PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU says No to Campus Carry

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU says No to Campus Carry

Postby SMUvet » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Correct me if I am wrong. A concealed carry (CHL) license and handgun purchases are limited to 21 and older. The campus carry law applies to CHL holders. The majority of college students are not 21 and would not have an interest in carrying.

I would also argue many LEOs are not that well trained. They just think they are as do people unfamiliar with what training they are given.
SMUvet
Scout Team

Postby BigT3x » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:58 pm

Bottom line: Right now, if you see someone walking around campus with a gun who isn't a cop you know something is wrong. The cops know something is wrong. It's straightforward.

Allowing guns on campus only adds ambiguity.

I'm a grad student and I voted against campus carry in the poll that went out. I'm glad a majority of my fellow students agreed with me.
BigT3x
All-American

Postby SMUvet » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:05 pm

True. But what if it is concealed until hell is unleashed?

I am no longer a student and don't care one way or the other but I hear a lot of misinformation.

As a former student and veteran I would feel safer if just the veterans carried. As a veteran I would almost not want that to be enacted because I would be held and hold myself tons higher standard. It would be a job everyday that you carried. But for that yellow ribbon program I would have been honored to sacrifice.
SMUvet
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:30 pm

I love and respect all our veterans but being from the Vietnam era, making a blanket statement that vets should be allowed is wrong. And the PTSS coming out with our current vets is a formula for disaster. Whoever is carrying, concealed or open, on campus or off, need to be properly trained. Period.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUvet » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:48 pm

im not sure how the era or that experience are relevant.

I am not advocating for a blanket veteran carry program or any program. I was make a comment about my own feeling of safety. In the grand scheme of things what makes me feel safe may not make others feel safe or actually be safe.

I think PTSD is a non issue as far as this fake program. If a veteran was truly suffering and wanted to harm others a carry program wouldn't make it any easier.

There are a large percent of veterans and service members that never touched a firearm. If that were a real program there would have to be standardization and qualifications. But if you think the LEOs on campus are well trained you are delusional.

Also worth noting, a lot of veterans and combat veterans have formal LEO training and experience from their service.
SMUvet
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:55 pm

I think we agree. I had formal training when I was a PI. We were not allowed to carry but we're prepared and eligible to be deputized by the Texas Rangers. (Not the baseball Texas Rangers) But in all honesty, I do not want that responsibility today but hope whoever does is well trained.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:36 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:Why would you think that 60 year old men or women with no prior experience with firearms would do any better?

I would not discriminate based on age. Also the NRA people have listed several times that a shooter has been neutralized by someone that had a CHL but you don't hear about it in the general media. Also, all the professors are not 60 and you would only carry a firearm if you are trained. Just like some Texas high schools do. Rather have that than be a sitting duck waiting on a police offer to come while a shooter is making a blood bath out of classroom or several classrooms. Again, this is not a foreign practice.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ponyboy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:29 pm

BigT3x wrote:Bottom line: Right now, if you see someone walking around campus with a gun who isn't a cop you know something is wrong.

That will help stop a bullet.
ponyboy

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:03 pm

If I'm planning a mass shooting, I want to be the only person in the room with a gun. These gun free zone things are so stupid...no would-be mass killer cancels their shooting spree because there's a no guns sign on the door
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby whitwiki » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:28 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
PerunasHoof wrote:Why would you think that 60 year old men or women with no prior experience with firearms would do any better?

I would not discriminate based on age. Also the NRA people have listed several times that a shooter has been neutralized by someone that had a CHL but you don't hear about it in the general media. Also, all the professors are not 60 and you would only carry a firearm if you are trained. Just like some Texas high schools do. Rather have that than be a sitting duck waiting on a police offer to come while a shooter is making a blood bath out of classroom or several classrooms. Again, this is not a foreign practice.
how about all the times two people get in an argument and one gets shot? Happens all the time. Probably much more likely than a mass shooting situation.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:29 pm

ponyboy wrote:
BigT3x wrote:Bottom line: Right now, if you see someone walking around campus with a gun who isn't a cop you know something is wrong.

That will help stop a bullet.
I hear fake [deleted] will.
whitwiki
Heisman

[deleted]
whitwiki
Heisman

We should lift the law on forced concealed [deleted]. For the kids!
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:04 am

Rebel10 wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:
Junior wrote:[quote="CalallenStang"]I'm not opposed to guns in general, but drunk college kids with guns doesn't seem like it would be a good idea

Illegal to carry anywhere if impaired.

Well known but also illegal to drive anywhere if impaired and we know how that works out

What about allowing professors to carry at SMU?[/quote]

I think there is less risk to professor carry
CalallenStang

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:07 am

whitwiki wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

how about all the times two people get in an argument and one gets shot? Happens all the time. Probably much more likely than a mass shooting situation.

I am talking about professors that would want to volunteer and go through training, not campus wide student carry. Also on another note, in states that allow carry permits there is less crime.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop