PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UT expanding in Houston

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UT expanding in Houston

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:33 am

RGV Pony wrote:Maybe the 1919 storm that practically wiped out Corpus played into it?

CC was still larger than Kingsville at the time the school was founded
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:33 am

Digetydog wrote:Given Corpus' long history of F'ing things up, I wouldn't be shocked to find out the city leaders didn't want it.

This definitely wouldn't surprise me.
CalallenStang

Postby rodrod5 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:26 pm

NewAgeMustange wrote:ya, but UTD is still a commuter school. I have a feeling that anything they would build in houston would be more of the same.

in 2014 UTD has 6,154 beds on campus with plans for 600 more to be started in 2015 so that is enough for 27% of their students

Digetydog wrote:
SMUfrat wrote:My understanding (live in Houston)

Is this is a 4 year, degree giving university, which will be focused on research, science, and medical. The only thing bad for UH is if they are hindered getting their medical school started. I am all for UH getting a medical school. Hopefully they can still do this and UTH can be the commuter school they are destined to be.

I see it being similar to UTD.

UH doesn't need a medical school There are already three good medical schools in the area. If the state wants to build more state medical schools (probably a good idea), under served areas like Corpus and El Paso should be first on the list.

El Paso has the 4 year Texas Tech medical school that is now independent of the Lubbock medical school.....that itself is independent of the main university

Digetydog wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:RGV is in the first year of its med school which isn't corpus but has bigger, poorer undeserved population

What makes their population undeserving?

It still kills me that A&I was built in Kingville instead of Corpus.

Corpus has TAMU-CC "The Island University" that should be merged with TAMU Kingsville like the UTB and UT Pan Am were to cut administration cost and duplication of degree offerings
rodrod5
Junior Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:24 pm

rodrod5 wrote:
Corpus has TAMU-CC "The Island University" that should be merged with TAMU Kingsville like the UTB and UT Pan Am were to cut administration cost and duplication of degree offerings

Corpus desperately needs an educated labor force to grow. Because A&I didn't really address that problem, TAMU-CC has been expanded over the years.

100% of my family with college degrees (a) left the area for college and (b) never returned. Generally, my cousins without degrees still live in Corpus.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby rodrod5 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:06 am

Digetydog wrote:
rodrod5 wrote:

Corpus desperately needs an educated labor force to grow. Because A&I didn't really address that problem, TAMU-CC has been expanded over the years.

100% of my family with college degrees (a) left the area for college and (b) never returned. Generally, my cousins without degrees still live in Corpus.

by merged I mean 2 campuses 1 administration just like UTB and UT Pan Am......which will actually be 3 campuses because the RGV medical school will not be on the campus of either of the other two

and UTB is actually getting a new campus as well with their break up from Texas Southmost College
rodrod5
Junior Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:42 pm

Will the student loan bubble ever burst?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

UT expanding in Houston

Postby mrydel » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:15 am

No, because it is backed by tax payer money. It will just morph into another give away.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:00 am

Its kinda cute that UH thinks they can do anything about UT expanding. THey will do it if they want to, and it appears they do indeed want to.
gostangs

Postby gostangs » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:13 pm

no - you can't. They are buying the land and it is a done deal. The squealing is just to act like they tried something since failure is certain. A&M law school was a bad idea because there is no market for more lawyers. This is different. UH can't stop UT from doing anything, basically.
gostangs

Postby PonySnob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:30 pm

Do we really another UTA, UTD, UTSA type school?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby gostangs » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:05 pm

no - but its coming anyway. First 100 acres already owned by UT. Next 200 acres about to be closed. its not needed, but the egos in austin are going to jam it down everyones throats and we all get to pay for it.
gostangs

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:16 am

gostangs wrote:no - you can't. They are buying the land and it is a done deal. The squealing is just to act like they tried something since failure is certain. A&M law school was a bad idea because there is no market for more lawyers. This is different. UH can't stop UT from doing anything, basically.

A&M law school was a bad idea because essentially A&M tried to license its name without controlling the school or even making it a public institution
CalallenStang

Postby smupony94 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:50 am

gostangs wrote:no - but its coming anyway. First 100 acres already owned by UT. Next 200 acres about to be closed. its not needed, but the egos in austin are going to jam it down everyones throats and we all get to pay for it.

The egos belong to the legislators requiring Texas to take the top 10% so you are right about the Austin part
smupony94

Postby Digetydog » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:03 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
gostangs wrote:no - you can't. They are buying the land and it is a done deal. The squealing is just to act like they tried something since failure is certain. A&M law school was a bad idea because there is no market for more lawyers. This is different. UH can't stop UT from doing anything, basically.

A&M law school was a bad idea because essentially A&M tried to license its name without controlling the school or even making it a public institution

As bad an idea as the Aggie law school was, the UNT law school was worse.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:13 pm

Digetydog wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:

As bad an idea as the Aggie law school was, the UNT law school was worse.

Anything related to UNT not involving a flute or crayons is a bad idea.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop