PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Missouri

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Missouri

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:48 pm

What do you all think about what is going on there? Do you think that the players will actually 'strike' in their next game against BYU? Or will the president resign?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Missouri

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:50 pm

I think my they are doing their best to assure bowl eligibility for Arkansas
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:51 pm

President has issued a statement saying that he will not resign. Lots of things have happened that have led up to this non violent protest. Here is a timeline.

https://t.co/uLQxbki5VU

And it is more than just about the president of the schools they have other things they are asking for in their letter.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:12 pm

Has something like this ever happened before, where a team or portion of a team threatened not to play a game to get their way?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:15 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Has something like this ever happened before, where a team or portion of a team threatened not to play a game to get their way?

I think it is more a form of legal non violent protest. Some are going on hunger strikes. Did you read the timeline events? NFL strike, NFL lockout by the owners, trash workers strike in Memphis in the 60's, NBA strike and NBA owners lockout to name a few.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:29 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Has something like this ever happened before, where a team or portion of a team threatened not to play a game to get their way?

I think the Grambling team threatened a strike when Doug Williams was fired as their coach. Can't remember the details or whether they actually followed through
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:33 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

I think the Grambling team threatened a strike when Doug Williams was fired as their coach. Can't remember the details or whether they actually followed through

I think that was when they had the poor facility and living condition issues not when Williams was released.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby footballdad » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Terry Webster wrote:What do you all think about what is going on there? Do you think that the players will actually 'strike' in their next game against BYU? Or will the president resign?

President says he won't resign. This is a group of 32 football players who are members of the University's Legion of Black Collegians. Should still be able to field a team whether this group strikes or not. Haven't seen anywhere that it's the entire team.

Next man up.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:26 pm

Will be interesting. Not sure why they think the president who worked his entire life to achieve that roll, should resign because others are racist.

These causes would make more sense if the organizers had some sense. These athletes are about to forego their free education over an unrealistic demand, a demand which if granted would still make absolutely no difference to the issue they are concerned about.
gostangs

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:31 pm

footballdad wrote:
Terry Webster wrote:What do you all think about what is going on there? Do you think that the players will actually 'strike' in their next game against BYU? Or will the president resign?

President says he won't resign. This is a group of 32 football players who are members of the University's Legion of Black Collegians. Should still be able to field a team whether this group strikes or not. Haven't seen anywhere that it's the entire team.

Next man up.

According to this picture it is more than those 32 student athletes and Coach Pinkel supports them.

Coach Gary Pinkel
✔
@GaryPinkel

The Mizzou Family stands as one. We are united. We are behind our players. #ConcernedStudent1950 GP
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:33 pm

SEC commissioner respects them as well.

"I have been in touch with University of Missouri athletics officials today and will remain in communication as necessary. I respect Missouri student-athletes for engaging on issues of importance and am hopeful the concerns at the center of this matter will be resolved in a positive matter."
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:35 pm

What does the school do if the players follow through on their threat? Revoke scholarships?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:42 pm

Terry Webster wrote:What does the school do if the players follow through on their threat? Revoke scholarships?

Don't think Pinkel would support the players then revoke their scholarships especially since he recruits a lot of African American players. Now I don't expect the African American players nor students to get hardly any support from SMU posters but it looks like it is more than one event that lead up to this. Players probably feel this is a lot bigger than football.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:44 pm

I remember about 20 years ago UCI students (maybe 7 hispanics?) went on a hunger strike related to the schools' affirmative action policies. This story made national news.

What was so absolutely crazy was that anyone who ever visited the UCI campus understood real quickly is was one of the most ethnically diverse schools in California, which meant of course it was one of the most diverse in the world. Never heard / read ANY stories at the time that stated this obvious fact.

Don't know the specifics of the Missouri case and if the claims rise to the level of removing the President, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:08 pm

Probably didn't help when the president's car hit a student that was a demonstrator recently.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop