PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PhD programs at Cox

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

PhD programs at Cox

Postby RebStang » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:37 pm

Does anyone know if Cox has any PhD or DBA programs? I'm looking on the Cox website and don't see any mention of PhD or Doctoral level programs in any discipline.
RebStang
All-American

Re: PhD programs at Cox

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:48 pm

No. I think the only PhDs at SMU are in dedman, science, and engineering. And theology.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby rodrod5 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:32 pm

it is not uncommon that even well respected colleges or schools of business do not offer PhD programs

MBAs are considered "terminal degrees" like an MFA can be and many places will have faculty with an MBA especially if they have a lot of real world experience

the reason most places do not offer PhDs in business or only offer limited ones is because some places will have a number of MBAs on staff and thus they will not be able to be a PhD committee member and because generally you are going to be researching something more fundamental than "accounting" it will be more of a math or statistics PhD with a business focus or "marketing or advertising" it will have some type of psychology behind it or some type of "decision science" or data mining these days.....so you need to have strong PhD granting programs in those areas as well to collaborate

something like BCIS well again you might as well get a PhD in CS or Math.....Economics is one of the few areas that is (sometimes) in a school or college of business that you will have a PhD that is not cross discipline in nature almost by default (though it can be)

generally to support "a contribution to the discipline" in a field of business one will need a lot of supporting information from other areas besides "business fields"

lastly since MBAs are not research degrees (that would be a MS) and most masters candidates get an MBA and take classes that are applied in nature Vs research in nature and they do not necessarily take "research methods" or "research stats" type classes that limits the pool of ready made potential PhD candidates
rodrod5
Junior Varsity

Postby RebStang » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at some PhD programs in finance right now mostly as a backup plan... sadly, I got the dreaded "You're too 'experienced' for investment banking" rejection from Deutsche Bank earlier this week and have been thinking about some other ways to pursue my interest in capital markets. It's stupid for someone with a lot of work experience but getting that rejection so quickly makes me start to wonder whether industry is even the right route for me.
RebStang
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:05 am

RebStang wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at some PhD programs in finance right now mostly as a backup plan... sadly, I got the dreaded "You're too 'experienced' for investment banking" rejection from Deutsche Bank earlier this week and have been thinking about some other ways to pursue my interest in capital markets. It's stupid for someone with a lot of work experience but getting that rejection so quickly makes me start to wonder whether industry is even the right route for me.

Honestly, I don't think a PHD in Finance is really going to help you achieve your goal. All the Finance Phd students at my B-school were looking to get into teaching positions.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RebStang » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:17 am

Digetydog wrote:
RebStang wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at some PhD programs in finance right now mostly as a backup plan... sadly, I got the dreaded "You're too 'experienced' for investment banking" rejection from Deutsche Bank earlier this week and have been thinking about some other ways to pursue my interest in capital markets. It's stupid for someone with a lot of work experience but getting that rejection so quickly makes me start to wonder whether industry is even the right route for me.

Honestly, I don't think a PHD in Finance is really going to help you achieve your goal. All the Finance Phd students at my B-school were looking to get into teaching positions.

Actually, it would be more of a goal of teaching, research, and potential consulting opportunities. Every professor in my program makes their "real" money doing consulting and the teaching side is for the benefits and opportunity to spend most of their days honing their research (which makes their consulting business even more desirable).

It's not ideal and certainly isn't the goal... just a little discouraged after realizing that, in reality, I'm probably destined for a credit analyst job at a [deleted] regional bank than anything with real potential.
RebStang
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:45 am

RebStang wrote:
Digetydog wrote:

Actually, it would be more of a goal of teaching, research, and potential consulting opportunities. Every professor in my program makes their "real" money doing consulting and the teaching side is for the benefits and opportunity to spend most of their days honing their research (which makes their consulting business even more desirable).

It's not ideal and certainly isn't the goal... just a little discouraged after realizing that, in reality, I'm probably destined for a credit analyst job at a [deleted] regional bank than anything with real potential.

If research and teaching are a legitimate interest, a PHD might be a good choice.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:44 pm

A friend was an asst professor of marketing at UTD and made about $170K. Not bad at all for a prof w/o tenure. B-schools have to pay professors quite a bit.

Like rodrod said, many of the teachers do not have terminal degrees. However, that's largely due to the growing use of lecturers to save money. I believe lecturers make money by the course. UTD paid another friend of mine $6K for teaching a masters in finance course. See the big difference!

If you want to be a tenure track professor, you need a PhD from the best place possible. Do you really have the passion to do groundbreaking research for a doctoral thesis and then follow that up with six years more to get tenure?

It's also highly competitive to get a PhD spot because I believe those tend to come with no tuition cost and a smallish stipend. [high grades/high GRE?] On a positive note, many universities are actively recruiting domestic students to enroll in their PhD programs. With a name like "RebStang," I presume you're not an international student. :-)

UH info as a benchmark:
What is the usual profile of an admitted Ph.D. applicant?
Ph.D. applicants are admitted on the basis of past academic performance. Applicants usually have demonstrated very good quantitative skills. During the past three years, the average admitted student to the Department of Finance at the Bauer College of Business had a GMAT score of 698 (lowest score 640, highest score 760), with a 3.74 GPA. The average admitted student had a quantitative GMAT/GRE score of 95% (lowest score 87%, highest score 99%). Also, the average admitted student had a graduate degree. [70 applicants for 3-4 spots.]
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Return to Around the Hilltop