PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UIL investigating SA John Jay players for targeting referee

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UIL investigating SA John Jay players for targeting referee

Postby austinponie » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:23 pm

A little off-topic, but here's the link to the video.
Obvious what their intentions were -2 Jay players were previously ejected on earlier play.
Interesting escalation...

http://m.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_s ... 487775.php
austinponie
All-American

Re: UIL investigating SA John Jay players for targeting refe

Postby Arkpony » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:59 pm

Has Baylor offered them?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:08 pm

austinponie wrote:A little off-topic, but here's the link to the video.
Obvious what their intentions were -2 Jay players were previously ejected on earlier play.
Interesting escalation...

http://m.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_s ... 487775.php

I am surprised that the police aren't involved yet.

If they were my players, they would be suspended until forever.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:13 pm

The cops are involved now. Announced today they're investigating.
skyscraper

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:20 pm

Devils advocate, but maybe the ref had it coming in some ways? Not that the kids hitting him was a good response but perhaps he had made some entirely inappropriate comment or something and the kids were acting out? Just a thought, haven't read much more than the average sports fan

The only reason I mention that is because it would seem on the surface that a kid would have to be pushed over the edge to do that. I'm not an older guy, but I've never heard of this happening anywhere or during any era. Refs make bad and unfair calls on a weekly basis in every sport ..it would seem these would need to be more escalated circumstances to warrant an assault like that
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:49 pm

I would like for those that keep saying maybe the ref had it coming would give me an example of anything he could have said or done to incite a coordinated "hit" such as that. One or 2 of the kids teammates had previously been ejected for some reason, I guess that could be a reason for blatant assault. (Sarcasm)

And before anyone says innocent until proven guilty, that is only in the courtroom. If it were not there would be no need for bail. These two should be arrested now.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:59 pm

mrydel wrote:I would like for those that keep saying maybe the ref had it coming would give me an example of anything he could have said or done to incite a coordinated "hit" such as that. One or 2 of the kids teammates had previously been ejected for some reason, I guess that could be a reason for blatant assault. (Sarcasm)

And before anyone says innocent until proven guilty, that is only in the courtroom. If it were not there would be no need for bail. These two should be arrested now.

Only thing I could come up with is if ref was their coach in peewee and molested them
RGV Pony

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:01 pm

I could excuse that but it would still be an act for which they should be arrested.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:02 pm

When I first saw it-I played it over 3 times to check to see if the first guy could have been keying on some development in the play and simply didn't see official was in his way and the second guy just reacted by hitting the same guy. But no-its impossible-there is no explanation or excuse. It was a premeditated assault
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Digetydog » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:15 pm

There is nothing football related that could justify that kind of attack.

Of the top of my head: reasons
1) RGV's example, but why did they wait until so late in the game?
2) the ref was screaming racial slurs at them. Unlikely.
3) they are knuckleheads with anger issues and or impulse control. #wehaveawinner
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:23 pm

Digetydog wrote:
2) the ref was screaming racial slurs at them. Unlikely.

Agree, probably not especially when the player that hit him first was white and the ref was white.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:29 pm

Officials do need to be held accountable for their decisions, but this isn't the best way to go about it.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm

It's a damn game. Nothing excuses this behavior- not missed calls or something rude being said. These kids are going to jail.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:58 pm

mrydel wrote:I would like for those that keep saying maybe the ref had it coming would give me an example of anything he could have said or done to incite a coordinated "hit" such as that. One or 2 of the kids teammates had previously been ejected for some reason, I guess that could be a reason for blatant assault. (Sarcasm)

1.race
2.jokes about socioeconomic upbringing
3.made some unprofessional remark about the kids team losing

And I'm confused by your use of the sarcasm font (damn impersonal communication). Are you doubting the other players being ejected as a reason they attacked the ref or are you neglecting to consider it because it doesn't align with rational decision making? These are 16-18 year old kids we are talking about, after all. Maybe they felt that ejection was unfair and led to them losing? Pretty plausible to me.

By saying that he 'had it coming' the implication is not necessarily that he was at fault but that they didn't just sit back there and pull the idea out of their asses to blatantly assault a ref in a game.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:05 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:

1.race
2.jokes about socioeconomic upbringing
3.made some unprofessional remark about the kids team losing

And I'm confused by your use of the sarcasm font (damn impersonal communication). Are you doubting the other players being ejected as a reason they attacked the ref or are you neglecting to consider it because it doesn't align with rational decision making? These are 16-18 year old kids we are talking about, after all. Maybe they felt that ejection was unfair and led to them losing? Pretty plausible to me.

By saying that he 'had it coming' the implication is not necessarily that he was at fault but that they didn't just sit back there and pull the idea out of their asses to blatantly assault a ref in a game.

Do you support cop killers too?
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop