PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

JD / MBA of the Day: Jonathan Eakman, With A Big FU to SMU

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby ponydawg » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:26 pm

haha.

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/10/jonathan ... u.php#more

Monday, October 19, 2009 10:20 AM - By Kashmir Hill

SMU Dedman School of Law in Texas has turned out at least one charmer. We now have evidence that it can produce the not-so-charming type as well. Multiple readers alerted us to this thread on Reddit.com: How to Get Kicked Out of Grad School Before You Even Start.

It’s an email conversation between Jonathan Eakman, an SMU Dedman law school student, and the admissions office of the SMU Cox School of Business. Eakman was supposed to start the MBA portion of a JD/MBA joint program this fall. Before starting classes, MBA students must complete three mandatory online tests. These emails track Eakman’s series of excuses for not taking the tests. They include “having too much fun this summer” and “a car wreck, computer problems, stupid family issues and a kidney stone scare.”

He asks the admissions office to “be cool on this” since, in a previous job, he “dodged having to take responsibility for a billion dollar budget, so [he knows] what [he’s] doing.” It only gets more hilarious from there.

We contacted Jonathan Eakman by Facebook. After the jump, we give you the email thread as well as the postscript. SMU Cox Business School did not greet Eakman with open arms on the first day of school.

From the person who submitted the thread to Reddit:

The Story of an Educated Idiot. It’s a lot to read, so I realize most won’t, but those who do make it to the bottom will be glad they did. I feel (just a little) bad about posting this, but apparently he already did, to his Facebook page, exactly as it appears here, for all 180 of his “Friends” to see. Incidentally, I am not one of those 180 Friends. I am, however, real-life friends with one of his virtual FB Friends, and this friend copy/pasted it into an email and forwarded it to me. So that’s how I got it. Here it is.
And here’s the full thread, for your reading pleasure. We’re not bothering to redact names, as the thread has already gone viral.

Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 1:00 PM
To: Murdoch, Holly M.
Subject: Ivy software
Holly,

Having too much fun this summer. Need a little extra time on the ivy software. Got the worst out of the way with the accounting, and the business math shouldn’t be a problem (econ degree), but the I have a hitch in my step with the corp finance. Have patience with me.

Thanks. Jonathan

To: Eakman, Jonathan
Subject: RE: Ivy software

Jon - You can have an extension until August 5. Please have them complete by then.

Thanks, Holly Murdoch MBA Admissions

Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 9:17 AM

Holly,

Had some family issues and haven’t been able to get the last Corp Finance study prep test done. Be cool on this. In my last job, I dodged having to take responsibility for a billion dollar budget, so I know what I’m doing. Thanks for your help/understanding.

Jonathan

Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:46 PM

Jonathan - Please have them complete by the end of the weekend.

Thanks,
Holly Murdoch MBA Admissions

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 11:11 AM

Holly,

I hate excuses, but I find myself using them. A car wreck, computer problems, stupid family issues and a kidney stone scare have made my three weeks less than productive. I suggest maybe an oral examination to prove my competency or, since bootcamp is already in progress, we forget about it. The downside risk for me is that my grades might suffer, and I am OK with that. Looking forward to a great year in school!

Jonathan

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 11:40 AM

Jonathan - I am sorry to hear of your recent troubles. However, successful completion of the 3 online tests is required of all students for full enrollment in the MBA program this fall. Please let me know when you’ll be able to complete them.

Regards, Patti Patti Cudney
Director, MBA Admissions Cox School of Business at SMU

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 12:17 PM
To: Cudney, Patti

Patti,

The legal education received next door has made me a cynic. Not once has there been an exception made? Never? Not once? Would you admit me if I actually believed that? I’ll get it done. Just don’t feed me the [deleted] and bull story.

Jonathan

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 12:26 PM

Jonathan - I can only speak definitively to the last 6 entering classes since I have worked here, but there has not been an exception made.

Patti Cudney Director, MBA Admissions Cox School of Business at SMU

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 12:43 PM
To: Cudney, Patti

Patti,
So you would admit me if I believed that.
Jonathan

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 12:44 PM
To: ‘Eakman, Jonathan’

Since I have been here, no one has been allowed to start the program without completing the test requirements.

Patti Cudney Director, MBA Admissions Cox School of Business at SMU

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: JDMBAs

Dear Mr. Eakman,

Your e-mail messages regarding your failure to complete the prerequisites for entering the MBA program have been forwarded to me. First, no one has ever asked for an exception for completing work required to enter the MBA program, nor, obviously, has an exception ever been granted. You were, however, granted several extensions of time to meet the requirements. Frankly, if you are having problems meeting these requirements, whatever the reason, you may well find the program expectations to be very challenging. In addition, the tone you have taken in communicating with Cox staff about the matter is inappropriate. I cannot imagine that you would communicate this way with faculty and staff at the Dedman School and it won’t be tolerated here. If you would like the opportunity to enter the MBA program, I am available this week for a face-to-face meeting to discuss your sincere interest in the program and in meeting all requirements of the program. I strongly suggest that prior to such a meeting, you complete all the requirements if you haven’t done so already. Absent completion of all requirements and a meeting to discuss your seriousness about the MBA program by Friday this week, your admission to the Cox School of Business MBA program will be revoked.

Sincerely,
Marci Armstrong Marci Armstrong, Ph.D.
Associate Dean, Graduate Programs Cox School of Business Southern Methodist University

Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:19 PM
To: marci
Subject: RE: JDMBAs

Marci,
Did you read the whole email? Don’t use undergraduate threats with a graduate student. Its unbecoming. And hysterical. Furthermore, you granted me an exception on time, so how is an exception on completion any different? As for ability to complete the SMU MBA program, did you check my resume? Do you know I’m a law student next door? On academic scholarship? It is on my resume. It’s a pretty solid resume, you should look. I have real world corporate finance experience for the world’s largest airline. I did their sales strategy. I got there by programming metrics based web applications. I have an econ degree. Might make that corporate finance test seem unnecessary. Furthermore, you assume I have time for a face to face meeting. That is the problem with completing the requirements. I agree that the test is easy to complete. I passed the other two without opening the study materials. I just had a some bad luck and need time to deal with it. That is why I have been granted several extensions. Which I appreciate. But once I complete the requirements, which is one test, what do we have to talk about? My sincere interest in the program? I’m already admitted and my deposit has been paid. I’m enrolled in classes. That’s what I consider sincere interest. What’s your definition? As for my tone. Please define inappropriate. If there is any school bylaws I need to refer to please let me know. This is how the grownups over at the law school communicate. Do you not have a sense of humor? I’ve been at SMU for two years now and I am aware how people communicate. Does this work on people with work experience? Maybe its just hard to threaten (future) attorneys. As for the revoking my admission. I paid the deposit. That means I’m acccepted. Please send appropriate bylaws dealing with rejection of admitted students. You act like I’m a trouble maker, and I’m a law student. What caused the misperception?How many JD/MBA’s do you have problems with? I’m unimpressed with your response. Is this how the business school is going to treat its best students?

Jonathan Ellison Eakman

Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 18:28:31 -0500
To: Armstrong, Marci
Subject: FW: JDMBAs

Marci,

The admissions department revoking my admission when I am already admitted?? Good try. As an admitted student there is a process for expulsion. Once you allowed me to pay the deposit, put me on the student email, enrolled me in classes, and caused me to spend $900 on textbooks I was admitted. Just because you call the tests prerequisites doesn’t mean they aren’t part of the school curriculum. This goes to the honor board. I am requesting they be brought into this. I am also re-requsting the appropriate bylaws you are acting under.You refunded my nonrefundable deposit. Glad I didn’t get deposit insurance. I’ll be there on monday, since I’m on the roll. It really was a good try.

Jonathan

Really? This is “how the grownups over at the law school communicate”?

We contacted Eakman for comment. It turns out that he was greeted by police officers on the first day of class.

Here’s what he told us via Facebook message:

Thanks for your interest. I really appreciate getting to tell my side of the story. I want to make a couple points right off the bat. First, several students did not set up their email and therefore did not take the prerequisite tests, and were still admitted. They faced no penalties that I know off. Secondly, you don’t kick out a student two days before school starts. I was admitted, the admissions department should have nothing to do with it. I was attending their seminars, and was (and still) on their email list. Thirdly, there is nothing in the bylaws about kicking out a student for being rude. Academic dishonesty, yes, rudeness no. When I showed up to the school I was met by police officers, who restrained me from talking to the admissions person. The law school on the other hand, had no problems with my behavior, and welcomed me back to the law school. I have decided that I don’t want to continue at SMU, but it was obviously too late to apply to other schools, so have taken some time off.
Sounds like Eakman is not being cool on this.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: JD / MBA of the Day: Jonathan Eakman, With A Big FU to SMU

Postby EastStang » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:25 pm

If you act like a clown, you get treated like a clown. My wife teaches computer classes online at the Community College. She dutifully lets students who haven't completed any work that they need to get moving because if they wait to the last week, grades usually suffer since they don't get resubmit work. She lets them know when the non-penalty drop date is coming. She let's them know once the semester is over that they are incomplete and they have another semester to finish (school policy for on-line). She lets them know as that semester winds down that they are going to fail if they don't get their work done. And some never do it and then on the last day of that semester come up with some lame excuse for an extension (which per school policy can only be granted by the Dean). So, she sends the request to the Dean who usually responds, NO, and then the student figures out that he or she must do something, so they appeal to the Provost, saying that my wife didn't tell them what would happen and then she has to send all the emails she sent to these clowns. Hey Jonathon, since you are going to law school, try that with a judge and see if you get a roommate in a 3x5 cell named Bruiser.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:35 pm

The guy thought he was Tucker Max. Eakman...you, sir, are no Tucker Max.
RGV Pony

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:12 pm

I wonder how he stays in Dedman with his immature, defiant attitude.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Sounds like he would fit in perfectly.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby abezontar » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:20 pm

I don't know of a single professor at Dedman that would tolerate that type of attitude. In fact, I would love to have seen him try that with Dorsaneo.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby expony18 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:53 pm

RGV Pony wrote:The guy thought he was Tucker Max. Eakman...you, sir, are no Tucker Max.

tucker max can't touch my jock
WEST DIVISION CHAMPS 2010
expony18

Postby DiamondM » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Note to self:

Make sure the person who screens resumes at my firm tosses any resumes from Mr. Eakman in the circular file. Some law school may take him and let him complete his degree, but few lawyers will actually want to hire such a spoiled, entitled jerk. Clearly the guy has no common sense if he thinks anything in the email string he posted to his facebook page make him look in any way justified in his actions.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby The Spaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:42 pm

Alan Shore: Yes, I know, I'll get letters...

"some people post yet know NOTHING about football..."

WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?
The Spaz
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:27 pm

info on his FB profile makes it look like he went to undergrad at TCU.
RGV Pony

Postby couch 'em » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:40 pm

The Spaz wrote:http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=Jonathan+Eakman&init=quick#/Eakman?v=wall&ref=search

From his facebook:

Jonathan Eakman I didn't explain my last post. They kicked me out for being rude. Some people didn't set up their email and therefore didn't do the "prerequisites" and are sitting in class. Why does my family seem to take the other side?

His own family knows he is a @$$.

Also:

Birthday: September 17, 1979

He's 30!!!

Clearly a TCU undergrad. And a sig ep.

Him:

"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:03 pm

Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:Sounds like he would fit in perfectly.

Not in my day, which I admit was awhile ago.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jtstang » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:29 am

He rents cute chicks for his photo ops.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
jtstang

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:56 am

jtstang wrote:He rents cute chicks for his photo ops.

not a bad idea.
RGV Pony

Postby SMUfiji43 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:38 pm

couch 'em wrote:
The Spaz wrote:http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=Jonathan+Eakman&init=quick#/Eakman?v=wall&ref=search

The girl in the green is pretty easy on the eyes. John "King Douchbag IV" Eakman has a striking resemblance to Alan from "The Hangover"

"I love coaching here at SMU University" -June Jones
SMUfiji43
All-American

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop