PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

RGT - the D Magazine interview

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: RGT - the D Magazine interview

Postby AfricanMustang » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:51 pm

tristatecoog wrote:
PonyTime wrote:Now is NOT the time to be getting into the business of Medical Schools. With the government's ambitions to take more control over Health care, there are also ambitions to control who becomes a doctor (some provisions in Obamacare essential lay the framework for more government control over Med Schools). Don't believe me - feel free to look it up - page 6,342 of the 6,500 page document that nobody bothered to read.

A lot of parents are telling their kids (specifically doctors who are parents), are telling their kids to NOT go to Med School.

And no, I am not a Ted Cruz supporter.

It seems like a lot of kids aren't listening to their parents. Med School applications were flat during the recession but have grown at a 4% CAGR since 2010. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) became law on March 23, 2010.

Actually more medical schools are opening, medical school applications and enrollment are soaring to historical elevels.

Medical School Applications, Enrollment Rise to Records - October 24, 2013
A record number of students applied and enrolled in U.S. medical school this year, bucking predictions that President Barack Obama’s health-care system overhaul would dissuade people from becoming doctors.

Total medical school applications increased 6.1 percent to more than 48,000, breaking a record set in 1996, according to data released today by the Association of American Medical Colleges. The number of students who enrolled this year rose 2.8 percent, exceeding 20,000 for the first time, the group said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... to-records

U.S. Medical School Enrollment Soars - April 30, 2015

Enrollment in U.S. medical schools is on track to jump by 30% within five years after universities opened more programs and made other changes, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges.

The association, which represents all 141 accredited U.S. medical schools and nearly 400 teaching hospitals, said first-year medical school enrollment will reach 21,304 in the 2019-20 school year. It’s just 130 positions short of a goal the association, known as the AAMC, called for in 2006 as one of the nation’s leading advocates to address a doctor shortage

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen ... e491115b00

Is Texas building too many medical schools? - January 16, 2016

That investment is worth it in a state with a severe doctor shortage, said Maureen Milligan, the hospital group’s president and CEO. Texas currently lags in its relative number of physicians — 41st among all states, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges — and the state will need more doctors to keep pace with population growth and the turnover that comes with an aging workforce.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/te ... /78919326/
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: RGT - the D Magazine interview

Postby smustatesman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:11 pm

If we would receive regulatory hassles from the State of Texas...... With the strength of the $, and our university's world wide connections; I would think that we should either acquire or start a foreign based Hospital/Med School. Why not in Shanghai and/or Havana ?
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop