PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UT expanding in Houston

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UT expanding in Houston

Postby Planter's Punch » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:23 pm

Given that there are several UH alumni (any Rice?) that post here I thought it would be interesting to get their take on this move by UT

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/st ... ffe/npLT5/

The University of Texas System’s plan to establish a campus in Houston is prompting questions about the need for such a venture, its cost and the inevitable competition with the University of Houston and other schools for students, faculty and philanthropic dollars.

UT Chancellor Bill McRaven, who came up with the plan, envisions an intellectual hub for education and research capitalizing on the energy, medical and other strengths of the state’s largest city. The system’s Board of Regents has authorized McRaven and his staff to purchase 332 acres of mostly undeveloped land in the southwestern part of the city.
Planter's Punch
All-American

Re: UT expanding in Houston

Postby smupony94 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Terrible move for Houston if it comes to fruition.
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:12 pm

If this is a traditional four year university, like UTSA, it's not good for UH. I'm not sure this is particularly good for the state of TX either. It takes a long time to build up the reputation of a new university and it will drain resources from UH and some from other universities. UT-Dallas has done a fine job of moving up the rankings with a limited focus on science and business. UTSA and UT-A haven't been as successful as broadline universities.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby NewAgeMustange » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:06 pm

ya, but UTD is still a commuter school. I have a feeling that anything they would build in houston would be more of the same.
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:38 pm

smupony94 wrote:Terrible move for Houston if it comes to fruition.

Houston the university or Houston the city?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SMUfrat » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:55 pm

My understanding (live in Houston)

Is this is a 4 year, degree giving university, which will be focused on research, science, and medical. The only thing bad for UH is if they are hindered getting their medical school started. I am all for UH getting a medical school. Hopefully they can still do this and UTH can be the commuter school they are destined to be.

I see it being similar to UTD.
SMUfrat
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:40 pm

UTD has not been great for us either. It definitely siphons off resources. Just because it is commuter oriented doesn't mean it will have no effect. It will be competitive for sure.

I'm surprised really. HTere are limited state funds, and it seems to be there are lots of needs across the system bigger than this one. For example, there really is only one good school in the system (one and a half if you count A&M). i would argue they should be upgrading existing universities before they start redundant ones from scratch.
gostangs

Postby Digetydog » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:26 am

tristatecoog wrote:If this is a traditional four year university, like UTSA, it's not good for UH. I'm not sure this is particularly good for the state of TX either. It takes a long time to build up the reputation of a new university and it will drain resources from UH and some from other universities. UT-Dallas has done a fine job of moving up the rankings with a limited focus on science and business. UTSA and UT-A haven't been as successful as broadline universities.

If the UT system and Houston want a "premier" 4 year state school in the area, UT should annex UH. Building a new school from scratch would be wasteful.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:28 am

SMUfrat wrote:My understanding (live in Houston)

Is this is a 4 year, degree giving university, which will be focused on research, science, and medical. The only thing bad for UH is if they are hindered getting their medical school started. I am all for UH getting a medical school. Hopefully they can still do this and UTH can be the commuter school they are destined to be.

UH doesn't need a medical school There are already three good medical schools in the area. If the state wants to build more state medical schools (probably a good idea), under served areas like Corpus and El Paso should be first on the list.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:45 pm

"I would argue they should be upgrading existing universities before they start redundant ones from scratch." Agreed. Texas is woefully behind California in strength of public U's.

UH's med school, to open in 2019, will focus on primary care vs. a bunch of specialties. The UH prez says primary care is the big need. As Digety said, it also seems like many areas of the state are underserved.

I'm not confident that UT would make UH more premier by annexing. UH's system chancellor is also the UH main campus president. There are other overlapping synergies between the UH and UT system but I don't see a UT-H adding enough prestige or resources. UT-D seems to be successful due to its focus on business and science and a lot of scholarships. Maybe just not having Div. I sports is saving them over $10 million per year.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:56 pm

tristatecoog wrote:UH's med school, to open in 2019, will focus on primary care vs. a bunch of specialties. The UH prez says primary care is the big need. As Digety said, it also seems like many areas of the state are underserved.

Primary care is a big need, the challenge is convincing people to take out hundreds of thousands in student loans for med school to become a primary care doc and make considerably less than doctors who specialize. It's easy to blame it all on Obamacare but primary care docs were getting hit hard by HMOs way before Obamacare was passed - and the AMA is probably the worst professional organization in America at advocacy
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Chnash318 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:36 am

Digetydog wrote:
SMUfrat wrote:My understanding (live in Houston)

UH doesn't need a medical school There are already three good medical schools in the area. If the state wants to build more state medical schools (probably a good idea), under served areas like Corpus and El Paso should be first on the list.

El Paso already has Tech's medical school and I'm pretty sure someone else was building another there
Chnash318
Junior Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:51 am

RGV is in the first year of its med school which isn't corpus but has bigger, poorer undeserved population
RGV Pony

Postby Digetydog » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:02 pm

tristatecoog wrote:"I would argue they should be upgrading existing universities before they start redundant ones from scratch." Agreed. Texas is woefully behind California in strength of public U's.

UH's med school, to open in 2019, will focus on primary care vs. a bunch of specialties. The UH prez says primary care is the big need. As Digety said, it also seems like many areas of the state are underserved.

I'm not confident that UT would make UH more premier by annexing. UH's system chancellor is also the UH main campus president. There are other overlapping synergies between the UH and UT system but I don't see a UT-H adding enough prestige or resources. UT-D seems to be successful due to its focus on business and science and a lot of scholarships. Maybe just not having Div. I sports is saving them over $10 million per year.

#HOGWASH - Any medical student who obtains his degree will be free to apply to any residency he/she wants.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:03 pm

RGV Pony wrote:RGV is in the first year of its med school which isn't corpus but has bigger, poorer undeserved population

???
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop