PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU says No to Campus Carry

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU says No to Campus Carry

Postby b_caesar » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:39 am

Dec 18, 2015, 10:25 AM

To the SMU campus community,

For the past several weeks, I have solicited input from students, faculty and staff regarding Texas Senate Bill 11, more commonly known as the “campus carry” law. The law contains an option for private universities to opt out and ban concealed handguns after initiating discussion within the campus community.

After hearing from more than 1,300 students as well as from faculty and staff, I can now inform you that SMU will remain weapons free, as it has been since at least 1994. Although the final decision rested with me, it was made in consultation with the SMU Board of Trustees.

The process we followed was inclusive. Representatives from the SMU Offices of Legal Affairs, Student Affairs, and Police met with the SMU Faculty Senate, SMU Student Senate and the SMU Staff Advocacy Council this fall. Additionally, the SMU Debate program sponsored a student debate on the topic, and many of you provided feedback in response to a campus-wide letter from me and one from Student Senate leaders.

The results were overwhelmingly in favor of SMU remaining weapons free when the law goes into effect Aug. 1, 2016. More than two-thirds of students who responded to the Student Senate letter said they favored SMU remaining a weapons-free campus. In addition, faculty, staff and students supported SMU remaining weapons free by 10 to 1 in their online responses. The Faculty Senate also supported opting out by a large margin, with 17 voting in favor, three against and three abstaining.

Thanks to those of you who participated in this discussion and especially to those of you who provided feedback. We can now move forward knowing that SMU will remain weapons free for many years to come.

Sincerely,

President R. Gerald Turner
Southern Methodist University
Don't worry. Be Happy. Or not.
b_caesar
Heisman

Re: SMU says No to Campus Carry

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:51 am

well no one will carry if its the law.
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:57 pm

Now the only ones that will have guns will be the criminals.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PerunasHoof » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Now the only ones that will have guns will be the criminals.

And the police officers on campus who are actually trained for active shooters. But why mention them? An 18 year old whose sole experience with firearms is hunting on the ranch or taking a "very intensive" day long class where 90% of the time is spent by the instructor answering people's stupid questions doesn't need to be carrying a weapon to class.

I speak from both sides. I took the CHL class and had a permit before I entered 7 months of a federal LEO academy. You know what I learned from that? The me that had the CHL would have been worthless in a firefight. This isn't call of duty.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:30 pm

I'd like to point out that now Moody Coliseum has turned into a safe haven from mayhem :shock:
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:55 pm

I'm not opposed to guns in general, but drunk college kids with guns doesn't seem like it would be a good idea
CalallenStang

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:52 pm

Very foolish to advertise it. So stupid!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:05 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:

And the police officers on campus who are actually trained for active shooters. But why mention them? An 18 year old whose sole experience with firearms is hunting on the ranch or taking a "very intensive" day long class where 90% of the time is spent by the instructor answering people's stupid questions doesn't need to be carrying a weapon to class.

I speak from both sides. I took the CHL class and had a permit before I entered 7 months of a federal LEO academy. You know what I learned from that? The me that had the CHL would have been worthless in a firefight. This isn't call of duty.

Then you do realized that the most attacked places by mass shooters are gun free zones. At least allow the instructors to carry like some high schools do.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Junior » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:08 pm

CalallenStang wrote:I'm not opposed to guns in general, but drunk college kids with guns doesn't seem like it would be a good idea

Illegal to carry anywhere if impaired.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Junior wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:I'm not opposed to guns in general, but drunk college kids with guns doesn't seem like it would be a good idea

Well known but also illegal to drive anywhere if impaired and we know how that works out
CalallenStang

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:55 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
Junior wrote:

Well known but also illegal to drive anywhere if impaired and we know how that works out

What about allowing professors to carry at SMU?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Junior » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:59 am

CalallenStang wrote:
Junior wrote:

Very true. Then again, I from time to time will drive home after a beer or two. But I never carry after touching a drop.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:03 pm

Junior wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:
Junior wrote:[quote="CalallenStang"]I'm not opposed to guns in general, but drunk college kids with guns doesn't seem like it would be a good idea

It fits fine out of sight in your vehicle legally
One Trick Pony

Postby PerunasHoof » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:12 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
PerunasHoof wrote:

Then you do realized that the most attacked places by mass shooters are gun free zones. At least allow the instructors to carry like some high schools do.

Why would you think that 60 year old men or women with no prior experience with firearms would do any better?
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:36 pm

Why do you think 60 year olds automatically do not have experience or could not learn?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop