PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Missouri

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Missouri

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:05 am

Puckhead48E wrote:Yeah. I am sure they have a grievance and I'm sure they are passionate. I'm also sure this is a convenient season for them...their losing football team is all over this but not a peep from basketball. The basketball team is currently atrocious so they shouldn't have anything to lose...but nothing.

The school has issues...several of which revolve around very public incidents. That being said, cool heads need to work for improvement in a way that reinforces that growth. By attaching random requirements filled with key phrases pulled from soundbites heard in the background of some live news shot or shouted by instigators, you weaken your chances for real change and indicate you are in it for the wrong reasons or have absolutely no clue what you are doing. Seriously, some of those demands read like the ransom list from Airheads...wondering when the naked photo of Bea Arthur is added to the list.

Did you consider that the basketball team may not have any members of that organization on the team or are you just assuming that just because they have blacks on the basketball team they do?
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:06 am

Rebel10 wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:Yeah. I am sure they have a grievance and I'm sure they are passionate. I'm also sure this is a convenient season for them...their losing football team is all over this but not a peep from basketball. The basketball team is currently atrocious so they shouldn't have anything to lose...but nothing.

The school has issues...several of which revolve around very public incidents. That being said, cool heads need to work for improvement in a way that reinforces that growth. By attaching random requirements filled with key phrases pulled from soundbites heard in the background of some live news shot or shouted by instigators, you weaken your chances for real change and indicate you are in it for the wrong reasons or have absolutely no clue what you are doing. Seriously, some of those demands read like the ransom list from Airheads...wondering when the naked photo of Bea Arthur is added to the list.

Did you consider that the basketball team may not have any members of that organization on the team or are you just assuming that just because they have blacks on the basketball team they do?

Why are you assuming that their basketball team has black players on it?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby skyscraper » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:08 am

I know enough to know I don't know enough about this situation. But I do find it interesting to see a large group of college athletes realizing what a large platform they have and using it to promote this issue. Unprecedented to me, unless I'm forgetting something else like this before.
skyscraper

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:08 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

Why are you assuming that their basketball team has black players on it?

Look for yourself. I am not assuming anything.

http://mutigers.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:12 am

This thread will be moved in 3..2..1..
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:19 am

Yeah, if you actually looked at the original post/release by the football players, it might clear a few things up. It started with the phrase "athletes of color" which sort of narrows it down. They never claimed that they were taking this stand as members of the specific organization, nor stated that they were all members...so why do you assume?
I never denigrated their stand...just asked why it was them and not other big pub athletes. Likewise, I asked whether they were receiving assistance or direction because some of their demands indicate it may be a bunch of college students fueled on emotion. That isn't the worst thing, but it also often involves more outlandish issues.

Hope they reach some place and results that are palpable and engender system change that seems to be necessary. I also hope enough cleansing light is cast on the situation to both eliminate university based incidents and also help continue to mold these and others involved into the adults they can become. If not, we get the crazies at Yale screaming at teachers because one of the professors wrote an op-ed suggesting halloween costumes can be insensitive but that doesn't mean you start banning everything that you dislike.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:31 am

Puckhead48E wrote:Yeah, if you actually looked at the original post/release by the football players, it might clear a few things up. It started with the phrase "athletes of color" which sort of narrows it down. They never claimed that they were taking this stand as members of the specific organization, nor stated that they were all members...so why do you assume?
I never denigrated their stand...just asked why it was them and not other big pub athletes. Likewise, I asked whether they were receiving assistance or direction because some of their demands indicate it may be a bunch of college students fueled on emotion. That isn't the worst thing, but it also often involves more outlandish issues.

Hope they reach some place and results that are palpable and engender system change that seems to be necessary. I also hope enough cleansing light is cast on the situation to both eliminate university based incidents and also help continue to mold these and others involved into the adults they can become. If not, we get the crazies at Yale screaming at teachers because one of the professors wrote an op-ed suggesting halloween costumes can be insensitive but that doesn't mean you start banning everything that you dislike.

Just saying that as pointed out by someone else that 32 football players who are members of the University's Legion of Black Collegians. There are only 13 scholarship players on the hoops team and not all of the are black. So they may not have any members of that organization on the team.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ebrooks11 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:02 am

Or they don't know if they are going to suck as bad as the football team and don't want to ruin their season before it starts.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:08 am

Have read a few articles and still cant see what occurred that the president could have fixed. A couple of racial incidents (one of which is suspect - a feces swastika?) - something about planned parenthood which is a different topic, and also denying benefits to graduate students (which I would think is not unusual, since they are students and not employees). and oh yeah, the pres didn't get out of his car to address the issue when they were being bullies and blocking his auto. I am missing something here obviously. Sounds like they are just mad he isn't kissing their butts.
gostangs

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:41 am

gostangs wrote:Have read a few articles and still cant see what occurred that the president could have fixed. A couple of racial incidents (one of which is susp. t - a feces swastika?) - something about planned parenthood which is a different topic, and also denying benefits to graduate students (which I would think is not unusual, since they are students and not employees). and oh yeah, the pres didn't get out of his car to address the issue when they were being bullies and blocking his auto. I am missing something here obviously. Sounds like they are just mad he isn't kissing their butts.

From what I have read this has been going on for a couple of years. And probably more to it than what you are reading. I don't know about them being bullies but the driver still should not have struck the student. One thing to be upset because he is not kissing your behind but another thing when he doesn't listen to you at all. And sometimes when you blow someone off for a while things like this tend to happen.

The faculty is standing with the students now.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/missouri-facul ... d=35068809
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ojaipony » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:45 am

Good for the students/student-athletes. The president of the university is supposed to be the head leader. If any of you are in positions of leadership, you know that this is an opportunity for this guy to show what kind of leader he is. If he's forced out or just ignores it generally, that will tell you. If he brings the campus together and diffuses it, while keeping his job and thus improving his reputation, that will also tell you what kind of a leader he is. If you never want the heat, don't become a leader. There are easier ways to live.
ojaipony

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:06 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:We demand that by the academic year 2017-18, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff members campus-wide by 10 percent.

Increase by 10%? If UM is like many schools, that can be achieved through just a few hires!
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:14 am

Interesting conversation with coworker who played in college, had several high-profile friends from home who played pro, and who still has contacts with people who are coaching now. Said this is a common issue that boils just below the surface, more prevalent at midwestern schools than anywhere else. That quote included a few posters prior hit the nail on the head for him...the soft bigotry of diminished expectations. Combine that with what he and his peers view as administrations often viewing the players as employees vice valuable members of the student body and you get situations like this. Of note, he said that while not surprised this is happening at Missouri, he is shocked it hasn't happened yet at Michigan or Michigan State. Says there is a real issue there, but the overall success of the program keeps the players quiet because they are "compensated" much like Hoopmanix recalled VT players are with no actual attendance requirements for classes as well as direct and indirect financial "support."

Interesting take. A good guy to talk about regarding thing like this because he has a vested interest (he is black) and is very pro-student athlete but in a way that would demand more of them academically and more from the schools to prepare the 99% for successful lives after sports. Was a good conversation.

He is also the guy who watched a friend who played in the NFL have a certain SEC school have a body show up to take the SATs because the guy could barely operate at a middle school level. Ahhh, the fun of big time college sports.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:43 am

Puckhead48E wrote:Interesting conversation with coworker who played in college, had several high-profile friends from home who played pro, and who still has contacts with people who are coaching now. Said this is a common issue that boils just below the surface, more prevalent at midwestern schools than anywhere else. That quote included a few posters prior hit the nail on the head for him...the soft bigotry of diminished expectations. Combine that with what he and his peers view as administrations often viewing the players as employees vice valuable members of the student body and you get situations like this. Of note, he said that while not surprised this is happening at Missouri, he is shocked it hasn't happened yet at Michigan or Michigan State. Says there is a real issue there, but the overall success of the program keeps the players quiet because they are "compensated" much like Hoopmanix recalled VT players are with no actual attendance requirements for classes as well as direct and indirect financial "support."

Interesting take. A good guy to talk about regarding thing like this because he has a vested interest (he is black) and is very pro-student athlete but in a way that would demand more of them academically and more from the schools to prepare the 99% for successful lives after sports. Was a good conversation.

He is also the guy who watched a friend who played in the NFL have a certain SEC school have a body show up to take the SATs because the guy could barely operate at a middle school level. Ahhh, the fun of big time college sports.

Had 2 friends play ball at Michigan State and they had to go to class and get their work. Also worked with a guy from that played ball at Minnesota and they had to go to class and get their work. So your friend is not accurate.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:45 am

Terry Webster wrote:What do you all think about what is going on there? Do you think that the players will actually 'strike' in their next game against BYU? Or will the president resign?

The way they play, I thought they had been on strike all season.
Bergermeister

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop