PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Missouri

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Missouri

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:20 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Probably didn't help when the president's car hit a student that was a demonstrator recently.

I hope we can all agree that's not grounds for dismissal.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:25 pm

Apparently this has been brewing for a while. Looks like some white students are supporting them as well.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/ ... fa.html#q1
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby footballdad » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Probably didn't help when the president's car hit a student that was a demonstrator recently.

Pinkels tweet, which included your photo above, of course says that he and the rest of the players are 'behind' these 32 other players. That doesn't mean they are part of the protest or prepared to sit out like these 32.

I'll guess we'll find out tomorrow when the real preparation begins for this week's game. It's easy to say there will be no football practice or formal team activities, when it's Sunday!
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:29 pm

At least they all probably have strong academic backgrounds to fall back upon.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:32 pm

"After meeting with the team this morning, it is clear they do not plan to return to practice until Jonathan resumes eating," Pinkel said in the statement.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby footballdad » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:40 pm

Rebel10 wrote:"After meeting with the team this morning, it is clear they do not plan to return to practice until Jonathan resumes eating," Pinkel said in the statement.

They? The 32 football members of the Legion of Black Collegians, or Pinkel and his entire team?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Planter's Punch » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:05 pm

Good for the students to stand up for their beliefs. I wonder how the NCAA feels about student athletes becoming organized, especially if it results in real change.
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:19 pm

It used to be that kids in college wanted to be doctors, lawyers, or CEOs. Now everyone wants to be a victim. Some idiots called someone a racial slur and another idiot drew a swastika with poop, so the university president has to resign? Huh? What's he supposed to do? He can't police the entire university community 24/7. That seems wildly disproportionate, and I'm being generous

I also read that the Mizzou athletic department was concerned about the safety of the student on a hunger strike- WTF? If he's attempting suicide we should just force feed him through a tube like someone with a mental illness.

Also- ZERO percent chance the Mizzou players do this if they're still in contention for the SEC East
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby MustangStealth » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:19 pm

Rebel10 wrote:President has issued a statement saying that he will not resign. Lots of things have happened that have led up to this non violent protest. Here is a timeline.

https://t.co/uLQxbki5VU

And it is more than just about the president of the schools they have other things they are asking for in their letter.

That doesn't really go into specifics of what the "institutional racism" claims are other than a statue of Thomas Jefferson and some drunk guy yelling racial slurs. Now if the drunk guy was the university president,...
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:20 pm

Rebel10 wrote:"After meeting with the team this morning, it is clear they do not plan to return to practice until Jonathan resumes eating," Pinkel said in the statement.

They just need to roll down to Gates BBQ in Kansas city and he will start eating quick. Mmmmm mmmmmm
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:29 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:It used to be that kids in college wanted to be doctors, lawyers, or CEOs. Now everyone wants to be a victim. Some idiots called someone a racial slur and another idiot drew a swastika with poop, so the university president has to resign? Huh? What's he supposed to do? He can't police the entire university community 24/7. That seems wildly disproportionate, and I'm being generous

I also read that the Mizzou athletic department was concerned about the safety of the student on a hunger strike- WTF? If he's attempting suicide we should just force feed him through a tube like someone with a mental illness.

Also- ZERO percent chance the Mizzou players do this if they're still in contention for the SEC East

They have also meet with the president in the past and he has not even acknowledged that there is an issue and has been callous. He did not respond like RGT did to those types of issues. Only after the hunger strike did he issue an apology for hitting a student.

"I regret my reaction at the MU Homecoming Parade when the Concerned Student 1950 group approached my car. I am sorry, and my apology is long overdue," according to the statement.

"My behavior seemed like I did not care. That was not my intention. I was caught off guard in that moment. Nonetheless, had I gotten out of the car to acknowledge the students and talk with them perhaps we wouldn't be where we are today."

Truth is he my actually not care as many of us probably know people that are covertly racist. Seems like they are just trying to take a stand to help those coming after them. Haven't seem that is a while.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ponyscott » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:34 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:It used to be that kids in college wanted to be doctors, lawyers, or CEOs. Now everyone wants to be a victim. Some idiots called someone a racial slur and another idiot drew a swastika with poop, so the university president has to resign? Huh? What's he supposed to do? He can't police the entire university community 24/7. That seems wildly disproportionate, and I'm being generous

Exactly!!! You hit it correctly. The president didn't react like he should have, but is not grounds for dismissal...he wasn't driving the car either. I am sick of protesters interfering with drivers/worksers trying trying to get on down the road.
ponyscott

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:43 pm

ponyscott wrote:

Exactly!!! You hit it correctly. The president didn't react like he should have, but is not grounds for dismissal...he wasn't driving the car either. I am sick of protesters interfering with drivers/worksers trying trying to get on down the road.

Since you were not there how do you know he was interfering with him getting down the road, that is not what the article said. So that gives him the right to hit the student with the car? It was more that just one issue that the president has not responded to over a period of time. I think before we totally judge these students we need to get all the facts.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby couch 'em » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:44 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Truth is he my actually not care as many of us probably know people that are covertly racist. Seems like they are just trying to take a stand to help those coming after them. Haven't seem that is a while.

You know, he could be dismissive or not supportive of them and NOT be a covert racist.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby ponyscott » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
ponyscott wrote:

Since you were not there how do you know he was interfering with him getting down the road, that is not what the article said. So that gives him the right to hit the student with the car? It was more that just one issue that the president has not responded to over a period of time. I think before we totally judge these students we need to get all the facts.

Read more than one article son. I read 5 or 6 articles....there's more to the story...as always.
Last edited by ponyscott on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponyscott

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop