PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

"SMU (athletics) and more community partnerships"

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

"SMU (athletics) and more community partnerships"

Postby Cheesesteak » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:45 am

Texadelphia honors SMU Athletics with mural

By Jordan Hofeditz, Sports Editor, SMU Daily Campus, jhofedit@smu.edu
August 25, 2006

Texadelphia unveiled a mural dedicated to some of SMU’s greatest athletes Thursday night.

The 225-inch mural is a tribute to the history of SMU athletics and the players that have contributed to the schools’ past successes.

Restaurant owner Tom Landis is a graduate of the University of Texas at Austin, but his wife is a graduate of SMU.

It was Landis who contacted SMU to get the project started.

“I wanted to get more involved with SMU athletics and bring in more SMU students,” he said after the official unveiling.

Landis is also looking to do athletic promotions at the restaurant as the different sports seasons begin.

The project took nine months to complete. The artist is former SMU employee Grant Hawkins, who now works part-time designing the athletic posters and the Web site.

The mural is a montage of sports photographs hanging on the wall next to the ordering line. It includes a timeline at the bottom highlighting important events in the history of Mustang athletics.

The event was full of SMU alumni, along with current SMU athletics staff including new head basketball coach Mike Doherty, Associate Athletic Director Scott Secules and Athletic Director Steve Orsini.

Orsini talked about this being a great opportunity to create community interaction.

According to the new athletic director, SMU provides the “only college athletics in Dallas,” and there should be “more community partnerships.” This is only the beginning to the SMU community partnerships; the other portion is SMU’s responsibility. Orsini recognized that in order to really bring the community to Mustang athletics the teams have to win.

Easier said than done. However, 2006 could be the year that SMU puts itself back on the collegiate football map.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby ponyplayer » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:24 am

if you get the chance go over and check it out, worth the lunch or dinner to see it...........................
ponyplayer
All-American

Re: "SMU (athletics) and more community partnerships"

Postby jtstang » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:35 am

Cheesesteak wrote:The event was full of SMU alumni, along with current SMU athletics staff including new head basketball coach Mike Doherty, Associate Athletic Director Scott Secules and Athletic Director Steve Orsini.

Fine work by the Daily Campus, as per the norm.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: "SMU (athletics) and more community partnerships"

Postby MustangIcon » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:54 am

jtstang wrote:
Cheesesteak wrote:The event was full of SMU alumni, along with current SMU athletics staff including new head basketball coach Mike Doherty, Associate Athletic Director Scott Secules and Athletic Director Steve Orsini.

Fine work by the Daily Campus, as per the norm.

I will have to agree with you jt. I actually sent an email to the "Sports Editor" who wrote this article. It is inexcusable to get the name of the head coach wrong for ANY program at SMU. This seems like an especially big blunder considering Doherty is known throughout college sports and is one of the biggest coaching names we have ever had at SMU.

The DC wonders why it gets no respect and why everyone thinks it sucks so much. I wonder why considering the excellent product they produce. :roll:
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby Corso » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:27 am

When I was in school, journalism students ran that thing and basically competed for the chance to cover anything, from football games to program council meetings. Now I hear it's hard to pay a journalism major to work for the paper.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:21 pm

Jounalism majors for the most part stay away from the sports desk because "its not serious". I wrote for the sports page and was not a journalism major and ended up at the end of the year with more column inches for the year than any other reporter which by the way made me the highest paid reporter since we were paid like one cent per column inch or some such non-sense. But it kept me in beer money. The arts editor and I talked about switching places for a week for him to cover sports and for me to cover ballet, but we figured that we would get in way too much trouble if we did, since I know nothing about ballet and he knew nothing about baseball.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Around the Hilltop