PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Eagles fire Chip Kelly

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Eagles fire Chip Kelly

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:04 pm

I don't think Texas will fire Coach Strong tomorrow but....
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Eagles fire Chip Kelly

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:32 am

I bet USC wished they knew this would've happened before retaining their interim coach.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:34 am

Imagine

RT @miketsylorshow assuming Chip Kelly takes a year off: how delicious would a $$ war for his services between @Longhorn_FB and @AggieFootball be?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:00 am

He says he wants to stay in the NFL
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby stc9 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:36 am

Kelly is owed +/- $12.5 million by the Eagles (2 years). Whether he takes another job or not all depends on what that contract says. Does he still get the money if he takes a college job? I'm almost positive that he loses that money if he takes an NFL job.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:03 pm

stc9 wrote:Kelly is owed +/- $12.5 million by the Eagles (2 years). Whether he takes another job or not all depends on what that contract says. Does he still get the money if he takes a college job? I'm almost positive that he loses that money if he takes an NFL job.

He gets that $12.5 million no matter what. Now if he takes another NFL job his new team covers up the the amount he's owed. So for discussion purposes, if he takes 2 years and 10 million, the Eagles would then only owe him $2.5 million. Chip seems like he wants to work and not sit on the couch for $12.5 million, but Avery Johnson did just that when Cuban fired him. Sat and waited for his contract to end before getting another job.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:49 pm

mavsrage311 wrote:
stc9 wrote:Kelly is owed +/- $12.5 million by the Eagles (2 years). Whether he takes another job or not all depends on what that contract says. Does he still get the money if he takes a college job? I'm almost positive that he loses that money if he takes an NFL job.

He gets that $12.5 million no matter what. Now if he takes another NFL job his new team covers up the the amount he's owed. So for discussion purposes, if he takes 2 years and 10 million, the Eagles would then only owe him $2.5 million. Chip seems like he wants to work and not sit on the couch for $12.5 million, but Avery Johnson did just that when Cuban fired him. Sat and waited for his contract to end before getting another job.

I believe you're correct about the contract structure if he took another coaching job, but if it were a non-coaching position like TV analyst or radio show host, or even general manager or athletic director, any job that doesnt have "coach" in the title, he gets his new salary and keeps the 12.5 million. I have no idea if he would want to go that route for a year, but he could potentially stay close to the game and double dip on his salary. I think the real question is will another team give him control over personnel decisions, which was apparently the breaking point with the eagles.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:24 pm

I find it hard to believe but it was reported this morning that not only did he want to stay in the NFL but did not care to have player control. If that is true I am not sure why he could not have worked things out with Philly but that is what I heard.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby lwjr » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:26 pm

Maybe being fired changed his mine
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Kelly had lost all support from the Philadelphia fans and the situation was beyond the point of no return. He did jettison 3 gifted players who captured the attention of the media, but local reporting suggests they were huge problems off the field with their entourages, PNG in many establishments and difficult to fit into a team concept based on their egos. No doubt he inherited a better team talent wise than the current roster. He appears to be a very good coach, but not the best judge of talent. He may be like his predecessors Ray Rhodes and Andy Reed as good coaches who require a GM to makes personnel decisions.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:25 am

Pocono must have missed the cavalcade of Eagles players on the news tonight basically dragging Kelly through the mud regarding his leadership, sorry to adapt to pro players, ability to adapt to the NFL game, and compete inability to adapt in game to changes. All that, and several specifically suggested he is just a [deleted] than no one liked.

I do love witnessing this dumpster fire first hand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby WildBillPony » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:32 pm

With a disappointing season and losing all those QB's to transfer, I could see A&M firing Sumlin and hiring Chip
WildBillPony
Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:45 am

Puckhead48E wrote:Pocono must have missed the cavalcade of Eagles players on the news tonight basically dragging Kelly through the mud regarding his leadership, sorry to adapt to pro players, ability to adapt to the NFL game, and compete inability to adapt in game to changes. All that, and several specifically suggested he is just a [deleted] than no one liked.

I do love witnessing this dumpster fire first hand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PH media has covered and discussed every possible problem with Kelly since he was hired. Everything from he does not relate to black players, he is not warm and fuzzy, his practices are too tough, he expects his teams to be in better condition and pushes fitness, his offense is too precise and he is a perfectionist, his practices are too long and tiring, players cannot communicate with him and/or he will not listen to complaints and the list goes on. I take some of the negative comments as some what petty coming from players with big egos and pampered. Kelly did not play favorites, have pet players and kept everything on a purely business level. Probably not a style that wins friends at the pro level. Some what similar in style to Coughlin of the Giants who is bottom line and no nonsense.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby whitwiki » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:02 pm

Except coughlin has two superbowls
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:12 pm

Coaches shouldnt be GMs. Belichick is the lone exception.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop