PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Band Question

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Band Question

Postby Digetydog » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:34 am

In a discussion with a friend who interviews prospective students for an Ivy League school, he mentioned that their Band/Orchestra directors often contacted the admissions department on behalf of prospective students. While they couldn’t get the “village idiot” into the school, he claimed that their recommendation could be critical. “If the orchestra really needs a French Horn player, an academically competitive student who meets that need is likely to get in.”

Curious: While I know that Meadows recruits performers, does the SMU Band recruit and/or have any input on admissions?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: SMU Band Question

Postby b_caesar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:12 pm

Good question - not aware as to whether any active recruiting goes on or if they have, or even attempt to exercise, any influence over admission decisions.

Here's a link to the SMU Band website I found that references requirements for admission, membership, etc. along with scholarship opportunities.

http://people.smu.edu/band/general_info.html
Don't worry. Be Happy. Or not.
b_caesar
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:22 pm

It's happened before but don't get the impression that SMU puts recruiting to bands talent anywhere on their agenda
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony147 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:42 pm

May have happened once or twice for a reallllllllly good twirler on the wait-list...
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:52 pm

Gotta love a good twirler :wink:
Bergermeister

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:03 pm

I don't believe the band has or ever had any pull with admissions, except as mentioned possibly for the doll.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:09 pm

Is the Ivy recruiting for its orchestra and music school or just for a position in the marching band?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:57 am

I was recruited my freshman year to play cello in the orchestra but I never heard of anyone being recruited out of high school for a band position. Statler?
smusic 00

Postby mrydel » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:13 am

But there is always room for cello.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby masterbeater » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:32 pm

The Mustang Band works with the admissions department to recruit students to the band who have already been admitted to school and were in high school band. Don't know if they ever try to influence getting a prospective player into school, though. Finding money for scholarships is always a big issue.

Back when Ira Terrell was in school his brother Michael was in the band. I think that there might have been a tie in as part of Ira's recruitment to SMU.
masterbeater
Scout Team

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:51 pm

mrydel wrote:But there is always room for cello.

More cowbell!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Digetydog » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:38 am

tristatecoog wrote:Is the Ivy recruiting for its orchestra and music school or just for a position in the marching band?

From the band's perspective, I interpreted his comments to mean that a "competitive candidate" who played in the band would have a better chance of getting admitted. Non-competitive candidates are not getting admitted.

BTW - It is amazing to me how competitive Ivy League admissions has become. With his GPA, SAT scores, and extracurricular activities, he should not have to worry.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:31 pm

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2013/03/college-admits-2029-5-8-percent-of-applicants/

If it's Ivy or bust, go for Cornell or Penn (non-Wharton). Otherwise, visit Dartmouth and give that a whirl. I heard of someone that was #1 in a big suburban Dallas school with high SATs go to Dartmouth. The candidate didn't have a ton of great leadership, which is highly important at the best of the best and for SMU President's Endowed leadership scholarships, but is going Big Green. Gotta have stats too.

Regarding test scores, 2,029 were admitted to Harvard's 2014 entering class. More than 14,400 in the applicant pool scored 700 or above on the SAT critical reading test; 17,400 scored 700 or above on the SAT math test; 14,900 scored 700 or higher on the SAT writing test; and 3,400 were ranked first in their high school classes.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Return to Around the Hilltop