PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Admittance to SMU is harder than ever

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Admittance to SMU is harder than ever

Postby Pony^ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:36 am

Specifically, this year’s number of prospective students increased 50 percent, and SMU received applications from over 3,000 different high schools nationwide.

http://www.smudailycampus.com/admittance-to-smu-is-harder-than-ever-1.2863881

According to DMN applications for 2012 are 13,800.

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20120420-editorial-smu-stereotype-no-longer-works.ece
Pony^
All-American

Re: Admittance to SMU is harder than ever

Postby Comet » Tue May 01, 2012 9:53 am

With 13,800 apps, I wonder how many will get admitted.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Tue May 01, 2012 10:07 am

Comet wrote:With 13,800 apps, I wonder how many will get admitted.

Spots to fill divided by predicted yield = number of admissions awarded

Usually, SMU aims for about 1,400 in an incoming class (if I recall correctly). I just looked the yield up on Google, and the best data I could find was that it was 34% a few years ago.

Thus, it is likely that SMU will admit just over 4,100
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Alasdair » Tue May 01, 2012 11:18 am

I'm wanting to go to SMU, I'm a junior from SE Michigan, I know I most likely wouldn't be accepted though :| Got to work on getting a higher ACT score + community college and etc. because I screwed around too much in freshman and sophomore year.
An SMU fan from the other D.
Alasdair
Junior Varsity

Postby CalallenStang » Tue May 01, 2012 11:36 am

Alasdair wrote:I'm wanting to go to SMU, I'm a junior from SE Michigan, I know I most likely wouldn't be accepted though :| Got to work on getting a higher ACT score + community college and etc. because I screwed around too much in freshman and sophomore year.

Try it. You might be surprised. I know that SMU (and other colleges) likes to see an upward grade trend through high school so if you have a solid GPA in your junior year and can put another good semester together, you might have a solid chance.

Plus just be honest and forthright about your shortcomings and how you are working to remedy them.

It wouldn't hurt to reach out to an SMU admissions counselor for advice, either.
CalallenStang

Postby Pony^ » Tue May 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Pony^
All-American

Postby Alasdair » Tue May 01, 2012 6:40 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
Alasdair wrote:I'm wanting to go to SMU, I'm a junior from SE Michigan, I know I most likely wouldn't be accepted though :| Got to work on getting a higher ACT score + community college and etc. because I screwed around too much in freshman and sophomore year.

Try it. You might be surprised. I know that SMU (and other colleges) likes to see an upward grade trend through high school so if you have a solid GPA in your junior year and can put another good semester together, you might have a solid chance.

Plus just be honest and forthright about your shortcomings and how you are working to remedy them.

It wouldn't hurt to reach out to an SMU admissions counselor for advice, either.

Thanks for the advice, my GPA is what would hurt me a lot... Just would like to ask, does SMU have a rugby team or club?
An SMU fan from the other D.
Alasdair
Junior Varsity

Postby BigT3x » Tue May 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Alasdair wrote:Just would like to ask, does SMU have a rugby team or club?

A club, yes.
BigT3x
All-American

Postby bubba pony » Tue May 01, 2012 8:13 pm

try for early admission. colleges like that because you are announcing you want in on that one college you applied to. also 1/2 of smu students are from outside Texas and SMU wants to reach national attention.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby MustangSTATS » Tue May 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Pony^ wrote:Here are the trends for admissions:
http://smu.edu/ir/Publications/Trends_2011/First_Time_Admissions.pdf

Why is there an upward trend in # of admitted students for 08-11, we are succeeding in getting more students (and higher scores) but the % admitted seems to stay the same which means our yield is shrinking.
MustangSTATS
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Tue May 01, 2012 10:59 pm

MustangSTATS wrote:

Why is there an upward trend in # of admitted students for 08-11, we are succeeding in getting more students (and higher scores) but the % admitted seems to stay the same which means our yield is shrinking.

Part of it is a national trend - students are applying to more schools than ever before, and a lot of places are seeing yields go down. It doesn't have to be the case that our yield goes down, though - we can get more of these students to campus by building the amount of scholarship funding that we have to offer. That's where fundraising comes into the equation.
CalallenStang

Postby Pony^ » Tue May 01, 2012 11:21 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
MustangSTATS wrote:

Part of it is a national trend - students are applying to more schools than ever before, and a lot of places are seeing yields go down. It doesn't have to be the case that our yield goes down, though - we can get more of these students to campus by building the amount of scholarship funding that we have to offer. That's where fundraising comes into the equation.

Students are applying to more colleges, but better students also wind up with more choices. Since other schools are also trying to improve their stats, there is simply more competition for the type of students we are trying to attract.
Pony^
All-American

Postby Junior » Wed May 02, 2012 7:54 pm

CalallenStang wrote:

Usually, SMU aims for about 1,400 in an incoming class (if I recall correctly). I just looked the yield up on Google, and the best data I could find was that it was 34% a few years ago.

if they are aiming for ~1400, why would they admit 4100? they're not going to triple freshmen enrollment just because they received more applications this year. that yield will just be lower this year.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby CalallenStang » Wed May 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Junior wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:

if they are aiming for ~1400, why would they admit 4100? they're not going to triple freshmen enrollment just because they received more applications this year. that yield will just be lower this year.

You don't get it. Not everyone that gets admitted chooses to go to SMU. The historical number is 34% of those admitted ultimately enroll. Thus, if they hope to enroll 1400, they will have to admit 4100.

I think the confusion might be in vocabulary:

Yield = Number that Enroll / Number that are admitted
Acceptance Rate = Number that are admitted / Number that apply
CalallenStang

Postby Junior » Wed May 02, 2012 9:25 pm

CalallenStang wrote:You don't get it. Not everyone that gets admitted chooses to go to SMU. The historical number is 34% of those admitted ultimately enroll. Thus, if they hope to enroll 1400, they will have to admit 4100.

I think the confusion might be in vocabulary:

Yield = Number that Enroll / Number that are admitted
Acceptance Rate = Number that are admitted / Number that apply

I'm with you now. I suck at milti-tasking at work sometimes.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop