PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2015 Men's Lacrosse Results

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2015 Men's Lacrosse Results

Postby gostangs » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:09 pm

it is not a significantly different cost.

TIme to make a tough call Turner. Say goodbye to soccer - nobody cares. Lacrosse would be a great sport for our future.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:10 pm

My TCU gear wearing nephew wants to play lacrosse at SMU and is a top scorer at Prestonwood
smupony94

Postby smusportspage » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:07 pm

I have absolutely no skin in the Lacrosse game. Have only seen it on TV. I do however have a skin in SMU and want what is best for the athletic department. If it means adding men's Lacrosse and dropping another men's sport, I am all for it. I know that Lacrosse has become very popular in the Dallas area. But it still is a relatively young sport in contrast to other sports such as soccer. For those that know, can you tell me if it is more popular than soccer in this area? Kind of seems like a niche, sort of like women's field hockey, but maybe I am wrong. Would it be better to add Men's track maybe?
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:51 pm

I would say soccer's long-term future in America exceeds all team sports, save football and basketball.

But that isn't the question. Which sport has a better NCAA future? I would say lacrosse. As soccer becomes bigger in the USA, the best will nearly always forego college. As lacrosse goes, the peak is still college and nothing Major League Lacrosse or the National Lacrosse League do will change that any time soon.

If track were an option to add, I would say add it in a second. But we don't have a track suitable for men's track (or women's track really). And it isn't a spectator sport (some may disagree).

Heck, if I thought baseball at SMU was viable, I'd pick it over lacrosse or soccer. I thin NCAA Baseball has more future than soccer.

this discussion was really premised on the idea of swapping out lacrosse for soccer. It isn't going to happen.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NewAgeMustange » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:59 pm

never played lacrosse, just watched it because it was something unique and interesting (from KS). I felt that more people showed up to the men's lacrosse games than the soccer games during my time at smu. and the impression I got from the guys that were on the team was that it was cut-throat to get on.
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby smusportspage » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Interesting. In my perfect world. there would be a Lacrosse at SMU above the club level as well as a men's track team, as well as a Baseball team.....one can dream.
Last edited by smusportspage on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:33 am

SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby stc9 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:07 pm

Since we are still living in a hypothetical:

Step 1. Hire Dave Cottle as a consultant. He helped Marquette set up their lacrosse program. He could give RH all of the information needed to make an informed decision. Former HC at Maryland, Loyola University and current MLL Coach. I believe former ACC Coach of the Year.
Step 2. If this is feasible, RGT needs to work the phones (discreetly) and see if there are conference opportunities.
Step 3. Work with the Mustang Club to see if Soccer Boosters can be flipped to another sport. Determine if lacrosse will bring in at least an equal amount of donations.
Step 4. Make the decision to pull the trigger.
Step 5. If the answer is in the affirmative, start a search for a HC. I would bring in some alumni like football blog to be part of the interview committee. They would also be cheerleaders on forums like this, especially in the lean early years.

What I don't know:
1. What is the likelihood of getting some of the football and basketball fans to come out and learn the game/support the squad.
2. Would the student body show up? I remember going to girls soccer games, but never to a guy's game. Pretty girls, short shorts...
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby NewAgeMustange » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:20 am

have you watched the men's team play. Always a decent crowd that came out. Lots of lax bros on campus and even more that pick up the game. Tons of guys out of the NE and cali. I could bet that you would at least initially match or exceed the crowd for soccer.
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:33 am

NewAgeMustange wrote:have you watched the men's team play. Always a decent crowd that came out. Lots of lax bros on campus and even more that pick up the game. Tons of guys out of the NE and cali. I could bet that you would at least initially match or exceed the crowd for soccer.

I agree. Would open us up to new students too
smupony94

Postby smupony94 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:23 am

I'm at the Prestonwood Christian Academy game they're about to play prosper who hasn't won a game a hour prior to start about 300 people here
smupony94

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:31 am

SMU Beat LSU.

And Southlake ain't making the playoffs. Soooo many opinions. Will keep mouth shut.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:14 am

SMU lost in the playoffs to Texas State. Texas State is good. Texas State then beat UT to win LSA conference.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Football Blog » Fri May 01, 2015 10:47 am

I invoked the word "tempo" in my halftime talk last night. Needed the kids to get out and play fast in second half with a 3 goal lead because I warned them the other team was going to come back. Didn't help as we quickly squandered that 3 goal lead and were down 2 with 3 minutes left in the game. Escaped with a tie with 3 seconds left.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Football Blog » Sat May 02, 2015 7:48 pm

Youth lacrosse season officially over. (Thank God). Single worst lacrosse year for me ever. Fall season was a mess and Spring was a disaster.

Allen wins state title in Division I in OT. The discrepancy between NTX lacrosse and the rest of the state is chasm.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop