PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UT expanding in Houston

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UT expanding in Houston

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Digetydog wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:
gostangs wrote:no - you can't. They are buying the land and it is a done deal. The squealing is just to act like they tried something since failure is certain. A&M law school was a bad idea because there is no market for more lawyers. This is different. UH can't stop UT from doing anything, basically.

A&M law school was a bad idea because essentially A&M tried to license its name without controlling the school or even making it a public institution

As bad an idea as the Aggie law school was, the UNT law school was worse.

Yes
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:21 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:
Anything related to UNT not involving a flute or crayons is a bad idea.

When the job search process starts, the Aggie Law School students will have a large base of Aggie lawyers to help them get started.

For UNT Law School Grads: Not so much. Although there must be some out there, I have never met a lawyer who graduated from UNT.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:09 am

I'm still stunned NTSU went through with the law school. I get what their angle is, but it almost defies logic at this point to open a law school.
PonyKai

Postby rodrod5 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:46 pm

Digetydog wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:

When the job search process starts, the Aggie Law School students will have a large base of Aggie lawyers to help them get started.

For UNT Law School Grads: Not so much. Although there must be some out there, I have never met a lawyer who graduated from UNT.

there is one guy on the north Texas state forum that went to UH I believe he has even commented what a bad idea the law school is if I recall

Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:I'm still stunned NTSU went through with the law school. I get what their angle is, but it almost defies logic at this point to open a law school.

the north Texas state system has been hijacked by horrid dallas politicians like royse west and wiley price

basically back in the late 1990s royce and fools were looking to steal valuable state higher education dollars for a make work/dallas economic development project in the form of a university campus in south dallas

the UT System laughed and passed on the idea pointing to the fact that at the time UTA was in the midst of a 10 year run of losing a ton of enrollment and UTD was not close to where they wanted it to be

the Texas Tech System said no thanks for the same reasons lack of need

the A&M System eager to get into the dallas metro area proposed an upper division only system center and that it would always stay a system center....there is still a page from the idiot west senate website saying "Aggies in south dallas" and telling the story of the possible system center

that was not enough for the fools in dallas and at the time the north Texas state system consisted of the Denton "flagship" and TCOM that had never wanted to be a part of the north Texas state system and distanced from them at all opportunity

the 20 year do nothing idiot al hurly was the chancellor of the system and the president of the Denton campus and wanted to actually "accomplish something" before he retired and fools and opportunity met in the form of the now long failed north Texas state dallas 4 year community college McDegree factory/make work/dallas failed economic development "engine"

for a time royce was extremely critical of the A&M System and he was the chairman of the senate higher education committee and somewhat critical of the UT System as well because he was mad they had not capitulated to opening a campus there

basically state leaders got together and told him to shut up, mind his own business and take the north Texas state system and abuse it and rape it as he sees fit and as al hurly retired the former county judge idiot lee jackson was hired as the chancellor and it has been a process of stealing resources from Denton and the state ever since
rodrod5
Junior Varsity

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:14 pm

Digetydog wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:

True for the Aggie Law School in Fort Worth. If the Aggie Law School in Houston had gone through as planned, maybe not so much (the plan there was for A&M to license their name to South Texas College of Law which would remain an independent, private institution - it was a dumb plan from the very beginning)
CalallenStang

Postby rodrod5 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:30 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
Digetydog wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:

True for the Aggie Law School in Fort Worth. If the Aggie Law School in Houston had gone through as planned, maybe not so much (the plan there was for A&M to license their name to South Texas College of Law which would remain an independent, private institution - it was a dumb plan from the very beginning)

the plan to start was for A&M and STCL to have a much closer relationship than just a licensing of the name, but that was shot down in court and the legislature at the time was not in the mood to let A&M have a law school especially the way they were going about it

A&M was seeking to have degrees with A&M and the A&M Seal on them which would have been an A&M Law Degree

what A&M did with TWU Law was really no different they still did not get coordinating board approval to offer law degrees and they still did not ask the THECB to allow the purchase

but the truth if the matter is the THECB is a powerless organization if the legislature does not want them to get involved and move to block something or if the legislature approves and funds something then the THECB does not move to block it and or the THECB has no power to stop it and the legislature has spoken so they move on
rodrod5
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop