PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU says No to Campus Carry

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU says No to Campus Carry

Postby Digetydog » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:52 pm

EastStang wrote:I don't know what Texas requires to get a concealed carry permit. In Virginia you have to pass a rather rigorous background check and pass a firearms safety and proficiency course. But also in Virginia there is no law against unconcealed weapons. You can walk down the middle of a street with a pump shot gun and there's nothing illegal about that (just discharging it). At Liberty University, the President encouraged students to conceal carry. Shootings fall into a myriad of situations. (1) Drug related. (2) Gang related. (3) Domestic disturbance (usually with an unconcealed weapon - many times not a gun - remember Lorena Bobbitt). (4) Mass shooting. Armed students can help #4, but may increase the negatives of #1 and #3. Unless of course Aggies are involved which brings in #2.

Because of stringent requirements, Texas was one of five states that Virginia's AG didn't drop.

The dirty secret about the Virginia change is why the change happened. Because a Virginia had reciprocity agreements with so many states, a VA CCL was popular for residents in states like CT and NY that refuse to have reciprocity agreements with ANY other states. Without a permit from another state, a CT permit holder is land locked in an area the size of the Metroplex. By eliminating reciprocity from so many states, the anti-gun nuts struck a hard blow to legal gun possession.

With this change, Utah is going to get a lot of CCL applications.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby WildHorse » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:57 pm

Whether we would make good decisions with a legal gun is almost irrelevant. But the idea of letting students carry is horrifying. I made a lot of really stupid decisions when I was a student, even when I was accidentally sober.

But the idea of allowing guns on a campus where beer flows like BBQ sauce at Gary Patterson's house isa recipe for catastrophe.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:24 pm

WildHorse wrote:Whether we would make good decisions with a legal gun is almost irrelevant. But the idea of letting students carry is horrifying. I made a lot of really stupid decisions when I was a student, even when I was accidentally sober.

But the idea of allowing guns on a campus where beer flows like BBQ sauce at Gary Patterson's house isa recipe for catastrophe.

What about letting profs carry?
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
WildHorse wrote:Whether we would make good decisions with a legal gun is almost irrelevant. But the idea of letting students carry is horrifying. I made a lot of really stupid decisions when I was a student, even when I was accidentally sober.

There is a difference between Liberty (where no booze is allowed) and SMU (where lots of booze is tolerated). I guess the question is whether having students with guns would make students and faculty feel safer or not.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:12 pm

EastStang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

There is a difference between Liberty (where no booze is allowed) and SMU (where lots of booze is tolerated). I guess the question is whether having students with guns would make students and faculty feel safer or not.

No, not letting students carry is fine but should a referendum be introduced to allow only professors to carry?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:21 pm

What about letting it go?
CalallenStang

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:22 pm

Just a suggestion so our students and faculty won't be sitting ducks in a gun free zone.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Digetydog » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:31 pm

The simple fact is that:
- student or faculty member who wants to bring a firearm to class/work/dorms can (and already) do so.
- If they want to do harm to others, they can do so.
- If they are determined to do harm to others, they will do so.

Unless SMU sets up metal dectectors everywhere, there will be guns on campus. Passing laws that force law abiding people to be unprotected is why incidents like Sandy Hook, Aurora, and San Bernadino almost always happen in "gun free" zones.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:45 pm

Digetydog wrote:

The simple fact is that:
- student or faculty member who wants to bring a firearm to class/work/dorms can (and already) do so.

Unless SMU sets up metal dectectors everywhere, there will be guns on campus. Passing laws that force law abiding people to be unprotected is why incidents like Sandy Hook, Aurora, and San Bernadino almost always happen in "gun free" zones.

If everyone carries we can all get killed in the crossfire. I'm stoked.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:03 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:
Digetydog wrote:

The simple fact is that:

If everyone carries we can all get killed in the crossfire. I'm stoked.

If there is a gunfight going on, you want to be unarmed?
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:33 am

Weren't there going to be gunfights in Moody when SMU started selling alcohol?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:28 pm

Digetydog wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:So you are in favor of both increased mental health funding and loosening civil commitment laws? I just want to be sure I understand your position correctly.
Yes. It is cheaper (and more humane) to send someone to a mental health facility than it is to send them to prison and to send their victims to the hospital/morgue.

The idea that we can give the people with a serious mental illness a prescription and send them into the world is idiotic.

While some of the incidents could not have been prevented, the Aurora and Sandy Hook incidents didn’t have to happen and “Gun Control” wasn’t the solution. Both of those men needed to be institutionalized. Unfortunately, it takes an Act of God to get someone institutionalized against their will.

I agree. I'm asking because many of those advocating for open carry are also against increased mental health funding (government spending) and civil commitments (personal rights issue).
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

SMU says No to Campus Carry

Postby whitwiki » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:19 pm

Haven't the shootings in Texas all happened on military bases?
Last edited by whitwiki on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:19 pm

Well not all but the prominent ones
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:21 pm

whitwiki
Heisman

PreviousNext