher or Eric Dickerson?
RGV Pony

Postby Casey » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:13 pm

Dickerson is to Christopher as a sideline reporter as Christopher is to Dickerson as a running back.

That said, rumor has it the great John Hampton is working the sidelines this year.

On another note, even the great ones have a bad night. On SportsCenter tonight, Scott Van Pelt -- who doesn't get much pub but is quickly becoming the best SportsCenter anchor on the network -- was showing highlights of a Rockies/Diamondbacks game, when a pseudo-fight broke out. He was cracking a joke about the silly tradition of pitchers coming all the way in from the bullpen to take part in a fight that usually amounts to nothing more than a testosterone-laden shoving match, and said that "cool headers prevailed." Oops.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:53 pm

Musberger should win this vote by a landslide. I'll have to write in Johnny Vaughn who does the Longview Lobo games though. He's the only play by play guy to have a 23 game streak where he has to correct the ball position before, and after a play, the yards gained, and the down on at least one play during the game. :roll: Do you agree M35?
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:06 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Musberger should win this vote by a landslide. I'll have to write in Johnny Vaughn who does the Longview Lobo games though. He's the only play by play guy to have a 23 game streak where he has to correct the ball position before, and after a play, the yards gained, and the down on at least one play during the game. :roll: Do you agree M35?
OMG! Johnny Vaughn is still doing Lobo games? He began doing 'em when I was there in the mid-80s! *LOL*
MrMustang1965

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:21 pm

JesuitPony wrote:After suffering through three quarters of the new Monday Night Football on ESPN, Joe Theisman has to be included in any list of worst announcers.

No Joke. Maybe someone should send Lawrence Taylor into the booth during a game to put us out of our misery. BTW, Speaking of the Pro Game Announcers...[deleted] Stockton and his corpse like demeanor is a total beat down.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:30 pm

There are so many choices. For College Football, Musberger is pretty bad. Trev Albert will probably show how bad he is for CSTV this year, so I want to put in an early vote for him. For college basketball, Billy Packer is just plain awful. For pro football - Theisman is up there on the list. I'm hoping Tony K gets his knife out and really starts breaking bad on him as the season goes along. There are some forgetable Fox guys whose names I can't remember at the moment they were mediocre.
EastStang

Postby that's great raplh » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:39 pm

musberger - pls someone fire him

muffie benson perella

that's great raplh

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop