PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OT: DMN - Black at SMU

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OT: DMN - Black at SMU

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:42 pm

malonish wrote:
mrydel wrote:Am I the only one that recognizes UT and A&M have black athletes also?

Nope, only we do. Checkmate Mrydel.

The issue is if you take the black athletes how does that effect the %. Seems like there is more recruitment of the black athlete than the "regular" black student. You take out the black athletes out of UT and A&M and it does not affect their % as much as SMU. Killen has a very good point.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:44 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:First; love how the rapper from the picture, when interviewed, basically said it was nothing but a picture used to advertise a party and that people should relax.
Second; why no animus regarding Paul Wall giving Herman a grill? Wouldn't petty pandering to a community be worse than the modern equivalent of a toga party?
Third; why are we talking about this here on the football board?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rodrod5 called them morons. At any rate, I realize this is an SMU board so it is what it is.

I don't recall discussing his comments anywhere in my statement. I do recall several taking offense to youthful stupidity personified in the modern version of that horrible hate crime known as a college party. Hopefully ago involved will learn and retain something positive from this.
The organizers should have thought twice before taking a stupid frat party theme and tying it to a worthwhile charity. I hope they also learned that there is a difference between what you can do and how you can do it...just put a freaking picture of Paul Wall on there and swap gangsta for the synonymous term thug and no one would have cared.
I also wish that those offended search their motivation for a the logical conclusion of their feelings. If that picture and the word thug were the triggers that invaded their safe space, why is that so? What about that picture and that word cause such derision? Why is that so? What is the root...and how can they address it? Introspection might motivate towards greater gains.

Or, maybe they just throw an party with plaid shirts only buttoned at the top and khakis and house shoes and offend another group....while those previously offended return home to their Tupac poster, listen to a Bone Thugs album, and disengage from the conversation. At least we would know then that it was all for nothing.

Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:45 pm

mathematically if a high percentage of black students are from athletes that does inflate the percentage of total black students at a small private school in comparison to a large public schools. The numbers suck at all these schools. Athletics is affirmative action in many US colleges-and that's smells bad

The United States Supreme Court is taking up the UT 5th Circuit Abigail Fisher case up for next fall session again. Something in the briefs peaked my interest about whether UT could justify special admissions for minorities based on benefits to the university experience and environment at large. That's what Athletics does-Fine Arts etc. Scalia made comments questioning whether ANY affirmative action is still justified

Wouldn't that be an interesting turn of events if the Supreme Court rules that special admissions of minority students could not be justified if it took the seat of a more deserving students. That would funny as hell to watch the chaos unfold. What if the Court ruled that Kevin Durant took Abigail Fisher's spot at UT. Every state in the SEC-I mean the South-would rush to poor money into primary education :idea:

Just consider: Why do so many who claim that affirmative action is so bad oppose higher standards for the athletes that they yell and cheer for on Saturday when perhaps 60% of those admitted student/athletes had weaker academic resumes than Abigail Fisher?
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:
Why are the boys and girls clubs uniquely positioned to render judgment that such expression of one's persona is in need of being stopped?

A thug is not positive thing in any community but justify it all you want.

Not justifying. Asked a question.

Let me try a different way.

If someone self identifies with a tweet such as, #thuglife, are you saying irrespective of their point of view, you've deemed it bad or negative or whatever and therefore so should that individual?
RGV Pony

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:51 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
malonish wrote:
mrydel wrote:Am I the only one that recognizes UT and A&M have black athletes also?

Nope, only we do. Checkmate Mrydel.

The issue is if you take the black athletes how does that effect the %. Seems like there is more recruitment of the black athlete than the "regular" black student. You take out the black athletes out of UT and A&M and it does not affect their % as much as SMU. Killen has a very good point.

You do realize the implication of such terrible percentages at UT where they have state policies in place specifically to elevate these numbers. They are actually being sued for this. Comparing a small private school to a gigantic public institution that has a stated goal of utilizing specific regulations to increase minority applications and attendance is the mental equivalent of, well, throwing a party advertising to free your inner thug. SMU must improve, but let's be honest here.

Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:53 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:
Why are the boys and girls clubs uniquely positioned to render judgment that such expression of one's persona is in need of being stopped?

A thug is not positive thing in any community but justify it all you want.

Not justifying. Asked a question.

Let me try a different way.

If someone self identifies with a tweet such as, #thuglife, are you saying irrespective of their point of view, you've deemed it bad or negative or whatever and therefore so should that individual?

Would you want a thug dating your daughter? Rodrod5 called them morons, do you agree?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby rodrod5 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:56 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
rodrod5 wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:
Point is that all black people that do not portray themselves like that. And I guess you must have taken a survey to know what % portray themselves as that. That was an ignorant stereotypical statement. And I definitely don't think the the people at the boys and girls clubs portray themselves as promoting that.

so what exactly is the concern then?

if the person that felt "slighted" in this article does not portray themselves that way then why are they upset about those that do portray themselves that way being made fun of

why does one race in particular always get upset at some "small portion of their race" that acts like fools being mocked like the fools that they are

why doesn't every white person get outraged when people make fun of white trash and get outraged if someone has a white trash party......could it be that they realize they are not a part of that group and they understand that the actions of that group are worthy of mockery and there is no redeeming value to that group no matter their skin color or the similarities of racial make up

if you want to be "judged as an individual" then stop fighting the battles of fools and morons based on the "collective" of similar race or skin color because that is YOU self identifying with that and that is you stepping away from being an individual and instead taking on the burden of fools because you share a race or a skin color with them

a fool is a fool no matter their race and poor behavior and ignorance is not redefined based on race or skin color and if you try and make it so or if you take on the burden of those fools and people mocking them because they have the same race or skin color as you then you should not expect to suddenly ask to also be treated as an individual when that suits you

If blacks had a poor white trash party there would be outrage. At least you are saying thugs are morons and negative images. I have no problem with that. What you you think about the % of black on campus minus the football and basketball team?

no one would care if blacks had a poor white trash party because the vast majority of people would not know because there would not be a stupid article written about it and if there was no one would still care

again that is the concept you can't seem to grasp some people do not take up for or associate with or feel slighted by the mockery of those worthy of being mocked even if they share a race or ethnicity with them

and SMU is a highly competitive university to get into and blacks generally under perform in high school graduation rates and in standardized testing and those that outperform are highly recruited by all universities even those with higher admissions metrics than SMU and I am also aware that there are many universities that specifically cater to blacks and are pretty much black only or an extremely high % of blacks and thus if you have a group that is a small % of the overall population, that under performs in specific metrics needed to get into competitive universities and that has universities that are specifically for that group it will be no surprise that many universities especially competitive ones will have a smaller % of that group as students

again it goes back to the concept that if you want to be treated and judged AS AN INDIVIDUAL then you will submit your metrics for admission and you will either be accepted as an INDIVIDUAL or you will not and if you ask to be treated and judged AS AN INDIVIDUAL and your INDIVIDUAL ENTRANCE METRICS do not gain you admission then you AS AN INDIVIDUAL should accept that and go to a school where your INDIVIDUAL METRICS gain you admissions

if you want to be TREATED AS AN INDIVIDUAL then you should not desire to be recruited based on being a part of a collective based on race or ethnic background instead you should desire to be recruited AS AN INDIVIDUAL based on YOUR INDIVIDUAL METRICS and if you as an INDIVIDUAL choose to go to a university where there is a smaller % of people that are the same race or ethnic group as you then YOU AS AN INDIVIDUAL should accept that YOU MADE THAT CHOICE

that does not mean that people should say mean things to you or they should make you feel uncomfortable, but if you get uncomfortable because people that share a race or ethnic background with you that also portray foolish and moronic behaviors are being mocked.....well perhaps you need to think about not associating yourself with those worthy of mockery simply because of a shared skin color or ethnicity and if that does not work for you then perhaps a university where that is celebrated or looked upon as cool and fun and a way to behave would be a better choice for you
rodrod5
Junior Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:58 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:You do realize the implication of such terrible percentages at UT where they have state policies in place specifically to elevate these numbers. They are actually being sued for this. Comparing a small private school to a gigantic public institution that has a stated goal of utilizing specific regulations to increase minority applications and attendance is the mental equivalent of, well, throwing a party advertising to free your inner thug. SMU must improve, but let's be honest here.

So you disagree with what Killen said?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:06 pm

Rodrod5, I don't know where you are getting your surveys from in your generalizations but there is an economic issue as well. Because you can be very score high but not afford the tuition. I would hope that one day SMU could match Vandy in their student add package. I believe that would greatly help attractive high test scoring African Americans to SMU as well.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:10 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:You do realize the implication of such terrible percentages at UT where they have state policies in place specifically to elevate these numbers. They are actually being sued for this. Comparing a small private school to a gigantic public institution that has a stated goal of utilizing specific regulations to increase minority applications and attendance is the mental equivalent of, well, throwing a party advertising to free your inner thug. SMU must improve, but let's be honest here.

I don't particularly care for rote statement of numbers with vague but baseless claims attached. I could infer from his post that SMU, and small private schools in general, are taking advantage of black athletes against their will by forcing them to attend said institution on a scholarship.

I want and expect SMU to do more as a community to increase the diversity of campus across the board. I also expect that they do this the right way. I don't ask about or infer that they are exploring athletes. I ask what they are doing to expand the viable applicant base of minority candidates for general admission and how they will make that experience more affordable. I hope SMU is asking this question in an honest fashion, because we know that the state and public sector have not honestly addressed this.

Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Picture of SMU Affirmative Action Policy in practice-these are the guys we support with our time and money through ticket sales and scholarship donations-isn't it a little hypocritical to deny other African-Americans the opportunities we afford these guys who we cheer for every game and denounce Affirmative Action as wrong?

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/smu/graphi ... ter-14.jpg

(same could be said about many universities)
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:17 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

I don't particularly care for rote statement of numbers with vague but baseless claims attached. I could infer from his post that SMU, and small private schools in general, are taking advantage of black athletes against their will by forcing them to attend said institution on a scholarship.

I want and expect SMU to do more as a community to increase the diversity of campus across the board. I also expect that they do this the right way. I don't ask about or infer that they are exploring athletes. I ask what they are doing to expand the viable applicant base of minority candidates for general admission and how they will make that experience more affordable. I hope SMU is asking this question in an honest fashion, because we know that the state and public sector have not honestly addressed this.

No, I don't think most would interpret him as saying they are forcing black athletes to come to SMU but that they are recruiting more effectively in the area of athletics and he has a point. Because they help us win and by winning we make more money and possibly advance to a P5 conference. So there seems to be more incentive. Hispanic students are not knocking it out of the ballpark on test scores as well but SMU seems to have about twice as many Hispanic students.

I would to agree with most of you later statement.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PerunasHoof » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:18 pm

Stallion wrote:Picture of SMU Affirmative Action Policy in practice-these are the guys we support with our time and money through ticket sales and scholarship donations-isn't it a little hypocritical to deny other African-Americans the opportunities we afford these guys who we cheer for every game and denounce Affirmative Action as wrong?

Very true. We could always go back to the days when the teams were actually made up from the student body and no scholarships.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:23 pm

Sports is the Incubator of racial change in America

Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Stallion wrote:Picture of SMU Affirmative Action Policy in practice-these are the guys we support with our time and money through ticket sales and scholarship donations-isn't it a little hypocritical to deny other African-Americans the opportunities we afford these guys who we cheer for every game and denounce Affirmative Action as wrong?

Good post.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop