PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recent SMU admissions stories?

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Recent SMU admissions stories?

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:15 am

smupony94 wrote:I think SMU has a deal with Dallas community college

They did in my heyday. If you had x number of hours and a certain GPA (3.7 I think) you could apply for a transfer scholarship into SMU. Not only were the admissions easier, but you also had the opportunity for a full tuition scholarship. Worst case scenario you would have 1/2 of tuition paid.

Me and 3 from high school did that. So us poor white kids who attended a Dallas Public School got to make something of ourselves. Considering less than a dozen from my high school graduating class even went to college I think that is pretty cool that 1/4 went to SMU.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:07 am

Very cool.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony147 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:48 pm

I knew several kids who had transferred in from Richland. That seemed like the go-to place if you want to transfer in
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby ponyscott » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:16 am

In my time at SMU I took classes concurrently at Richland CC all the way through my last semester and SMU allowed the classes to transfer directly credit hour for credit hour. It saved me lots of $ at the time as I worked my way through SMU. FYI--
ponyscott

Postby Greenwich Pony » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:30 am

Oh come on, this is SMU! We admit nothing...
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:09 pm

ponyscott wrote:In my time at SMU I took classes concurrently at Richland CC all the way through my last semester and SMU allowed the classes to transfer directly credit hour for credit hour. It saved me lots of $ at the time as I worked my way through SMU. FYI--

I really wish I had done that and I am encouraging my younger cousins to follow that route
smupony94

Postby ponyscott » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:36 am

smupony94 wrote:
ponyscott wrote:In my time at SMU I took classes concurrently at Richland CC all the way through my last semester and SMU allowed the classes to transfer directly credit hour for credit hour. It saved me lots of $ at the time as I worked my way through SMU. FYI--

I really wish I had done that and I am encouraging my younger cousins to follow that route

They don't allow that today as they allow the JC route and take the credits that apply like basic English classes but you can't take JC concurrently FWIW.
ponyscott

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:08 am

Heck, I'm just hoping my kids can get in. In 6-8 years they're going to need a near 4.0 and a 1400+. Geeze.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:48 am

Cox, I've already started to indoctrinate my youngest on the details of the pdf linked in the article below. Hopefully it's still in place in 5 years.

http://www.collin.edu/transferu/smu.html
RGV Pony

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:52 am

RGV Pony wrote:Cox, I've already started to indoctrinate my youngest on the details of the pdf linked in the article below. Hopefully it's still in place in 5 years.

Thanks! I'm actually looking for this type of program. Like you said, hope it's around in five years. College has become so expensive. Only issue is that I hate for them to miss out on those important first couple of years on campus.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:55 pm

ponyscott wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

They don't allow that today as they allow the JC route and take the credits that apply like basic English classes but you can't take JC concurrently FWIW.

You can but it requires pre-approval, isn't allowed for certain requirements, and it makes no sense because anything from 12-18 credit hours is billed at a flat rate and dropping below 12 credit hours moves you from full-time to part-time status which puts scholarships and financial aid at risk
CalallenStang

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:59 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:Cox, I've already started to indoctrinate my youngest on the details of the pdf linked in the article below. Hopefully it's still in place in 5 years.

Thanks! I'm actually looking for this type of program. Like you said, hope it's around in five years. College has become so expensive. Only issue is that I hate for them to miss out on those important first couple of years on campus.

When you look at the cost of private universities, the in-state tuition at UT and TAMU may be the best deal in the US.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:48 pm

Except if you are a strong enough student to get in UT, you can probably get an equalizing scholarship from SMU. For this same cost I would go with SMU and get a more personalized experience.

A&M has dropped in rankings and is more on par with TCU and Baylor at this point.
gostangs

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:25 pm

gostangs wrote:A&M has dropped in rankings and is more on par with TCU and Baylor at this point.

Plus you have to spend the better part of four years in College Station.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Planter's Punch » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:07 pm

Digetydog wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:

When you look at the cost of private universities, the in-state tuition at UT and TAMU may be the best deal in the US.

You shouldn't look at the sticker price of tuition, but look at the cost after scholarship/financial aid.
Planter's Punch
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop