PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Provost

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Provost

Postby NewAgeMustange » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:48 am

all, I saw in the DailyCampus that David Chard is the first candidate for the Provost position. What do "we" think of him?
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Re: New Provost

Postby Digetydog » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:05 am

I have never really understood what the "Provost" does. ???
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Planter's Punch » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:34 am

From looking online:
The modern university provost is the university’s chief academic officer and under the president is responsible for the creation and implementation of the academic priorities for the university and for the allocation of resources that will support those priorities. The provost works closely with the academic deans, department heads, student services professionals, faculty and staff to provide the highest possible quality of educational programs, both within and outside the classroom, for undergraduate and graduate students. An important part of the provost’s job is also to ensure that we recruit, retain, encourage and support an outstanding and diverse faculty; each of whom will make positive contributions to the university and to their discipline in the areas of teaching, scholarship and service.

Chard has done from what I can tell a great job of growing the Education School (which contains the APSM major), and the school becoming more engaged locally and nationally. I wonder why he would leave that position, given that there is most likely still even more growth to be had with Annete Simmons as a key donor.
Planter's Punch
All-American

New Provost

Postby PonySnob » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:00 pm

Athlete "friendly"?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:51 pm

All I care about is sports.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Planter's Punch wrote:From looking online:
The modern university provost is the university’s chief academic officer and under the president is responsible for the creation and implementation of the academic priorities for the university and for the allocation of resources that will support those priorities. The provost works closely with the academic deans, department heads, student services professionals, faculty and staff to provide the highest possible quality of educational programs, both within and outside the classroom, for undergraduate and graduate students. An important part of the provost’s job is also to ensure that we recruit, retain, encourage and support an outstanding and diverse faculty; each of whom will make positive contributions to the university and to their discipline in the areas of teaching, scholarship and service.

Chard has done from what I can tell a great job of growing the Education School (which contains the APSM major), and the school becoming more engaged locally and nationally. I wonder why he would leave that position, given that there is most likely still even more growth to be had with Annete Simmons as a key donor.

Provost is a promotion from Dean
CalallenStang

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:12 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:All I care about is sports.

Just win, baby!
smusic 00

Postby Stallion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Provost its the next step up for appeals from the Faculty Athletic Committee and then Turner can overturn their decision. I thought it funny the NCAA Report noted that he overruled Faculty Committee on Frazier's admission as an "extraordinary exception" for the "broader interests of the university".
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby NewAgeMustange » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:23 am

NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby fifty » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:09 pm

Is it too much to ask to get someone who played high school football?
fifty
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:50 pm

WVU?? Really? There are no similarities between SMU and WVU

Can we not get a Provost who is from a peer - and just overpay for them? Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, USC. Great academic schools in big cities with full offering of sports and other campus life issues that are similar to ours.

A bad state school does not seem to be a proving ground for what we need, but i guess we did get Turner from Ol Miss.
gostangs

Postby redpony » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:07 pm

gostangs wrote:
A bad state school does not seem to be a proving ground for what we need, but i guess we did get Turner from Ol Miss.

And we are seeing how that turned out in supporting our sports teams.
redpony

Postby friarwolf » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:40 am

CalallenStang wrote:
Planter's Punch wrote:From looking online:

Provost is a promotion from Dean

It would also position him for a run at the president's job when Turner takes it to the house......
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:31 am

The woman with an undergrad in the UK and Canada is likely to be as clueless about the benefits of sports to the student population as Turner.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:50 pm

I seem to recall it was Turner who, shortly after his arrival at SMU, made it a priority to fund a new on-campus football stadium and to create a tailgating atmosphere that would rival the Grove at Ole Miss. That remains a major accomplishment and suggests RGT was fully aware of the importance of athletics although perhaps it was our alumni he had in mind, more so than current students
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop