PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Provost

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New Provost

Postby couch 'em » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I seem to recall it was Turner who, shortly after his arrival at SMU, made it a priority to fund a new on-campus football stadium and to create a tailgating atmosphere that would rival the Grove at Ole Miss. That remains a major accomplishment and suggests RGT was fully aware of the importance of athletics although perhaps it was our alumni he had in mind, more so than current students

Yet he didn't seem to care about actually being competitive between 1995 and 2010 or so
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NewAgeMustange » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:57 am

also, does the Grove have "hours" for student organizations? I was always under the impression that was pretty much from the night before and all through the day, not any 3 hour student limit.
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby RebStang » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:47 pm

NewAgeMustange wrote:also, does the Grove have "hours" for student organizations? I was always under the impression that was pretty much from the night before and all through the day, not any 3 hour student limit.

Yes, there are "hours" this season. They are requiring that everyone clear out of the Grove by certain times this year. It really only matters after early games (for 11AM games, I think the GTFO time is around 6PM), though - later games have never been an issue with people staying too late.

On Fridays before games, the policy seems to change every year. Some years they allow people to start saving spots on Friday morning but some years they'll kick people out that are obviously saving spots before the "official" set up time.

Thing to remember is that, other than a few university affiliate spots, there are zero reserved spots in the Grove. Nobody that sets up there pays a penny to do so and, other than a sort of honor system, no spots are reserved for any group.
RebStang
All-American

Postby RebStang » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:55 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I seem to recall it was Turner who, shortly after his arrival at SMU, made it a priority to fund a new on-campus football stadium and to create a tailgating atmosphere that would rival the Grove at Ole Miss. That remains a major accomplishment and suggests RGT was fully aware of the importance of athletics although perhaps it was our alumni he had in mind, more so than current students

I love the Boulevard but the only place it will ever rival the Grove is in RGT's wettest of wet dreams. In some ways that's a good thing, though - The Grove has gotten so overcrowded in the past 10 years that I don't even bother going over to the Grove from the Circle (a sort of "mini" Grove that is surrounded by the original buildings on campus... where my family's spot has been for almost 40 years) for any reason anymore - you almost can't find anyone in the Grove unless you know exactly where their spot is each week.
RebStang
All-American

Postby alyssa » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:29 pm

We need some much better candidates. I vote no on these two.
alyssa
All-American

Postby gostangs » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:15 pm

Hopefully there are others. These are underwhelming. Chard is fine, but not the graviitos required for the university we are trying to become.
gostangs

Postby 78pony » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:54 pm

All that matters is that he will be an RGT yes man or caddy (see a certain university VP).
78pony
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:40 pm

couch 'em wrote:

Yet he didn't seem to care about actually being competitive between 1995 and 2010 or so

RGT, like almost every other university president in America, does what the big money donors want. No one was putting up big $$ for a football coach until the CoC came along
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby PonySnob » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:59 am

78pony wrote:All that matters is that he will be an RGT yes man or caddy (see a certain university VP).

Are you referring to Brad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby couch 'em » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:24 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
couch 'em wrote:

RGT, like almost every other university president in America, does what the big money donors want. No one was putting up big $$ for a football coach until the CoC came along

It doesn't cost money to do many of the things needed to compete, like remove the restrictions to recruiting in place until June. This could have made our cheap coaches more in line with other cheap coaches unsupported programs instead of bottom-10 embarassing
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby NewAgeMustange » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:31 pm

http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/smu- ... andidate-3

3rd candidate is announced. Unsure about this one,
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:39 pm

Hard to say if he would be very "athletic friendly" looking at the schools he's been associated with - even with the degree from Baylor.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby NewAgeMustange » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:46 pm

NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby fifty » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:16 pm

Is it me being ignorant or is this trickling of candidate announcements weird? Is this a freakin gameshow or is this normal process?
fifty
Heisman

Postby Planter's Punch » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:06 pm

NewAgeMustange wrote:http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/smu-announces-j-murray-gibson-as-fourth-provost-candidate

From when he became dean at Northeastern https://www.northeastern.edu/news/stori ... yDean.html
Also Northeaster is a school that successfully "gamed" the USNews rankings http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/arti ... -rankings/
Planter's Punch
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop